Re-read week 77: Bedside Manners 5 - 10

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 77: Bedside Manners 5 - 10

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Bedside Manners 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 77: Bedside Manners 5 - 10

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Aww...poor Sara. At least Penny didn't do something rude about it when Sara came out to her.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 am

Did Karen think ahead, ever, in terms of her life after high school, or was life all about taking what Penny had?
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:22 am

Doubt she thought too far ahead. Kinda doesn't seem to be the type to do so.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:35 am

Twitcher wrote:Did Karen think ahead, ever, in terms of her life after high school, or was life all about taking what Penny had?

Probably not, but this is one of the few times where she still has a conscience. In just a few months it will be different, but at that moment she did not have what it would take to seduce Rich while together with Marshall.
brasca

Postby CEOIII » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Comic 7, last panel.....Karen patted him on the leg, right?

Someone please say "right".
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:26 pm

The middle leg, not the right leg.
Bo Lindbergh

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:01 pm

So I've mentioned before that an interesting inversion of this comic is that Aggie and her crew are actually kind of the strip jerks at first (though, of course, Aggie eventually grows out of this while some of the rest of said crew does not), while Penny & Co. are for the most part pretty happy to live and let live as long as no one's actively fighting them. Another interesting inversion is that the girls in the strip are, at the moment, somewhat more likely to consider other's bodies (of any gender) to be public property (well, public property to them, at any rate) - Lisa, Sara, and Karen all do it. (Naturally, not all of these are on the same level - Sara's was inappropriate, Lisa's was inappropriate and gross, and Karen's was inappropriate and molesty with Rich and will be inappropriate and rapey with Marshall.) While you also see examples of this from the guys (Elmer and Bob are by far the most extreme examples), in real life it tends to be more (by far) women whose bodies are considered to be public property by others, particularly men.

(Disclaimer: this is not 100% always true, men are also subject to rape culture, some men would never dream of treating another person's body inappropriately regardless of gender, and so on, I know that - but the reality is still that rape culture is still a thing, and it largely acts against women.)

ETA: Though, of course, some of this particular inversion may be due to the fact that the comic early on focused more on the POV of the girls.

LadyObvious23 wrote:Aww...poor Sara. At least Penny didn't do something rude about it when Sara came out to her.

To be absolutely fair to Marshall (though I'm not unsympathetic to Sara, either), Sara didn't try to kiss Penny. (And Marshall calmed down when he figured out what was up, so there is that.)

Twitcher wrote:Did Karen think ahead, ever, in terms of her life after high school, or was life all about taking what Penny had?

I get the impression she thought that her post-high school life was pretty much going to fall into place if she could only ruin Penny's.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Adrishiana wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Aww...poor Sara. At least Penny didn't do something rude about it when Sara came out to her.

To be absolutely fair to Marshall (though I'm not unsympathetic to Sara, either), Sara didn't try to kiss Penny. (And Marshall calmed down when he figured out what was up, so there is that.)

How about letting Marshall decide that? Dude already told her off when he thought she was doing it to break him and Karen up. Also she knows her friend is fuckin' straight so why the hell would she do that?
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:

How about letting Marshall decide that? Dude already told her off when he thought she was doing it to break him and Karen up. Also she knows her friend is fuckin' straight so why the hell would she do that?

1) I'm not absolutely clear on what Marshall is or isn't deciding.
2) He doesn't have to have a girlfriend to object to an unwanted kiss.
3) Considering Sara is going to spend a good part of the strip trying to get Penny and Aggie together, I'm not sure she knows Penny is straight.

My point here is pretty much that Marshall wasn't so much rude to put Sara off as much as he was objecting to a then-unexplained violation of his personal space - as far as he knows, Sara just pushed a kiss on him (and may have done so for nefarious reasons). Penny, meanwhile, had the space to be much nicer because Sara didn't try to violate her personal space, not to mention that 1) she knows Sara considerably better and 2) the way Sara came out to her was considerably less ambiguous.

Clearly something got misunderstood somewhere, but I'm not sure what.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 pm

So your saying that she'd force a fucking kiss between them despite the YEARS they've known each other and probably hasn't dropped a hint at liking girls other than Aggie. Yeah. That makes perfect sense.

No Marshall wasn't already known to be heavidly involved with Karen. So he does have reason to not want a fucking kiss.
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:25 pm

No, I'm saying Penny didn't do something "rude" to Sara when Sara came out to her because Sara didn't try to do anything to her like she did to Marshall. (As it happens, I don't think she WOULD, but since it doesn't come up anyway that's academic.) The two situations can't really be compared because they're completely different.

I'm also saying that the only reason Marshall has to have for not wanting a kiss is that he doesn't want a kiss. (Not wanting a kiss because he's involved with Karen is also important, but somewhat secondary if the main reason is "I don't want to be kissed by Sara, or anyone BUT Karen.") The fact that he thinks she was sent to do it by Penny to come between him and Karen is just WTF icing on the OMG cake - he's probably groping for a reason a girl he doesn't know all that well just tried to kiss him after a minute or two of strange behavior on her part.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:32 pm

You misinterpreted my post as calling Marshall rude for that. I DIDN'T THINK THAT. I just thought it was fucking cool that she had a good friend to talk to about her orientation.

Also I hate how Marshall thinks of Penny as some Cartoony Villian who'd use her friend like that.
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Marshall's main talents do pretty much appear to be "looking perfect" and "swallowing whatever Karen says or does whole."
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Honestly, I don't think penny would have reacted much differently than she did even if Sarah had kissed her. probably a few seconds of complete mental shutdown followed by a demand for an explanation.
timemonkey

Return to General Discussion