Re-read week 78: Bedside Manners 11 - Awakening 2

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 78: Bedside Manners 11 - Awakening 2

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Bedside Manners 11 12 13 14
Awakening 1 2
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 78: Bedside Manners 11 - Awakening 2

Postby CEOIII » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Stan and Penny are a lot more alike than they realize.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 am

....in what way are either of them alike?
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:48 am

On the one hand I feel like Michelle must be wearing a lot of eye makeup, but then I remember the time I took a shower without taking mascara off and looked in the mirror afterwards to find out I'd turned into a member of KISS.

Brandi. ♥
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby CEOIII » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:00 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:....in what way are either of them alike?

They both handled this by lashing out. Stan at Penny, Penny at Rich.

It's a little thing, but yeah.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 am

Penny is lashing out at him because she's mad that he got hurt.

Stan is being a dick who is lashing out at the girlfriend of a friend he creepily keeps on a god pedestal and believes she softened.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:27 am

Plus, Penny warned him for weeks/months he was going to get himself hurt badly with his lifestyle, and now he has. It's just as she was afraid of.
timemonkey

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:05 pm

timemonkey wrote:Plus, Penny warned him for weeks/months he was going to get himself hurt badly with his lifestyle, and now he has. It's just as she was afraid of.

There's also something to be said for scale.

Penny: "YOU HURT YOURSELF EXACTLY THE WAY I WAS AFRAID YOU WERE GOING TO, ASSHOLE. *angry tears*"

Stan: "You softened the guy I creepily keep on a god pedestal, and I'm about to align myself with Karen to try to ruin your life pretty much just because."
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Once again, Karen undoes a rare sympathetic moment (in last week's reread, when she reveals that she'd considered stealing Rich from Penny in order to hurt her, but then realized Marshall means too much for her to do that) by deciding to get back at Penny another way, by enlisting Stan. (It's not stated outright here, but her watching Stan and looking pensive implies it, especially in light of what we know about "The Popsicle War.")

She's done it before, in "Behind Closed Doors": making the reader feel sorry for her by wondering whether she's still that frumpy girl inside, then "dealing" with that insecurity by accosting Marshall naked in the shower, then again being sympathetic by showing genuine vulnerability and fear of losing the only one she loves and who loves her, then yet again being a cold manipulator by essentially sexually assaulting him and exulting in the "power."

She'll do it again, in "When She Was Good": having a genuine attack of conscience and starting to confess to Marshall that she's a bully towards Penny, then taking advantage of Mr. Meanswell McSelectively von Oblivious giving her an "out," and sending her conscience away.

Which makes me wonder: is it worse to be a Cyndi, someone who can't feel empathy for others nor remorse for hurting them due to mental disorder, or a Karen, who does possess empathy and the capacity for remorse but continually chooses to stifle these feelings? Discuss.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby timemonkey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:33 pm

A Karen of course, chosing evil is always worse than merely being evil.
timemonkey

Postby FlyingFish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:04 am

timemonkey wrote:A Karen of course, chosing evil is always worse than merely being evil.

I tend to agree, though with the qualifier that a Cyndi is nonetheless FAR more dangerous, and absolutely to be avoided out of simple pragmatism. A Karen, with her conscience screaming at her, can still be talked down, or can talk HERSELF down if the contemplated act is horrible enough. With a Cyndi, your only options are containment or outright destruction (see also Keith) in the sister comic.

So it is worse to be Karen, but worse to be near Cyndi.
FlyingFish

Return to General Discussion