Re-read week 82: Awakening 21 - 26

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 82: Awakening 21 - 26

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Awakening 21 22 23 24 25 26
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 82: Awakening 21 - 26

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:07 pm

I hate Stan. He's such a fucking prick.

Well. I feel bad for Rich. Wonder what his life would have been like if he had graduated.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:05 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Well. I feel bad for Rich. Wonder what his life would have been like if he had graduated.

Hrm. I feel like it could have been better. Rich completing something, I think that'd have been big for him, in a psychic sense. Finishing school probably wouldn't mean a lot in itself, and it probably wouldn't mean he'd go to college (Rich? college?), but it totally seems plausible that, having accomplished something big which he didn't think he could initially, that would have grounded him. Job in town as a mechanic, let's say. Goes to trade school, perhaps opens his own shop. Actually, he would, but he'd hate it. Folks he knew from school, they'd bring in their fancy cars to have fixed, and the old resentments come back. So he leaves, goes somewhere without the past, hangs a shingle there. Hard work, nothing glamorous, but he's happy with it eventually.

But that ignores the process of getting through school. Still two more years at this point, and oh, the drama. First, Rich is Stan's anchor. Popsicle War probably unfolds differently if Stan hasn't been stripped of his demi-god, and perhaps winds up on better terms with Penny. Doesn't have to be far, just non-hostile, and if Penny hasn't driven Rich away for good, he's probably not as vengeful. Does he even align with Karen in the first place? Karen/Cyndi would no doubt cause some sort of chaos on their own, but perhaps there's less damage to Michelle in the meanwhile. Also, if Penny is satisfied in a relationship with Rich, perhaps Karen/Cyndi don't really factor in huge for her. We saw something like that before, where Sara and Michelle felt Penny was losing herself(? her queen-bee-ness, sure, but herself? Not sure). The social role Penny felt she needed to embody probably isn't quite as important, so she might just let it slip away when Karen wants to take it. I dunno.

Next, Macbeth. Yeah, I don't know what happens with that. A lot of the cast was galvanized by TPW. I could see Rich working back stage with Jack, mostly as a favor to Penny, just to be involved. Following the production, Rich wouldn't have been knocking about as the right-place-right-time caterer to help Sara out of The New Reality. She's clever, saw the set up, and perhaps could have figured out some other method of alternate drama injection. Perhaps not. That, too, is pretty unclear.

As to his relationship with Penny... I dunno. I could see it last most of high school, until it really sinks in with Penny that he doesn't have much in the way of ambition. I could see Penny becoming a bit less ambitious if she's stable in Bellville with Rich. I could see them breaking up before Macbeth is ever performed. But it seems entirely possible that Rich blocks Aggeny.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby brasca » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:09 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
Well. I feel bad for Rich. Wonder what his life would have been like if he had graduated.

It is important to get a high school diploma, but he could probably get a GED like Helen did later. A college education never seemed like something he aspired to anyway so even if he graduated who's to say he would have followed Penny to whatever college she enrolled in or if they'd still be together.

Am I alone in wondering if Principal Giulliani and Shortpacked's Gallasso are related in some way or possibly went to the same management school?
brasca

Postby Lia S » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:58 am

24: I remember the first time I read that page, I understood "lose" as "dump". Which made Penny look awful. And which didn't make a lot of sense, but it's more difficult to keep track of things when you're reading a page at a time and haven't analysed the archives to bits yet.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby timemonkey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:44 am

Oh, Rich, one bad idea after another, same as always, learn nothing. But at least he's almost gone for good.
timemonkey

Return to General Discussion