Re-read week 65: Dinner for Six 19 - 24

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 65: Dinner for Six 19 - 24

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Dinner for Six 19 20 21 22 23 24
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 65: Dinner for Six 19 - 24

Postby timemonkey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Let the overly contrived coincidences and misunderstandings begin! Also, behold, the last plotline Marshal is ever really relevant to!
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:55 pm

timemonkey wrote:Also, behold, the last plotline Marshal is ever really relevant to!

"Bedside Manners?" "When She Was Good?" "Suicide Run?" "Providence in the Fall?" :)

Also: Aggie in Strip #24 is comedy gold. Her head catching fire (a panel I've often used in here myself as an alternative to typing "*nosebleed*"), her forgetting how to say "Hi" in between the "h" and "i"... definitely within my top ten funniest P&A strips.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby timemonkey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Marshal is not relevant in any of them. He appears in them, yes, but his absence wouldn't have affected them all that much. That's always been my biggest problem with his character, he gets all that panel time, a whole backstory, every girl in the strip is crazy for him, he's the love interests to one of the strip's primary antagonists and it all leads to nothing.
timemonkey

Postby CEOIII » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:17 pm

timemonkey wrote:Marshal is not relevant in any of them. He appears in them, yes, but his absence wouldn't have affected them all that much. That's always been my biggest problem with his character, he gets all that panel time, a whole backstory, every girl in the strip is crazy for him, he's the love interests to one of the strip's primary antagonists and it all leads to nothing.

At the very least, we should've gotten one final Aggie/Marshall confrontation after Karen's final embarassment.

Nevermind that, though, we have a Three's Company homage to get through.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby timemonkey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Yeah. I actually spent the other day thinking of all the wasted ways Marshal could have affected the series. That's when it hit me that despite all his focus he's ultimately a fairly pointless character. I always knew something really bugged me, I thought it was because everyone was so into him for no real reason, but it's the completely lack of conclusion of any of the mini-plots he's given throughout the series that really bugs me.
timemonkey

Postby brasca » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:34 am

timemonkey wrote:Yeah. I actually spent the other day thinking of all the wasted ways Marshal could have affected the series. That's when it hit me that despite all his focus he's ultimately a fairly pointless character. I always knew something really bugged me, I thought it was because everyone was so into him for no real reason, but it's the completely lack of conclusion of any of the mini-plots he's given throughout the series that really bugs me.

Being someone for Karen and Aggie to fight over leads somewhere important. Moreover, he never went to the same school as the others so his interaction with everyone was going to be limited. The only reason Karen mattered is because she wanted to take down the queen bee of another school. If she had concentrated on her own school they would have been completely irrelevant. Not everything is concluded neatly before graduation and I presume after that last time Marshall and Aggie spoke, he wanted to avoid upsetting her and stayed away. Perhaps he thought about calling her, but seeing as how he misread Karen so badly and never had the best social skills to begin with he chose to concentrate on his life post high school. Somehow in the future he met Michelle so maybe he contacted Aggie through her or possibly Nick since he was on good terms with him even after everything fell through. If Helen could make a call in the future then so could he.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Karen and Aggie don't actually fight over him though. He works fine as Aggie's crush and Karen's boyfriend but he gets used outside that when he shouldn't. Being from a different area actually could have been good. Sara apparently thought enough of him to use him as her ultimate test for her sexuality (why that is I'm not sure) but they go nowhere with that. They could have talked a few times before she outed herself to other characters, but instead she just goes straight to Lisa/Aggie/Fred/Daphne, rendering Marshal pointless. She could have talked to him during the whole rape rumor, but again she doesn't. Him hanging around with Aggie and her dad never goes anywhere, and he never intervenes or even finds out about most fo the things Karen was doing, even his leaving her has no real affect.
timemonkey

Postby Twitcher » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:10 am

You know what would've been neat? If Marshall had been slotted into the Darren Danforth role somehow. We know for sure that Darren has a life outside of the women who use him as a blank slate, or at least, he wants to have one. But Marshall's life revolves around Karen, Aggie, Charisma, Sara, Michelle... who is he, beyond them, other than a future doctor?
Twitcher

Return to General Discussion