Re-read week 91: Injustice Gang 2 - 7

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Re-read week 91: Injustice Gang 2 - 7

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Helen outted Sara. That's who I'm specifically speaking of and she's fucking garbage for doing so.

Angry judgments about people based on an impossibly high set morality bar. Thank you so much this feels just like the old days.

Yes how dare I judge the little drunken asshat for telling secrets she fucking shouldn't had,sober or not,and putting people's lives at risk. So bad on me. Such evil. Much awful.
Last edited by LadyObvious23 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Well, Lisa did the outing (or, at least, attempted to); Karen and co. did the accusing.

brasca wrote:Angry judgments about people based on an impossibly high set morality bar. Thank you so much this feels just like the old days. :roll:

I feel like not intentionally outing someone is not really that high of a morality standard to meet.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Lisa didn't out anyone to anyone. She didn't even out Sarah to herself.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 pm

No one said anything about Lisa. The hell are you ignoring that Helen outted Sara for?
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Adrishiana wrote:Well, Lisa did the outing (or, at least, attempted to); Karen and co. did the accusing.

brasca wrote:Angry judgments about people based on an impossibly high set morality bar. Thank you so much this feels just like the old days. :roll:

I feel like not intentionally outing someone is not really that high of a morality standard to meet.

Lady Obvious 23 doesn't hold St. Katy Ann in the highest esteem because of her somewhat personal reasons for revealing Penny and Rich's location to the Levacs so no one in this strip is going to live up to her standards, but whatever.

I still think that Helen might have a secret ability that can only be unlocked when drunk and maybe she, Yolanda "Drunk Girl," and Sandra Arden from Sandra on the Rocks could form a crime fighting trio in a totally new spinoff. A Charlie's Angels of drunks!
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Excuse me? When did I ever "condemn" Katy Ann? I was meh on Katy Ann's thing. The reason wasn't really right. "You weren't being super obedient to your parents like I am.". Instead of saying that she was uncomfortable with lying or that Rich wasn't good for her. Which makes more sense cuz he really wasn't.

And how is not intentionally outting someone too high of a fucking moral standard? Gee. Feel bad for anyone you know who ain't straight.
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Assuming this is what you're talking about:

LadyObvious23 wrote:"Too willful" in other words "think for yourselves too much and should be doing everything your parents say". :/

With this:
brasca wrote:Lady Obvious 23 doesn't hold St. Katy Ann in the highest esteem because of her somewhat personal reasons for revealing Penny and Rich's location to the Levacs so no one in this strip is going to live up to her standards, but whatever.

That's not really across-the-board condemnation, it's disagreement with a single action and/or the motives for performing it.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Twitcher » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:31 am

http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=505
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=506

Like it or not, Lisa did put in that little request, and justified it, too!

http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=513

Delightfully zany, no? And unlike Helen, who I admit, will have a lot to answer for in upcoming strips, Lisa outed Sara while in full possession of all her mental faculties.
Twitcher

Postby FlyingFish » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:59 am

We're a little off-topic at this point, but Lisa reminds me of Starbuck from the BSG remake: both get away with a lot of unthought-out crap early on in their stories because they somehow make that crap work. And then, at some point, said crap STOPS working; it turns out they weren't incredibly skilled or anything, they were just coasting on luck the entire time, and that lucky streak just ended.

Lisa, in the final months of P&A, and throughout QUILTBAG, has run out of luck, and her impulsive non-strategy starts to hurt both herself and people around her. Dating Stan burns bridges with Penny, and eventually leaves herself heartbroken as well. And her fling with Chrissie was a total disaster for both of them.

When you're counting on luck to succeed, what you are doing is NOT the right call, even if the luck comes through this time. So no, I don't think what Lisa did at the party was right, even if it happened to work out for the best that time.

(Says the person who still has a Lisa profile pic. I know.)
FlyingFish

Postby lilithanat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:22 am

I'm amused at how much debate Lisa and Helen provoke when they're not even in the chapter under discussion. If they didn't exist (as characters), we'd have to invent them. :lol:
A totally valid...corruption.
lilithanat

Postby Adrishiana » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:08 am

FlyingFish wrote:Lisa, in the final months of P&A, and throughout QUILTBAG, has run out of luck, and her impulsive non-strategy starts to hurt both herself and people around her. Dating Stan burns bridges with Penny, and eventually leaves herself heartbroken as well. And her fling with Chrissie was a total disaster for both of them.

When you're counting on luck to succeed, what you are doing is NOT the right call, even if the luck comes through this time. So no, I don't think what Lisa did at the party was right, even if it happened to work out for the best that time.

Even her relationship with Stan may not necessarily have been exactly a problem - I don't think Penny would have approved, sure, but it is in within the realm of possibility (if awkward) to have a significant other (fuckbuddy, whatever) your friends don't like. The campaign to ease him back into her friends' good graces via dishonesty and manipulation (which lasted around two months) probably sealed the deal, though.

The strangest thing about that plan is perhaps that she grew angry with her friends when it didn't work immediately after indirectly admitting she'd misread Stan, who, whether or not you think he deserved some sort of compensation for loaning out an expensive piece of equipment, rarely does much without first considering how it benefits Stan (whereas a dose of altruism was somewhat necessary for the plan to even start to work).

So ultimately I think I'd say that an additional problem with a lot of Lisa's actions and strategies is that she doesn't seem to have a great deal of respect for others, including close friends.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Twitcher wrote:http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=505
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=506

Like it or not, Lisa did put in that little request, and justified it, too!

http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=513

Delightfully zany, no? And unlike Helen, who I admit, will have a lot to answer for in upcoming strips, Lisa outed Sara while in full possession of all her mental faculties.

No. She just kissed her finger and tapped Sara's nose. To anyone else that's just Lisa not respecting Sara's personal space. Not outting.

And being drunk doesn't excuse what Helen did. She was also a fucking spy that helped these assholes find out weak spots in Penny and Aggie's groups. Which is absolutely disgusting.
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:22 pm

It wasn't just the tap. Her song request did say, and I quote "...Lesbians. Lesbians. Lezzy Lesbo Lesbians."
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Unless one of those kids was Batman,I doubt they'd make the connection. Hell Sara wore stereotypical lesbian clothes and no one got it.

Also Lisa was considered super weird inuniverse. They probably either assumed Lisa was gay or she requested it for a friend. Like maybe Daphne?
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Re: Lisa burning bridges with Penny by dating Stan, did Lisa really care? She was Aggie's friend, Penny became Aggie's friend then girlfriend, that seemed to be the extent of their relationship. They weren't really talking or hanging out or invested in each other at all outside of Aggie.
timemonkey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion