Re-read week 72: Dinner for Six 66 - The First Man I Ever Lo

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 72: Dinner for Six 66 - The First Man I Ever Lo

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Dinner for Six 66
The First Man I Ever Loved Part 1 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 72: Dinner for Six 66 - The First Man I Eve

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Still not liking Iseul. That woman may have some character development but this was bullshit. YOU CAN'T FORCE YER KID TO BE STRAIGHT. I always hated how she tried. And fucking ignored how AWFUL people who are gay get treated.

Hell how anyone who isn't the 'norm' of society gets treated. It's like she has fucking blinders on all the time or something.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby mikbuster » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:33 pm

most people do
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Twitcher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:13 am

1. I wonder why she didn't like Michelle? No good reason, probably.
2. Every child should be told the things in panels 2 and 4.
3. It sucks when people don't include you in their plans for you.
4. Reminds me too much of what's happening with Dad right now.
5. So much.
6. I got the "I wish you were never born" and "You were the reason I drank" speech from my mom. On the bright side, we're both going to therapy now...
Twitcher

Postby timemonkey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:48 pm

I for one always hated Iseul. The more we learned about her the worse she came across.
timemonkey

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Still not liking Iseul. That woman may have some character development but this was bullshit. YOU CAN'T FORCE YER KID TO BE STRAIGHT. I always hated how she tried. And fucking ignored how AWFUL people who are gay get treated.

My own dislike of Iseul is tempered because she associates lesbianism with her unfaithfulness to Theo. She's compartmentalized the two together so she can spend most of her day Not Thinking About Either (and then the pressure builds up and she runs off to a motel...) Sara, inadvertently, is blundering into this simply by being who she is, so Iseul is simultaneously fearful that Sara will grow up to be a cheating wh :oops: :x :evil: and having to think about her own flaws every time Sara casts her eyes on a young lady. (Furthermore, Iseul probably has the "we're all bisexuals" opinion -- we'll see that in her "find a Theo!" line -- where she thinks that lesbianism CAN be "cured" with the right man. Which isn't working out so well for Iseul either, but at least she truly DOES love Theo.) Unhealthy? In need of a shrink? Absolutely! But I think of her as more utterly screwed up than evil. I feel sorry for her, and I'm glad we finally saw some progress from her in the final month of Quiltbag.
FlyingFish

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Never said that she was.

Just fucking hated how she tried to force her child into being something that she isn't.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby CEOIII » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:09 am

Anyone who tells their kid they don't love them (even with the caveat "right now") should be punched in the crotch until they're rendered sterile.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 am

Mhm. It's really gross favortisim. Poor Helen deserves a better father than him. Way better.
LadyObvious23

Postby CEOIII » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 am

Really glad she put his ass in her rearview. (and ran off to the general safety of the S*Pverse.)
CEOIII

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:08 am

CEOIII wrote:Really glad she put his ass in her rearview. (and ran off to the general safety of the S*Pverse.)

Really sad when S*P is the safer place for you.
FlyingFish

Postby timemonkey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 am

Nah, Randy doesn't really kill crossover characters, she's pretty much the only one who's actually safe over there.
timemonkey

Postby CEOIII » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Considering that P&A is done,that pretty much makes Helen Randy's character. But he doesn't kill off regulars. Generally. She'll be OK.
CEOIII

Postby Louisa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:30 pm

You're talking about the guy who has a specific cast page for characters he's killed off.
Louisa

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Yes, but let's have a look at those deceased characters:

* One character (Rose) died long before the strip even began. So that's no more a case of "killing off" a character than Melody was in P&A.

* One (Scott) died only a few months into the comic, in his very first appearance, while already comatose. So that's very nearly a case of being a posthumous character.

* Two (Jesus Mickey and Twitchy-Hug) were one-note joke characters who never played a significant role in the comic.

* Two (Avagadro and Pepito) were villains, the former of whom did particularly despicable things to the latter, and to his nephew (who's now also a villain). Now while I don't support the death penalty for real-life people, my standards, like those of most entertainment consumers, are somewhat different for fictional villains. Especially if the villain's death is played for laughs, as it always is with such characters in Something Positive.

* Only one example on that page (Faye) is a character whose death was: ( a ) well into the comic's run, after she'd received extensive characterization; ( b ) that of a well-rounded, sympathetic, signficant character; and ( c ) non-karmic (she didn't deserve it) and therefore played completely straight (i.e. she died of natural causes and it was portrayed in a genuinely moving, bittersweet manner).

In sum, the fact that several characters are deceased or posthumous doesn't mean that any and every character who's ever been in the strip has an equal chance of dying. Far from it.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Next

Return to General Discussion