Re-read week 75: Vertigo 13 - The First Man I Ever Loved Par

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 75: Vertigo 13 - The First Man I Ever Loved Par

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Vertigo 13 14
The First Man I Ever Loved Part 2 1 2 3 4
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 75: Vertigo 13 - The First Man I Ever Loved

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Adrenaline rushes. Gotta love'em.

And poor shy Michelle. Hard to believe she had a rough time making friends.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Jack surprised me the first time I read this; he'd never really seemed motivated to do anything except get drunk, but here he is, the cool head in an emergency (while the energetic Stan is stunned into silence).
FlyingFish

Postby CEOIII » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 am

Penny's blank look at the end......*shudder*

Is anyone besides me not getting any "you have a reply" emails from this forum?
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby brasca » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:34 am

CEOIII wrote:Is anyone besides me not getting any "you have a reply" emails from this forum?

No, but I was getting a message every time I tried to log in that stated "Warning Cannot Modify Header information" followed by a lot of coded words. It took a couple of weeks to resolve.

Given the proliferation of firearms it is a miracle that Gary stabbed Rich. In a one-on-one attack it is more likely, but Rich's friends have backed him up in the past which is why a gun would make more sense, but this might have been a spur of the moment decision on Gary's behalf rather than premeditated.

The second part of the First Man I Ever Loved chapter shows a different side of the story. Up until then Michelle bad mouthed her father, but he was actually an attentive dad who only encouraged her to find friends of her age at his wife's behest. In a way that makes her relationship with her father similar to Penny and Rob in that she unfairly resents him. Perhaps Bruce should have involved himself during Michelle's eating disorder, but she hid it well and he probably thought he was doing the right thing by not interfering in her social life.
brasca

Postby Twitcher » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 am

Michelle's origin... just didn't seem right. I can believe she wouldn't have friends, shyness and reticence is often mistaken for pride, but where's the incipient OCD? This arc stylizes her anorexia as a cry for attention, which... nope. Nope. Nope. When your great aunt calls you fat and you're five pounds underweight at the time, when you listen to her chant, "The doctor said don't get fat," to herself after she's three sheets to the wind again, when your mom starts binge eating after she stops drinking, when your dieting perfectionist sister is, thank god, horrified to discover that she dieted herself to an unhealthy weight, when your dad stops eating if he feels sad or scared, when you yourself eat an entire pizza in one sitting just so you can stop thinking about the obsessive crap that's constantly running through your head... well, then you're off topic, but obsessions/compulsions often lead to addictions and/or disordered eating, and we needed to see where Michelle's came from.
Twitcher

Postby CEOIII » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 am

Well, we're only halfway in the storyline. We may get some more backstory this Sunday.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby timemonkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am

If I recall correctly Michelle resents her father for making bad business decisions and costing the family a lot of money.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Correct, and we've already seen that hinted at here.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby FlyingFish » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:02 pm

brasca wrote:Given the proliferation of firearms it is a miracle that Gary stabbed Rich. In a one-on-one attack it is more likely, but Rich's friends have backed him up in the past which is why a gun would make more sense, but this might have been a spur of the moment decision on Gary's behalf rather than premeditated.

I'm guessing it's a combination of one or more of the following:
1) Agreed that it was very likely spur of the moment.
2) Knives are silent; guns are attention-grabbing. Gary may have thought he could stab Rich and scurry away before anyone realized what had happened. (He didn't expect Rich would retain enough energy to punch him out in response; would you?)
3) Despite your claims about firearms, I doubt Gary could get one easily. Minors can't purchase one legally in most states. And this is a middle-upper to upper class area, so there are unlikely to be any convenient illegal sources, nor are Gary's parents likely to feel the need to have one in the house that Gary can borrow.
FlyingFish

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 pm

FlyingFish wrote:3) Despite your claims about firearms, I doubt Gary could get one easily. Minors can't purchase one legally in most states. And this is a middle-upper to upper class area, so there are unlikely to be any convenient illegal sources, nor are Gary's parents likely to feel the need to have one in the house that Gary can borrow.

This depends quite a bit. I'm in a middle class area that has several middle-upper and upper-class areas scattered around it, and firearms (and shooting ranges, etc.) are quite *popular here (northern Ohio). Of course, that doesn't mean that Gary's parents have one or that he has some other form of easy access to them, but it also doesn't mean he doesn't. ETA: Hobby gun use is not a particularly cheap hobby, either.

brasca wrote:
CEOIII wrote:Is anyone besides me not getting any "you have a reply" emails from this forum?

No, but I was getting a message every time I tried to log in that stated "Warning Cannot Modify Header information" followed by a lot of coded words. It took a couple of weeks to resolve.

I had the same problem, but I was only locked out for a few days.

*When I had jury duty last year, during voir dire (in the US, this is the process by which potential jurors are examined for potential biases or other snags) the attorneys asked jurors to please raise their hands if they had consistent experience with firearms (or relationships with people who used firearms, were in the military, etc.). 75% of the potential jurors (a pool of about 90 people) raised their hands.

The attorneys: "... ...Okay, are any of you going to have problems being a juror on a gun-related case?"
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Return to General Discussion