Re-read week 80: Awakening 9 - 14

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 80: Awakening 9 - 14

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:02 pm

Awakening 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 80: Awakening 9 - 14

Postby timemonkey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 pm

And so begins Sarah's unnecessary makeover while Aggie freaks out like a big baby over nothing. I could understand being a tad annoyed but she's massively overdoing it for someone whose never even come close to even being a theoretical boyfriend.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 pm

It is definitely an overreaction, and not one of Aggie's finer moments (though Lisa's persistent nudging didn't help either). That said, Gisèle did a hilariously great job with Aggie going all cubist in that one panel from #12.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:24 pm

I've never wanted to punch Daphne's effing teeth out more than during the beginning of the make over. Cuz I swear she's just so fucking annoying. Why did Sara date her again? Was there a literal shortage on non straight women who aren't controlled by their libido/aren't blindly believing in jerks who are known to be awful?
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Yes. Literally, the only reason they hooked up is because they didn't have any other options other than Cyndi and Sarah almost snapped and took up Cyndi on her offers. Their relationship was based on proximity, not anything like mutual likes, a genuine interest or respect.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Pfff. They're not good together. Especially considering how friggin stereotyping Daphne is and how easy it was for her to swallow a shitty lie about Sara. Also her "reason" was just fucking idiotic. Cuz yes a person who's been living like Sara would totally know that Daphne was hitting on her. Yeah. Too bad her mind reading powers weren't working eh?

Also it would've been awesome to see her not date a sheeple.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:58 pm

I agree they were a bad couple, can't say I was remotely disappointed when they finally broke up. And Daphne didn't come across well before or after they were together, she desperately needed the story to focus on her and her thought process for a while so we could understand her better but it never happened.

I almost wish we'd seen her reaction to Penny and Aggie hooking up, two more non-heteros she's spent time with with no interest in her.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm guessing she would probably think it's because Penny's blonde rather than the fact that she needs to do work on herself. Like figuring out what she really wants from a relationship.

Also to differentiate sexual attraction from romantic attraction. It really would've helped her relationship with Sara and help her figure out what she wants romantically.
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:02 am

I'd forgotten how much about Isuel was explained on page 11.

Page 10 has a moment which stuck with me over time, the Daphne/Penny fashion congruence. A nice moment of "wait, why are these folks enemies?" and "no one fights so hard as those who agree on nine points and haggle over the tenth." Which is probably actually wrong in the history of the world, but as Lisa refuses to accept that pop culture is not a constantly relevant guide to her life, so must folk wisdom and contrived sayings always be absolutely and incontrovertibly true.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:06 am

Almost forgot to link Megan Gedris' amazing Red String guest comic on lesbian makeovers.

The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 pm

timemonkey wrote:Yes. Literally, the only reason they hooked up is because they didn't have any other options other than Cyndi and Sarah almost snapped and took up Cyndi on her offers. Their relationship was based on proximity, not anything like mutual likes, a genuine interest or respect.

Which, let's admit it, sums up most high school romances. "You want sex, I want sex, we find each other at least moderately attractive, we must be soul mates. Let's do this."
FlyingFish

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:32 pm

9: Yeah, the McClouds are totally unnecessary here, especially as I suspect a lot of the readers couldn't identify them (and the kid with the camera doesn't come off especially well).

10: Speaking of not coming off well: Daphne. I mean, that's hardly unusual for her, but while some behind-the-scenes explanations went on of Daphne's strong animus towards someone we haven't really seen her interact with (something to do with Penny representing the gold standard of heteronormativity, which goes to show you can't go by appearance), on screen it just kind of looked like she hated Penny for... no real reason.

11: How many people do they know who have come out, other than... each other? Because at times it's kind of implied that Sara and Daphne are the only lesbians (though not the only girls interested in other girls, clearly) in town, while at others it's implied there's a small and quiet LGBT community in their area. (P&A Plus said something about how Daphne keeps helping people in hopes that her own karma will improve, which I suppose is something that might have helped if we'd actually seen it but also could have come off kind of mercenary.) (ETA: If they have helped out several people, it would seem like Lisa would know that the stunt she pulled on Sara is a pretty shitty thing to do? On the other hand, Lisa tends to care less about others' feelings than her own lulz.)

12: Hah, poor Aggie. As for why she's freaking out like this, I expect it has to do with her being young, fairly insecure, and having had lots and lots of time to put Marshall on a pedestal. Lisa, for someone who tries so hard to be RANDOM AND ZANY AND WEIRDER THAN YOU, it's strange to take it poorly when someone else (when you pretty much decided, on pretty much no acquaintance whatsoever, that they needed to be outed) calls you "random."

13: I think Aggie's like the only character who is allowed to call Lisa on her bullshit without immediately being punished by the narrative.

14: My experience with hospitals is thankfully pretty limited, but I'm sort of surprised Rich has a private room.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Adrishiana wrote:10: Speaking of not coming off well: Daphne. I mean, that's hardly unusual for her, but while some behind-the-scenes explanations went on of Daphne's strong animus towards someone we haven't really seen her interact with (something to do with Penny representing the gold standard of heteronormativity, which goes to show you can't go by appearance), on screen it just kind of looked like she hated Penny for... no real reason.

As far as I can tell, the only time we're given any insight at all, within the comic itself, as to why Daphne hated Penny is the immediate aftermath of the soda prank, when Daphne answers Penny's "What did I do to you? [plural]" with "It's what you stand for, bitch!" Now that could mean "You represent the entire heterosexual population. Goddamn breeders." But we're never shown that Daphne has anything against straight people. So I took "It's what you stand for" to mean she hated Penny for the same reason Aggie did: Penny, to her, represents all stuck-up, elitist alpha girls. The main difference between these two Penny-haters was that Aggie came to see she was wrong to think that of Penny, whereas Daphne never did, at least not within the main time frame of the comic.

14: My experience with hospitals is thankfully pretty limited, but I'm sort of surprised Rich has a private room.

Huh. Now you've pointed it out, that is strange. Especially as we know his dad is a blue-collar worker and, a bit later on in the present arc, we find out that Rich being in hospital meant that Mr. Diggle couldn't afford both that and to keep his son in private school.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:18 am

Alice Macher wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:10: Speaking of not coming off well: Daphne. I mean, that's hardly unusual for her, but while some behind-the-scenes explanations went on of Daphne's strong animus towards someone we haven't really seen her interact with (something to do with Penny representing the gold standard of heteronormativity, which goes to show you can't go by appearance), on screen it just kind of looked like she hated Penny for... no real reason.

As far as I can tell, the only time we're given any insight at all, within the comic itself, as to why Daphne hated Penny is the immediate aftermath of the soda prank, when Daphne answers Penny's "What did I do to you? [plural]" with "It's what you stand for, bitch!" Now that could mean "You represent the entire heterosexual population. Goddamn breeders." But we're never shown that Daphne has anything against straight people. So I took "It's what you stand for" to mean she hated Penny for the same reason Aggie did: Penny, to her, represents all stuck-up, elitist alpha girls. The main difference between these two Penny-haters was that Aggie came to see she was wrong to think that of Penny, whereas Daphne never did, at least not within the main time frame of the comic.

Probably as good an explanation as any. Everyone else that hated Penny had a reason right or wrong: Aggie resented her for being popular for no good reason, Karen wanted to surpass her to prove she could have transformed into someone irresistible even without her help, Meg wanted revenge for the sleepover pictures, Charlotte condemned her as a heathen, Samantha thought she was racist, Stan thought she weakened Rich, Helen resented her for growing apart, and Cyndi was a sociopath who just liked to hurt people to a greater degree than people like Tharqa, Bob, or Elmer. Daphne's hatred was never really explained and unlike Aggie I don't think she ever reconciled until later.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 am

Aggie didn't resent her popularity, she misunderstood Penny's behaviour and believed she was a bully, and then misunderstood what her parents had taught her and set out to punish her in the name of the victimised.
timemonkey

Next

Return to General Discussion