Re-read week 91: Injustice Gang 2 - 7

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 91: Injustice Gang 2 - 7

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Injustice Gang 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 91: Injustice Gang 2 - 7

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:27 pm

No Karen,you nearly pushed a person to commit suicide. Had someone push a girl into an eating disorder. And outed a lesbian by having Charlotte do a fake rape report. Which fucking nearly ruined Sara's life and could have gotten her killed.

You are human garbage.

Samantha is also human trash for comparing a white girl to nazis.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby TCampbell » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:38 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:No Karen,you nearly pushed a person to commit suicide. Had someone push a girl into an eating disorder. And outed a lesbian by having Charlotte do a fake rape report. Which fucking nearly ruined Sara's life and could have gotten her killed.

You are human garbage.

Well, she hasn't done any of that YET.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:47 pm

I wonder how Karen and her co-conspirators would've managed to drive a wedge between Sara and Penny if they hadn't found out, back then, that Sara was gay. The rape slander became such an integral part of their machinations it's easy to forget it was something they cooked up pretty much on the spot after an intoxicated Helen's unexpected revelation.

In fact, I think I'll ask T.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:15 am

2: Brandi's comment is unusually on-the-nose for someone who dislikes drama and works hard to avoid it. (Which is not to say that Brandi is attempting to start dramas gratia drama, just that such a comment seems like something she'd keep to herself.)

7: Karen's analysis is kind of awesome given that Katy Ann and Charlotte have very little in common beyond the fact that both are religious (since even their religious beliefs share very little) and Sam and Brandi are likewise quite dissimilar. Does she also think a member of the Phelps family would be an analog to a Christian Universalist?

Not to mention that Penny's less than angelic actions, outside of how she brought Meg down (and if Meg was brought down that easily, her throne may have been pretty precarious to start with), have generally consisted of snotty comments, as compared to... well, everything Karen will go on to do, not to mention the reason she's doing it to start with.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 am

TCampbell wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:No Karen,you nearly pushed a person to commit suicide. Had someone push a girl into an eating disorder. And outed a lesbian by having Charlotte do a fake rape report. Which fucking nearly ruined Sara's life and could have gotten her killed.

You are human garbage.

Well, she hasn't done any of that YET.

She's still done it. And man that literally kills any point she might have ever made.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:11 am

1. Okay, I still don't understand why or how they approached Cyndi to be their friend in the first place. Pen's dialogue makes it sound like it very well was cheerleading tryouts.

2. And Pen's shift in personality from this...

3. To this in a couple of minutes is hard to believe.

4. Boxer shorts? Doesn't matter. In 2008 as well as now, Pen and her friends would've been expelled for that stunt.

5. This whole strip points out the myriad ways Karen is wrong in her assessment of her "friends."

6. Want to build an alliance? Know how to read. Books, people: Knowing where people are coming from helps you know who they are.
MEG is as far from Sara as humanly possible, she wants to be number one and is willing to use Karen to get to that point.
CYNDI: Protip: If someone describes you as "visual relief" and they aren't composing a photo or painting a picture, they're an idiot. What we knew of Cyndi then was very little, but she did seem obsessed with image and stardom, a bad sign. (but something I wish had been better developed from an earlier point).
CHARLOTTE: Charlotte, as outright stated on her character page, does not have focus. Her rage is free-floating. She's manic, psychotic, and her unpredictable behavior has already been shown to be dangerous.
SAMANTHA: Wears her insecurity on her sleeve. And frankly, I wish there were more to her than that. A sizable amount of angry white men and women haven't processed Obama's election either, which, you'd think, would make Samantha justified in some of her anger. But nope, she's just being silly! *sigh*
KAREN: Does not work/play well with others.

7. Honestly, I can't believe they're doing this at a mall.
Twitcher

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Twitcher wrote:2. And Pen's shift in personality from this...

3. To this in a couple of minutes is hard to believe.

I can see it workable on a couple points. First, she was solo in #2; in #3 she's with her friends and has had time to recover, and do some plotting even. Second, dealing with someone you're attracted to is different from dealing with someone you're not, especially in the early years of puberty when you're still adapting to the hormones.
FlyingFish

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Twitcher wrote:SAMANTHA: Wears her insecurity on her sleeve. And frankly, I wish there were more to her than that. A sizable amount of angry white men and women haven't processed Obama's election either, which, you'd think, would make Samantha justified in some of her anger. But nope, she's just being silly! *sigh*

Agree with you on that. Recently, PBS aired a marathon repeat of the documentary miniseries The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross. One of the major points the final episode made was that while the election of America's first African American president was indeed a significant milestone, by no means has it signifiied "the end of racism" in America, a "post-racial America," or any of the wishful-thinking catchphrases some journalists and pundits were tossing around. Black Americans are still more likely than white Americans to receive jail sentences (and of longer duration) for the same offences and, where applicable, to end up on death row. There are still, a century and a half after the Jim Crow laws, attempts by privileged white legislators to impose voting restrictions in such a way that "just happens" to disproportionately affect African Americans. And those are just the more overt cases of how deeply embedded racism still is in American society. So I too feel Samantha is justified in feeling resentful and angry.

That said, Samantha did some genuinely wrong things, in the course of "The Popsicle War," that, whatever her intentions, can't be explained away as fighting white privilege and discrimination against people of colour. She designed the poster that was part of the homophobic slander campaign against Sara. She participated in the "out Duane as a secret Muslim 'terrorist'" campaign even though she knew very well that "Muslim" is NOT inherently synonymous with "terrorist." So despite, presumably, not being any more inherently anti-gay or anti-Muslim than Karen was, Samantha was willing to throw members of both minorities under the bus. What this all means is that while Samantha's anger is more understandable and more justified than the comic (and that Cast page blurb) presented it as, even so she doesn't come off to this reader as a sympathetic character overall.
Alice Macher

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Following up on an earlier post:

Alice Macher wrote:I wonder how Karen and her co-conspirators would've managed to drive a wedge between Sara and Penny if they hadn't found out, back then, that Sara was gay. The rape slander became such an integral part of their machinations it's easy to forget it was something they cooked up pretty much on the spot after an intoxicated Helen's unexpected revelation.

And here is T's answer.
Alice Macher

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 pm

This isn't entirely applicable here, but Ta-Nehisi Coates' amazing piece on reparations and housing discrimination:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... ns/361631/
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby brasca » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:57 am

Alice Macher wrote:Following up on an earlier post:

Alice Macher wrote:I wonder how Karen and her co-conspirators would've managed to drive a wedge between Sara and Penny if they hadn't found out, back then, that Sara was gay. The rape slander became such an integral part of their machinations it's easy to forget it was something they cooked up pretty much on the spot after an intoxicated Helen's unexpected revelation.

And here is T's answer.

Interesting outcome. I suppose that could be one of the 2020 Penny's fate. It also makes me think that it might have been a good thing for Helen to drunkenly out Sara since the Injustice Gang could have done a lot more damage if they hadn't acted prematurely. So as you can plainly see Helen is the unsung hero. :wink:

Sorry I have a knee jerk reaction to defending the girl. We're almost at the point in the story when I began reading and then joined the tea room. I was motivated largely because I felt and still do to some extent that she was being too heavily maligned.

Karen misjudged the people she included into her group which is largely why it was doomed to failure. They all wanted to take down the queen, but for different reasons which is why their group fell apart shortly after she declared victory. I do think Meg was perfectly justified in her quest for revenge. I take a very dim view of what Penny and her friends did. It was bad enough in approximately 2006, but people have actually committed suicide over that kind of thing.

And seeing as how Braz wasn't much of a prize I think Meg deserves a kudos for thwarting Penny's attempt to flirt. No winking. I'm serious about that one.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:25 am

brasca wrote:

And here is T's answer.

Interesting outcome. I suppose that could be one of the 2020 Penny's fate. It also makes me think that it might have been a good thing for Helen to drunkenly out Sara since the Injustice Gang could have done a lot more damage if they hadn't acted prematurely. So as you can plainly see Helen is the unsung hero. :wink:

Sorry I have a knee jerk reaction to defending the girl. We're almost at the point in the story when I began reading and then joined the tea room. I was motivated largely because I felt and still do to some extent that she was being too heavily maligned.

Karen misjudged the people she included into her group which is largely why it was doomed to failure. They all wanted to take down the queen, but for different reasons which is why their group fell apart shortly after she declared victory. I do think Meg was perfectly justified in her quest for revenge. I take a very dim view of what Penny and her friends did. It was bad enough in approximately 2006, but people have actually committed suicide over that kind of thing.

And seeing as how Braz wasn't much of a prize I think Meg deserves a kudos for thwarting Penny's attempt to flirt. No winking. I'm serious about that one.

OUTING SOMEONE COULD LITERALLY PUT THEIR FUCKING LIFE IN DANGER SHE IS FUCKING TRASH FOR DOING SO. TRASH.
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:10 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
brasca wrote:

And here is T's answer.

OUTING SOMEONE COULD LITERALLY PUT THEIR FUCKING LIFE IN DANGER SHE IS FUCKING TRASH FOR DOING SO. TRASH.

Angry judgments about people based on an impossibly high set morality bar. Thank you so much this feels just like the old days. :roll:
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:29 am

They didn't "out" her, they accused her of rape. Outing someone against their will si terrible, but this is a thousand times worse.
timemonkey

Next

Return to General Discussion