Inspiration?

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Inspiration?

Postby Valerie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 am

It seems like quite a few of us are having a hard time, so maybe we can share some thoughts/songs/stories/etc. that can help get the positivity flowing. We have the Bad Day thread for venting, so now we can have this for pick-me-ups!

This song by Kerli really helped me through one of my rough patches: Glow in the Dark
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Re: Inspiration?

Postby Lia S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 am

If you have a blog or something like that:

1. Go back to the first page.
  2. Go through your posts (the ones that are your own work), and either delete everything that is negative and/or boring, or tag everything that is positive, funny, awesome, etc.
  3. Go back again (viewing only the tagged posts if you used tagging), and see how awesome you have been at many times.
  4. Be proud of yourself.

Related: some very popular websites (especially facebook and twitter) are full of negativity and drama. Maybe get rid of your accounts on those, or at least put them last in the order in which you visit your daily things. Put creativity-related things first in that same order.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Lia S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:45 am

That reminds me, if any of you want to follow me on tumblr (I reblog lots of things that improve my mood), just send me a message and I’ll give you the link.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Lia S

Postby Evil Ben » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:09 pm

A few years ago I visited a friend of mine back in Virginia whilst I attended a conference.
She told me about her bout with cancer, and how at her lowest point, where she didn't
care if she lived or died, her boyfriend dumped her because he "couldn't handle it."
And she is still here on this mudball we call a home planet.

THAT's the type of guy I never want to be.
And the fact that she did not give up is an even bigger inspiration.
"It does what it's told." ~Peggy Dodson
Evil Ben

Postby Evil Ben » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:26 pm

When I am really feeling down this gives me inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO9b5mw381I
It let's me feed my inner sith.

When I am depressed I go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eo9tB3FazA
This song gets me out of depression every time.

When I need something to cheer me up STAT I listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXFeIN73UF4

mmm, waffles....
"It does what it's told." ~Peggy Dodson
Evil Ben

Postby mikbuster » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm

I've tended to listen to even more depressing videos when I'm feeling down, so that won't help you :wink: It can help me, but...
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 pm

I've been reading more sci-fi and listening to music I used to when I was younger. Somewhat helps me write/draw.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Lia S » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:29 am

Evil Ben wrote:A few years ago I visited a friend of mine back in Virginia whilst I attended a conference.
She told me about her bout with cancer, and how at her lowest point, where she didn't
care if she lived or died, her boyfriend dumped her because he "couldn't handle it."
And she is still here on this mudball we call a home planet.

THAT's the type of guy I never want to be.
And the fact that she did not give up is an even bigger inspiration.

I’m proud to have been that type of person, in a sense. I used to feel guilty for leaving my ex at what may have been her lowest point, but no matter how bad a situation someone is in, there is no excuse for emotional abuse (or for physical abuse, which didn’t happen but which I was worried about). The ideal that one should never abandon a partner who is down has seriously harmed me. Lesson learned: if you’re afraid of your partner, LEAVE and don’t look back. It doesn’t matter that people who only know their sweet side will think you’re a piece of shit when your partner already treats you like one.

Anyway, it’s probably a different situation. I do think that if he couldn’t stand being around an ill and depressed person, he did her a favor by leaving. That’s one of the good sides of going through a bad situation, it separates those people who actually care about you from at least some of those who only pretend to care.
Lia S

Postby Pink Freud » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:26 am

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;—
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy, "Ode"

Or if I need music, this generally does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsnYrH3BUP8
Pink Freud

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 am

Books are Jane Austen. Pride > Mansfield > Persuasion > Sense > Emma = Northanger, in that order for me.

Visually? Gandalf leading the Rohirrim down Helm's Dyke into the Deeping Coomb.

Music, as if folks don't know me right now, Harry Hood for sublime joy. Because no matter what you go through, you know that in the end, you can feel good about Hood.

But Philip Glass, also, holds a special place. There is such tranquility and peace in it, I find. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtQpSGyPCBE
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Lia S » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:29 am

Ze Frank can be pretty inspiring: http://ashow.zefrank.com/episodes/1
Lia S

Postby Lia S » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:42 am

If you’re in need of sad music but also of comforting words, there’s this.
Lia S

Postby Valerie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 am

I guess this one isn't so much "inspiring," but it does put me in an easy-going mood: The Lazy Song
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Lia S » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Leave This Island

This song, especially when I’m playing it loud, can do a lot to improve my mood.
Lia S

Return to General Discussion