Re-read week 89: Bridge Out 15 - Live Free of Dye 3

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 89: Bridge Out 15 - Live Free of Dye 3

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Bridge Out 15 16 17
Live Free of Dye 1 2 3
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 89: Bridge Out 15 - Live Free of Dye 3

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:28 pm

"Too willful" in other words "think for yourselves too much and should be doing everything your parents say". :/
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Tamar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Lisa's spoof ghost story is...awkward now, but since Michael Jackson was very much alive (though not exactly well) when that strip first ran, it's not T's fault. That said, her crack about Deliverance in the previous strip, being a rape joke, was in bad taste (I assume intentionally, given Aggie's reaction). She's definitely in transition here from her old "angry punk" personality to her "kooky gadfly" one. Still to come: the constant memeing.
Rebhel wrote:I happen to like Lisa BECAUSE of the way she speaks. If you don't get her, oh well... you are the one missing out.

Go ask Alice; I think she'll know.
Tamar

Postby brasca » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:34 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:"Too willful" in other words "think for yourselves too much and should be doing everything your parents say". :/

When the parents are right then yes. This was a really stupid decision on Penny's part done out of passion and in nearly every alternate reality it never worked out.

Tamar wrote:Lisa's spoof ghost story is...awkward now, but since Michael Jackson was very much alive (though not exactly well) when that strip first ran, it's not T's fault. That said, her crack about Deliverance in the previous strip, being a rape joke, was in bad taste (I assume intentionally, given Aggie's reaction). She's definitely in transition here from her old "angry punk" personality to her "kooky gadfly" one. Still to come: the constant memeing.

People have been making fun of what happened in Deliverance years before this strip was created so I don't see it being in bad taste. However, it's a little bit cliche for someone like Lisa.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 am

Rape Jokes are always disgusting bullshit that should never fucking be done because they're not funny.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:32 am

15. If this is the way you earn your faux Ph. D., Katy Ann, I want no part of it.

16. And exactly how did she think she was going to get out of this without someone else getting blamed?

17. I've been on the receiving end of the kind of crap Katy Ann's selling. It's not so easy to forgive.

1. Lisa, you are a creep.

2. More relevant these days, however... "They say he's dead... that's what they say... but he just put out that album..."

3. *Sigh*
Twitcher

Postby brasca » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:51 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Rape Jokes are always disgusting bullshit that should never fucking be done because they're not funny.

It's not like she's joking about something that actually happened. It was a movie. Ned Beatty wasn't raped in real life.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Dude that's still disgusting.
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Meh, if it's not real it doesn't matter.
timemonkey

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Willfulness is one of those words, like gifts or headship. You hear those, and it tells you something specific about the speaker. Good use of word choice from T. on this.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:34 am

I wish we could have seen the end of this internal debate, and which reason to tell Mrs. Levac pushed her over, but I don't think even K-A knows which it was as of #16. Maybe it was a little of everything.

I don't think it was fair of Penny to ask K-A to go against her morals in covering for her, but that in itself is not enough reason, at least not one she could have given Penny in that moment.
FlyingFish

Return to General Discussion