Re-read week 87: Bridge Out 1 - 8

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 87: Bridge Out 1 - 8

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:02 pm

Bridge Out 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 87: Bridge Out 1 - 8

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Poor Katy Ann. Though maybe it was good she did what she did. They really weren't good together.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 am

Strange that Karen and Marshall's high school is K-12. I've heard of a few schools that have every grade under one roof, but usually those are in rural areas where it's a necessity or towns with a decreasing population that requires consolidation. Bellville doesn't appear to be a rural town nor a rustbelt city so it's notable.
brasca

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:17 pm

I feel for Rich in this sequence. Up until #8 he's been trying so hard to be patient with Penny's constant patting herself on the back. Penny really does love Rich, and doesn't mean any harm with her behaviour, but for all her talk about leaving her privileged life behind, she's still showing her classism and thereby reminding Rich of the gap between them. I'd even say she's "slumming it," that is, acting as if living a limited-income, transient life were an exciting adventure as opposed to a harsh, uncertain and possibly lifelong existence. Granted, Rich, being young and having had at least some stability in his life, if not nearly as much disposable income, may not yet be fully aware of what lies ahead either, but having been forced to leave school and home, he at least has rather fewer options than Penny does. It's not hard to see why her attitude would grate on him after a while.

So I agree that Katy-Ann's decision, painful as it was for her to make and hurtful/betraying to Penny as it was in the short term, was for the best. It was better for Penny+Rich to end with a quick and relatively clean break, rather than the two of them toughing it out--perhaps marrying, having kids, or both--thus rendering a breakup much messier and more painful once they came to realize they weren't right for each other after all. Katy-Ann's choice also spared Lynda and Rob a great deal of anguish. (Although the scene, in next week's sequence, where they come for Penny is mostly played for laughs because of the "Charisma" misunderstanding, we see much later, from Rob's ranting at the FBI agent, how Penny's running away really made them feel. Let's also not forget about Rob's chronic hypertension and how worry over Penny might have aggravated it to dangerous levels.) And if Penny had stayed on the road longer, continuing to put off contact with her parents, it could've made reconciliation between them much more difficult when they finally did cross paths one way or another.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby timemonkey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Alice Macher wrote:I feel for Rich in this sequence. Up until #8 he's been trying so hard to be patient with Penny's constant patting herself on the back. Penny really does love Rich, and doesn't mean any harm with her behaviour, but for all her talk about leaving her privileged life behind, she's still showing her classism and thereby reminding Rich of the gap between them. I'd even say she's "slumming it," that is, acting as if living a limited-income, transient life were an exciting adventure as opposed to a harsh, uncertain and possibly lifelong existence. Granted, Rich, being young and having had at least some stability in his life, if not nearly as much disposable income, may not yet be fully aware of what lies ahead either, but having been forced to leave school and home, he at least has rather fewer options than Penny does. It's not hard to see why her attitude would grate on him after a while.

So I agree that Katy-Ann's decision, painful as it was for her to make and hurtful/betraying to Penny as it was in the short term, was for the best. It was better for Penny+Rich to end with a quick and relatively clean break, rather than the two of them toughing it out--perhaps marrying, having kids, or both--thus rendering a breakup much messier and more painful once they came to realize they weren't right for each other after all. Katy-Ann's choice also spared Lynda and Rob a great deal of anguish. (Although the scene, in next week's sequence, where they come for Penny is mostly played for laughs because of the "Charisma" misunderstanding, we see much later, from Rob's ranting at the FBI agent, how Penny's running away really made them feel. Let's also not forget about Rob's chronic hypertension and how worry over Penny might have aggravated it to dangerous levels.) And if Penny had stayed on the road longer, continuing to put off contact with her parents, it could've made reconciliation between them much more difficult when they finally did cross paths one way or another.

That's part of why I assumed she knew the whole thing was doomed from the beginning, she doesn't act like it's more than a temporary thing. Though Rich deserves every little comment she may have, since she actually gave up a pretty good life for whatever shit one he can scrape together.
timemonkey

Postby retrophrenologist » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:31 pm

brasca wrote:Strange that Karen and Marshall's high school is K-12. I've heard of a few schools that have every grade under one roof, but usually those are in rural areas where it's a necessity or towns with a decreasing population that requires consolidation. Bellville doesn't appear to be a rural town nor a rustbelt city so it's notable.

I went to a school like that, but there were three different campuses (K-7, 8-10, 11-12). K&M's school might have a similar arrangement.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby brasca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:46 am

retrophrenologist wrote:
brasca wrote:Strange that Karen and Marshall's high school is K-12. I've heard of a few schools that have every grade under one roof, but usually those are in rural areas where it's a necessity or towns with a decreasing population that requires consolidation. Bellville doesn't appear to be a rural town nor a rustbelt city so it's notable.

I went to a school like that, but there were three different campuses (K-7, 8-10, 11-12). K&M's school might have a similar arrangement.

Are you originally from Melbourne? Australia may have arrangements similar to K&M's school, but it's more uncommon here. In my school district there were 3 elementary schools from K-6 and then everyone went to the junior-senior high school which was 7-12. The junior high, 7-8, had its own wing, but it was all under the same roof. Other districts had elementary schools which was K-4, then middle school 5-8, and finally high school 9-12 at different locations. The only school that I know that had an arrangement similar to yours was my cousins' who lived in rural New York.
brasca

Postby retrophrenologist » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:21 am

brasca wrote:Are you originally from Melbourne? Australia may have arrangements similar to K&M's school, but it's more uncommon here.

Born and raised. It's an odd arrangement for here as well. Primary schools are usually K-6, and secondary schools are 7-12. It was a private school, though. Ties, blazers, and so forth.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby mikbuster » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:09 am

Where I went to elementary was one building for elementary and another for high school. No multiples. Now they've built an addition to the high school so it's sort of one building.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Twitcher » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:01 am

Alice Macher wrote:I feel for Rich in this sequence. Up until #8 he's been trying so hard to be patient with Penny's constant patting herself on the back. Penny really does love Rich, and doesn't mean any harm with her behaviour, but for all her talk about leaving her privileged life behind, she's still showing her classism and thereby reminding Rich of the gap between them. I'd even say she's "slumming it," that is, acting as if living a limited-income, transient life were an exciting adventure as opposed to a harsh, uncertain and possibly lifelong existence. Granted, Rich, being young and having had at least some stability in his life, if not nearly as much disposable income, may not yet be fully aware of what lies ahead either, but having been forced to leave school and home, he at least has rather fewer options than Penny does. It's not hard to see why her attitude would grate on him after a while.

Katy-Ann, however, made the right choice, for the wrong reason. Rather than call Pen's parents because she was afraid for Penny, she was doing it because she was afraid Penny wasn't doing what Katy-Ann wanted-- being too "willful" for Katy-Ann's liking while exerting her own will on Penny. Katy-Ann is correct (of course), but both she and Penny are making Penny's little joyride all about them, each in their own way.
Twitcher

Postby brasca » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:17 pm

We know Jack doesn't think Rich's decision was an intelligent one and I doubt Stan thinks any higher of it especially since he hates Penny, but I wonder if he struggled with informing Penny's parents. He never would even if he remained anonymous because it would violate his vaunted bro code, but he was probably tempted.
brasca

Return to General Discussion