Re-read week 92: Injustice Gang 8 - 13

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 92: Injustice Gang 8 - 13

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Injustice Gang 8 9 10 11 12 13
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 92: Injustice Gang 8 - 13

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:19 pm

My favourite part in this sequence has to be in #11, with Charlotte's over-the-top supervillainy facial expression and body language ("Kidnap her rat?") and Meg's dissing Samantha ("Maybe we could rip off a movie plot").
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Oh shut the FUCK UP Samantha. Xena was racist as fuck. Penny is not.

And God Karen...how the Hell did you convince Marshall to forgive you? I can hardly wait for karma to kick her ass.

Really Stan? Really? Just cuz ya see cleavage doesn't mean you're getting sex. Or anything like that.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:15 pm

Charlotte is disappoint that they aren't going after Katy Ann.

(Hint to Karen: Katy Ann probably would not be interested in going after Charlotte.)

Does Charlotte have a specific problem with Aggie, or is this more of her free-floating rage? (Or is she just happy to see a tool to use against Penny?)

"They can redefine what cool is" AHAHHAHAHAHA

"What she did to Rich." Uh huh.

Stan is not quite at his grossest here, but he's certainly getting there.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Tamar » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Adrishiana wrote:Does Charlotte have a specific problem with Aggie, or is this more of her free-floating rage? (Or is she just happy to see a tool to use against Penny?)

I'm not sure, but I think she may resent Aggie for siding with Helen over the Katy-Ann frame-up plot.
Rebhel wrote:I happen to like Lisa BECAUSE of the way she speaks. If you don't get her, oh well... you are the one missing out.

Go ask Alice; I think she'll know.
Tamar

Postby Twitcher » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:05 am

[quote=LadyObvious23]Xena was racist as fuck. Penny is not.[/quote]

Remember, Samantha does not know either of these facts at the time, and though that doesn't make her actions defensible, it gives them context.

1.Looking at this group, you'd think none of them were all that bright. (But note Cyndi conflating notoriety with popularity.)
2. And we know Meg's underinformed, at the very least.
3. Aggie is so awesome OMG! If any of the cool kids at my school Snoopy danced, they'da been laughed off the floor.
4. Ugh. Here come sixteen-year-olds talking like fifty-six year old politicos...
5. ... right now.
6. You're sixteen! Use slang! Refer to sex as sex rather than dancing around it! Say you're horny! Crack a joke about purity balls being blue! AAAAAAGGGHHH!
Twitcher

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:17 am

Adrishiana wrote:Does Charlotte have a specific problem with Aggie, or is this more of her free-floating rage?

Well, I'd also wager that Aggie more than anyone else represents a sort of liberal modernity which Charlotte has been taught to hate.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 am

I'm amused that, given how quickly they assume stereotypes that AREN'T there, the Injustice Gang DOESN'T draw the obvious conclusion about Sara's wardrobe change.
FlyingFish

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:50 pm

thebitterfig wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:Does Charlotte have a specific problem with Aggie, or is this more of her free-floating rage?

Well, I'd also wager that Aggie more than anyone else represents a sort of liberal modernity which Charlotte has been taught to hate.

Hah. True.

Twitcher wrote:3. Aggie is so awesome OMG! If any of the cool kids at my school Snoopy danced, they'da been laughed off the floor.

From what I remember I think if the cool kids at my school Snoopy danced it'd probably be done as a joke and taken as such. Basically, as long as it wasn't done particularly seriously it probably would have been considered amusing, although I'm actually not entirely sure any of us (myself included) would recognize it as a Snoopy dance so much as just "dancing funny."

I am not sure the Aggies could have particularly redefined coolness where I went to school, all the same. Aggie's interest in politics and charitable causes would probably not be taken amiss, but the earlier strident judginess wouldn't have been any less of an issue. I'm inclined to think Fred would have largely faded into the background (though probably relatively few people would have had an issue with his being gay). Daphne would largely depend on what face she showed to the student body, so either "background fade" or "petty jerk." Lisa 1.0 probably wouldn't have gotten much attention (there were plenty of kids dressed similarly where I went to school, and no one raised an eyebrow other than at the *kid who also happened to have a habit of shoving safety pins through his flesh, which, in that case, was not an issue of how he dressed so much as, I guess, how he chose to accessorize!), though I have a feeling the soda can thing and HOW DARE YOU BE RELIGIOUS IN MY PRESENCE thing at Katy Ann (though I don't think there were any witnesses to the latter?) wouldn't have made her well-liked. Lisa 2.0's lack of respect for others, behavior calculated to be as SPECIAL and UNIQUE and ATTENTION-GETTING as possible, and generally studied snowflakeness probably would have been considered overall pretty grating.

*Jason was certainly a character. The administration had some things to say about the safety pin piercing.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:28 pm

Aggie's gang seem to be pretty "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" type deal to them which kinda made them believe they were better than Penny and her friends.. Like they think their better for looking like hot topic threw up on themselves,don't drink or seem to have sex,or 'act straight' in Sara's case. Which seems really sex shaming and gross.

Especially on Aggie and Lisa's part. Cuz wow.

Daphne,when Sara came out to her and all that,turned into a fucking woman version of a "Nice Guy". Basically "Well you came out to me,I was nice to you and I know you're a good person. But because you haven't sexed me up,I'mma believe you and the girl I think is eeeeebil because she's popular and not into me are rapists. So fuck you!" type of dick to be exact.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 pm

And she totally believes Sarah has a thing for Penny all the way through their farce of a relationship.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:44 pm

How the fuck can you believe a YouTube video over the person you spent time with and got to know? Just how the motherfucking hell do you manage that bullshit?

She recently came out,never dated before or flirted before and wow. Just because she's not BEGGING you for a fucking date or getting that you're hitting on her DOES NOT MEAN SHE'S A RAPIST. OR SHE'D BE DISGUSTING ENOUGH TO DO SOMETHING AS AWFUL AS THAT. WHAT THE HELL? You know her well enough to fucking know that she'd never do something like that to another person!! D=< UGGGHHHHH.
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 am

Tamar wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:Does Charlotte have a specific problem with Aggie, or is this more of her free-floating rage? (Or is she just happy to see a tool to use against Penny?)

I'm not sure, but I think she may resent Aggie for siding with Helen over the Katy-Ann frame-up plot.

And seeing her ugly side. Up until then Aggie thought they were rebels like her until she saw how far Charlotte was willing to go to attack one of Penny's friends. After screaming at Helen Charlotte retreated to the bathroom to berate her reflection out of guilt and shame. She probably found some moral justification for what she did to alleviate her guilt, but she knows Aggie was a witness to all this so she probably justified that Aggie is just as bad for "representing a sort of liberal modernity which Charlotte has been taught to hate," as bitterfig puts it.
brasca

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:52 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:How the fuck can you believe a YouTube video over the person you spent time with and got to know? Just how the motherfucking hell do you manage that bullshit?

She recently came out,never dated before or flirted before and wow. Just because she's not BEGGING you for a fucking date or getting that you're hitting on her DOES NOT MEAN SHE'S A RAPIST. OR SHE'D BE DISGUSTING ENOUGH TO DO SOMETHING AS AWFUL AS THAT. WHAT THE HELL? You know her well enough to fucking know that she'd never do something like that to another person!! D=< UGGGHHHHH.

It's pretty awesome how she does not so much as ask Sara for her side of the story (as it were). She's not even standing up for Charlotte, she's standing up for her own bruised feelings and unfondled ladybits.

timemonkey wrote:And she totally believes Sarah has a thing for Penny all the way through their farce of a relationship.

I think someone asked this of T at one point, but I remain curious as to what ever inspired Sara to actually tell Daphne she'd had a crush on Penny, even if only for a few days and as a kid.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 am

Maybe she thought she could trust Daphne to not be a total bitch....for some unknown reason.
timemonkey

Next

Return to General Discussion