Re-read week 66: Dinner for Six 25 - 31

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 66: Dinner for Six 25 - 31

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Dinner for Six 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 66: Dinner for Six 25 - 31

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Strip #26: A little louder, Ag. I think there may have been some Antarctic researchers who didn't hear that outburst.

Also, I can't believe I missed this: I'd always thought that the only time in all of P&A canon that an animal was sapient was the fifth-ever strip, in which Charles thinks happy thoughts about Penny's nail polish. But here in "Dinner for Six," we have a bird saying, "Mercy!" That's right, folks, Aggie's "love crush" voice is so powerful it gives non-parrot-family birds the power of speech!

(Yes, I know the bird isn't really speaking within the strip's "reality," any more than Viggo Mortensen was really hanging out in the girls' washroom doing finance commercials in "Awakening." Indulge me.)
Last edited by Alice Macher on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby CEOIII » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 pm

Ag and Mar were kinda hitting it off, weren't they?
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby brasca » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:31 am

While this strip is still very timely it's things like the mention of Dubya in 27 and Penny's phone in 28 that compel me to look at the date. 2007. Hard to believe it was just 6 years ago. The political discourse hasn't changed all that much, but it amazes me that a high end flip phone was just a few years ago. Now everyone has a smart phone.
brasca

Postby Twitcher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:06 am

25. Love? SEX! Nick and Charisma look a bit alike in these panels. Fits the theme of "Self-Love."
26. My sister doesn't read the comic much, but she keeps trying to tell me how Marshall's life is a grand tragedy. She's convinced me to the point that I can easily picture him spouting the dialogue of nearly any of Watchmen's lead characters.
27. Aggie's not bi at all. Nope. An acquaintance of mine has similar political leanings and the same artistic ambition, but is a much better artist than Aggie.
28. I just... what the hell does Penny think she's doing? "AGGIE'S TALKING TO A BOY! SHE'S A FREAK! A FREEEAAAAK!"
29. I don't see the appeal.
30. I also don't see why Nick shouldn't use this incident as an excuse to get a full physical. Seriously, that would've been an interesting followup interstitial: Aging and the parents of Penny and Aggie.
31. Aggie's just... so... unattracted to men. SO unattracted.
Twitcher

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Twitcher wrote:28. I just... what the hell does Penny think she's doing? "AGGIE'S TALKING TO A BOY! SHE'S A FREAK! A FREEEAAAAK!"

But if Penny recognizes Marshall as Karen's boyfriend, photos are a great way to mess with BOTH of her rivals.
FlyingFish

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:24 am

Twitcher wrote:25. Love? SEX! Nick and Charisma look a bit alike in these panels. Fits the theme of "Self-Love."
26. My sister doesn't read the comic much, but she keeps trying to tell me how Marshall's life is a grand tragedy. She's convinced me to the point that I can easily picture him spouting the dialogue of nearly any of Watchmen's lead characters.
27. Aggie's not bi at all. Nope. An acquaintance of mine has similar political leanings and the same artistic ambition, but is a much better artist than Aggie.
28. I just... what the hell does Penny think she's doing? "AGGIE'S TALKING TO A BOY! SHE'S A FREAK! A FREEEAAAAK!"
29. I don't see the appeal.
30. I also don't see why Nick shouldn't use this incident as an excuse to get a full physical. Seriously, that would've been an interesting followup interstitial: Aging and the parents of Penny and Aggie.
31. Aggie's just... so... unattracted to men. SO unattracted.

Could you fer seriously stop defining a character's sexuality? It isn't funny and is quite annoying. ESPECIALLY when yer stereotyping bisexuals. >=(
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby oddtail » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 am

@Twitcher: I don't understand your comments regarding 27 and 31. I *think* 31 is supposed to be sarcastic on your part... but has anyone said that Aggie is unattracted to men? I'm confused.

As to 27... I don't even understand what you mean. Are bisexuals are stereotypically expected to be artistic? Never heard that one. Even if such a stereotype existed, what does that have to do with this particular comic?

An elaboration would be much appreciated :D
oddtail

Postby Twitcher » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:54 am

A later arc implies, if not outright shows, that Aggie was attracted to Marshall only because he looked feminine, and attached herself to Darren solely as a subconscious beard, and that both of these were forms of denial: She was always a lesbian. But that's not how sexuality works. I happen to think Aggie, as well as Penny, is bi, and you could make a case for bisexual erasure in this comic just like others have made a case for bisexual erasure in Buffy: If Willow is on the farther end of the Kinsey scale, what are we to make of her romantic and sexual attraction to Oz?
Twitcher

Postby oddtail » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:04 am

I don't think "a lesbian may be attracted to a guy because he looks feminine" is how it typically works...

...I think assuming Aggie is bisexual is more valid. Or, alternatively, Marshall was her one-time exceptional crush, and she is otherwise a lesbian. Or even - she was more attracted to the idea of Marshall inside her head than to the guy himself, which seems to be supported by some of what happened in the comic.
oddtail

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:05 am

Neither in the comic itself, nor in his comments here in the forum or elsewhere, has T ever claimed that Aggie was exclusively gay, that her attraction to Marshall--leaving aside the question of whether she ever had a chance with him--was anything but genuine romantically and physically.

Any bisexual erasure there is in the comic exists only in the minds of certain readers.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby oddtail » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:11 am

Alice Macher wrote:Neither in the comic itself, nor in his comments here in the forum or elsewhere, has T ever claimed that Aggie was exclusively gay, that her attraction to Marshall--leaving aside the question of whether she ever had a chance with him--was anything but genuine romantically and physically.

I think it's a valid interpretation that Aggie, at the moment where she has strong doubts about being attracted to men, meets a boy that fits her stereotypes of what a good person is (honestly, she swoons because he likes dogs). She obviously creates a rather... saintly image of Marshall inside her head. I'm not saying she's not attracted to him, but I do think it's justified if someone gives the WAY she is attracted to him some closer scrutiny (as well as her reasons).

As to bisexual erasure, I barely know what that is, so I won't comment.
oddtail

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Vince Clarke being straight and Andy Bell being gay does not add up to Erasure as a whole being bisexual. :P
Bo Lindbergh

Re:

Postby CEOIII » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Bo Lindbergh wrote:Vince Clarke being straight and Andy Bell being gay does not add up to Erasure as a whole being bisexual. :P

*blinks*

*googles*

Oh, OK. In that case....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Adrishiana » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Bo Lindbergh wrote:Vince Clarke being straight and Andy Bell being gay does not add up to Erasure as a whole being bisexual. :P

You're going to Heck.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Next

Return to General Discussion