Wanna help me with soup recipes for Dad?

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Wanna help me with soup recipes for Dad?

Postby Valerie » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi, guys and gals and both and other. :D

I'm trying to figure out some soups to make for Dad. He has a few dietary restrictions* and needs things that are easy to swallow, and I figure soup is an easy thing for him to make 'cause I can freeze it in servings for him to heat up later, so all he'll have to do is let it thaw out or throw it in the microwave.

*He says that his doctor told him he has no restrictions, but he's been doing his own research on it and wants to stay away from some things, so I'm basing it on that.

Things he shouldn't have:
Potatoes (and anything else with lots of carbs)
Bread (see above)
Tomatoes (and anything else acidic)
Sugars

He said the rule is "Eat your fruits, drink your vegetables," so soup seems like a good way to "drink" your vegetables 'cause there are so many different options.

Anyway, I made him some carrot soup. It's pureed, so it'll be easy for him to swallow. I'm also thinking of making him kale-and-chickpea soup, because cooked kale is easy to swallow, and chickpeas are small, so I don't think they would be a problem.

Any ideas? He does eat meat, but I'm looking for vegetable-only just for the sake of making sure he's getting enough veggies. (That said, chicken broth or beef broth or whatever would be okay, since he's not a vegetarian or anything.)

Notes for myself:
Broccoli Cheddar
pea soup
Kale and Chickpea Soup (minus couscous and red pepper flakes)
Broccoli and Spinach
Cauliflower and Garlic
Peanut Butter Soup
Last edited by Valerie on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Re: Wanna help me with soup recipes for Dad?

Postby thebitterfig » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:07 pm

I've done well throwing peanuts and spices (well, chili peppers mostly) in with a carrot soup before. It's a bit of a strain on the blender-stick, but it'd probably work pretty well using peanut butter, preferably the slightly more "natural" kind without sugar in it.

Also, red lentil soup (if it's not to carb-y-starch-y). Not sure on exact water-to-lentil proportions (7 liquid to 1 lentil seems to be common with some googling, but my bag only says 8 liquid to 2 lentil), but cook up some onion and garlic in choice of fat (or not) just so they're a bit softer, add in liquid (water or chicken broth) lentils and spices (cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, maybe chili flakes, maybe curry powder) and cook until everything is nice and soft. Use the small orange-ish red lentils, give them a good picking (to avoid small rocks). I've typically just washed them, poor in water, stir, drain, repeat until the water is pretty clear when draining, but you can also soak the lentils before. When done, throw in some lemon juice (or not---acid), maybe a scoop of plain yogurt, some parsley or whatnot. The result is hopefully not murder-soup due to carbs and acid, but it's a base you can "play" with. Throw in ginger. Fry up whole spices. Toss in a carrot. Maybe a few raisins at the last minute would be nice. Options.

Something else pretty nice is a variant I had once on onion soup. It was made with chicken rather than beef broth, and also had green peppers in there. Just kinda cook the onions and peppers low and slow for a long while, get things really soft and almost caramelised, then add broth and herbs. Probably a dash of cilantro to finish, and maybe some lemon or lime (probably omit). No hot peppers. I got it at a mexican restaurant, and it had tortilla chips and jack cheese instead of swiss on bread. The full presentation of chips and melted cheese might be involved, and also over bread-like? Bah, again it's murder-soup.

Beet soup is another interesting option. Slice some beets pretty thin. Cook up onion, add beets, cook until soft. Puree to desired levels. Add lemon juice and salt to taste and non-murderous levels. Dollop of sour cream on there does nice things when it's done.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Valerie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:57 pm

thebitterfig wrote:Something else pretty nice is a variant I had once on onion soup. It was made with chicken rather than beef broth, and also had green peppers in there. Just kinda cook the onions and peppers low and slow for a long while, get things really soft and almost caramelised, then add broth and herbs. Probably a dash of cilantro to finish, and maybe some lemon or lime (probably omit). No hot peppers.

Beet soup is another interesting option. Slice some beets pretty thin. Cook up onion, add beets, cook until soft. Puree to desired levels. Add lemon juice and salt to taste and non-murderous levels. Dollop of sour cream on there does nice things when it's done.

These both sound pretty good. I might experiment with those a bit.

I made him some kale-and-chickpea sound and some broccoli-cheddar soup. I'm trying to figure out something to make with all the extra carrots (I've already made him carrot soup), some milk (I have half a gallon that will be good until the 10th), and bacon (because I have bacon and he needs fatty stuff).

I was thinking some kind of bacon-cheddar soup? Would that be any good? I've got the stalk part of the broccoli left over, so I was going to maybe throw that and a carrot in there and blend it all up, that way it'll have some vegetables to it, too.

Another idea: is cream-of-carrot soup a thing? Because seriously I have a ton of carrots. o_o I bought way too many.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby thebitterfig » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 pm

It'd probably be good. Apart from the standard cheese soup separation issues, I can't see why thin cut* broccoli and carrots and cheese and bacon wouldn't great.

The bacon poses a sort of moral dilemma. Leave it in so that the flavor permeates, but you've got soggy bacon bits in through it, or just cook it to start, remove once crispy. Leave the fat in the soup pan, of course. The flavor won't be as pervasive, but you get crispy bacon for sprinkling. The solution, probably, is similar to the solution to a great many moral dilemmas. Compromise. Cut up most of the bacon into little bits, leave two or three strips whole. Remove the whole ones once crispy, and proceed to make the soup.

*Thin cut with broccoli stalks is probably pretty important. With florets, those get nice and soft on their own, but stalks probably need mechanical assistance.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Valerie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 am

Okay, so not soup, but something else: My dad really super-loves Reese's, but he's trying to stay away from sugar. So I'm trying to figure out how to make sugarless peanut butter cups for him. I can use agave or stevia for it.

I've found this recipe so far for the peanut butter cups, and I found this recipe for making sugar-free chocolate.

There's coconut oil in this recipe, but I don't really know much about it. Could I use butter instead (since he needs things with a little fat anyway) or would that not work the right way? Edit: After doing a teensy bit of research, it looks like butter should be fine.

THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

As usual.

Valerie

Return to General Discussion