Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun May 04, 2014 9:02 pm

Awakening 27
20 2020 Pennies 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Starter Robot
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby timemonkey » Sun May 04, 2014 9:49 pm

This story confused the crap out of me for the longest time.
timemonkey
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby Alice Macher » Sun May 04, 2014 10:09 pm

It seems T deliberately wanted much about it to remain ambiguous. If I recall correctly, he's always declined to say whether the 20 Future Pennies are Teen Penny's imagination,* actual individuals from parallel timelines, or metaphors for different aspects of Penny's personality. And then there's the end of the arc... "controversial" doesn't begin to describe it. But--everything in its own time. :)


*Which would've occupied a few seconds maximum, given her ability to catch up to Rich at the end.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4718
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:26 pm

"Made a woman of me". No he didn't. You made a woman of you. Not him.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby CEOIII » Sun May 04, 2014 11:11 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:"Made a woman of me". No he didn't. You made a woman of you. Not him.


In the biblical sense, I think she means. (They have had sex at this point, right?)
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
User avatar
CEOIII
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Franklin, PA

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby timemonkey » Sun May 04, 2014 11:35 pm

CEOIII wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:"Made a woman of me". No he didn't. You made a woman of you. Not him.


In the biblical sense, I think she means. (They have had sex at this point, right?)


Did her outfit change and everyone made a big deal of noticing?
timemonkey
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby Adrishiana » Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 am

1) No1curr, but I like M.R.S. Penny's dress.

2) People of size seem to not fare so well in this comic. (Not that Plump Penny is the only one not to fare well - I'd say she's quite a bit better off than some of the others - but it definitely seems to be a theme.)
No more zoos!
User avatar
Adrishiana
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:37 am

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby brasca » Mon May 05, 2014 2:02 am

Alice Macher wrote:It seems T deliberately wanted much about it to remain ambiguous. If I recall correctly, he's always declined to say whether the 20 Future Pennies are Teen Penny's imagination,* actual individuals from parallel timelines, or metaphors for different aspects of Penny's personality. And then there's the end of the arc... "controversial" doesn't begin to describe it. But--everything in its own time. :)


*Which would've occupied a few seconds maximum, given her ability to catch up to Rich at the end.


The "Holocaust Survivor" makes me think that some of these people are imaginary. Seeing as how everyone there is the end result of some life choice then the "orange rain" and "internet blackout" would be inevitable in every Penny's future unless somehow Penny running away with Rich had a butterfly effect that negated this possibility.

No one knows what the future may hold and some of these were likely results for Penny while others were fantasy or nightmare scenarios that at time of your life you think could happen. It's just like any TV show or movie that shows a vision of the future that's nearly comical in all the things that did and did not happen. For instance tattoos were probably not as popular in 2007 as it is in 2014. Holocaust survivor Penny or Biker Penny would have a lot unless ink became scarce in the future. It's also possible it would've been too much work for Gisele to draw.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:50 am

CEOIII wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:"Made a woman of me". No he didn't. You made a woman of you. Not him.


In the biblical sense, I think she means. (They have had sex at this point, right?)

Virginity is a social construct. Seriously. :roll: Why do people act like it's something that brands yeh fer life? :/
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby thebitterfig » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am

brasca wrote:The "Holocaust Survivor" makes me think that some of these people are imaginary. Seeing as how everyone there is the end result of some life choice then the "orange rain" and "internet blackout" would be inevitable in every Penny's future unless somehow Penny running away with Rich had a butterfly effect that negated this possibility.


I dunno if it requires butterfly theory. If everyone else is making choices, too. That's Does-Penny-Follow, that's Does-Katy-Ann-Call, that's How-Evil-Does-Karen-Get-Without-A-Villain. But it's also Does-Mark-Zuckerberg-Have-A-Very-Cranky-Day, completely unrelated to Belleville. That said, I personally am inclined to a less metaphysical explanation.

But if it's all imagination, the question becomes "Who's imagination?" It could all be a daydream remembrance of Authoress. In which case, the entire series is her semi-fictionalised account of her high school experience, which is why Daphne doesn't get too much screen time, for example.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
User avatar
thebitterfig
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm
Location: Maine, where it's probably snowing.

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby brasca » Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
CEOIII wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:"Made a woman of me". No he didn't. You made a woman of you. Not him.


In the biblical sense, I think she means. (They have had sex at this point, right?)

Virginity is a social construct. Seriously. :roll: Why do people act like it's something that brands yeh fer life? :/


Because Penny is a teenager and in high school that means something. Moreover, she loves Rich so the fact that he was her first has added weight to her decision.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby Twitcher » Mon May 05, 2014 9:29 am

brasca wrote:
Alice Macher wrote:It seems T deliberately wanted much about it to remain ambiguous. If I recall correctly, he's always declined to say whether the 20 Future Pennies are Teen Penny's imagination,* actual individuals from parallel timelines, or metaphors for different aspects of Penny's personality. And then there's the end of the arc... "controversial" doesn't begin to describe it. But--everything in its own time. :)


*Which would've occupied a few seconds maximum, given her ability to catch up to Rich at the end.


The "Holocaust Survivor" makes me think that some of these people are imaginary. Seeing as how everyone there is the end result of some life choice then the "orange rain" and "internet blackout" would be inevitable in every Penny's future unless somehow Penny running away with Rich had a butterfly effect that negated this possibility.



Remember, P+A are in the FANS!/Guilded Age/S*P/Walkyverse, where even if strange things don't happen, the capacity to make them happen most certainly exists.

1. Here we see the four main branches of Penny's decision: Commiting to the lifestyle vs making the choice to quit, singlehood vs passion, etc. I could never understand why Penny felt neglected by her father. Oh, he works to put food on the table and money on your credit cards? Horror of Horrors! Such a clear case of neglect! Call Child Services immediately!

2. Would the retro-80's-90's thing still be in by 2020? Regular Show and Steven Universe are already in on that action, it might be played out... six years from now. Six years from now. Oh, god, I'm old.

Really, I don't think any girl with half-a-brain actively seeks out a sugar daddy. Penny knows she's better than this.

This Penny I like. Narcissistic, but cheerfully so!

5. Authoress: Is Penny playing Erica Kennedy, Ayn Rand, or Blonde Republican Sex Kitten? If it's the two latter, I think this particular Alt-P+A are doomed once the scandal hits CNN.

Mom: Would Pen even know who June Cleaver is? Maybe she'd be rocking a retro-futurist Jean Stapleton circa "All In The Family" look, but I don't know... she'd almost certainly work from home, though. Yes, I can see it now... Pinterest Goddess! Etsy Queen!

Vice-Pres: At what, age 30? Jesus, honey, lemme doff my hat! Whatcha in? Entertainment? Big Oil? Let's talk partnership! You an' me, we're goin places... what's that? Well... well of course you'd get 70 percent... yes ma'am, I'm perfectly happy with that arrangement...

M.R.S.: I'm hopeful that Pen here is smart enough to be more like Anita Loos rather than Anna Nicole Smith.
User avatar
Twitcher
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: In My Foggy Little Head

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby brasca » Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 am

Twitcher wrote:
brasca wrote:
Alice Macher wrote:It seems T deliberately wanted much about it to remain ambiguous. If I recall correctly, he's always declined to say whether the 20 Future Pennies are Teen Penny's imagination,* actual individuals from parallel timelines, or metaphors for different aspects of Penny's personality. And then there's the end of the arc... "controversial" doesn't begin to describe it. But--everything in its own time. :)


*Which would've occupied a few seconds maximum, given her ability to catch up to Rich at the end.


The "Holocaust Survivor" makes me think that some of these people are imaginary. Seeing as how everyone there is the end result of some life choice then the "orange rain" and "internet blackout" would be inevitable in every Penny's future unless somehow Penny running away with Rich had a butterfly effect that negated this possibility.



Remember, P+A are in the FANS!/Guilded Age/S*P/Walkyverse, where even if strange things don't happen, the capacity to make them happen most certainly exists.


I understand that perfectly well, but what I'm stating is these Pennies represent an infinite number of life choices wheras a post apocalyptic future is most likely to happen because of events beyond her control. If this future is inevitable then every other future Penny would have to live or die when it happens in which case the choice to join Rich would be the best option since the world is doomed.

Don't get me wrong I like the fantastical scenarios and would like to know how Penny was assimilated by Starbucks, but that seems like more of a choice Penny made rather than something terrible happens and everyone has to cope with it.

thebitterfig wrote:I dunno if it requires butterfly theory. If everyone else is making choices, too. That's Does-Penny-Follow, that's Does-Katy-Ann-Call, that's How-Evil-Does-Karen-Get-Without-A-Villain. But it's also Does-Mark-Zuckerberg-Have-A-Very-Cranky-Day, completely unrelated to Belleville. That said, I personally am inclined to a less metaphysical explanation.


Regarding How-Evil-Does-Karen-Get-Without-A-Villain scenario I think her downfall was inevitable. Cyndi would have likely seen to that. Perhaps the alliance to dethrone Karen failed in one of the futures, but Cyndi ultimately stabbed Karen in the back after dealing with all their rivals. Once Cyndi was queen of the school she might have targeted Penny in particular until she wore her down to the Penny who has "projects."
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby Twitcher » Mon May 05, 2014 2:09 pm

This arc, though, is not about inevitablities, but possiblities. A nuclear apocalypse might happen, but then again, it might not, no matter if the choice is beyond Penny's control. Where some Pen's see King Lear, others see a blank page (BioShock for the Win!)

Odds N' Ends: I wonder what her life was like. Unlike Counselor's, it doesn't seem fulfilling. Same goes with Networker vs. Actress.

Health and H.R. are kinda easy to read, but it's really telling that the only relationship where Penny feels she and Rich click is one where the world goes straight to hell around them... it's an adventure she wants, really, not true love, or even romance.

Finding Herself may've gotten so wrapped up in maintaining her party queen status that after she beat Karen, it was all she had left. That's right folks, Penny became Meg.

Journo's probably Hunter S. Thompson without the drugs, but she may've been inspired by a copy of Fear and Loathing and a few of the odder and more notable incidents with Rich.

Ballet's getting on in years if she's 30, so what's next for her? Stuntwoman? Aerobics instructor?
User avatar
Twitcher
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: In My Foggy Little Head

Re: Re-read week 83: Awakening 27 - 20 2020 Pennies 5

Postby timemonkey » Mon May 05, 2014 5:41 pm

The whole point of the arc isn't over whether she sees a future with Rich or not, she clearly already knows running away is stupid and the relationship is doomed, but she wants to be the kind fo person who would take that chance. She wants to be the person who would fight for what she really wants not someone who will sit back and just accept whatever happens.
timemonkey
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 am

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

cron