Re-read week 64: Dinner for Six 13 - 18

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 64: Dinner for Six 13 - 18

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Dinner for Six 13 14 15 16 17 18
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 64: Dinner for Six 13 - 18

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:11 pm

XD C'mon Aggie. It won't be tha....yeah it's gonna be worse.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby CEOIII » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Come and knock on my door
We've been waiting for you

.....I did that from memory. *headdesk* OLD.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby timemonkey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:05 pm

I am creeped out that Penny's dad was checking out a girl that looks just like his daughter.
timemonkey

Postby Twitcher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 am

13. I hate Takahashi couples.
14. Really, doesn't Penny have anything better to do?
15. I reiterate: WHAT THE CHRIST IS THAT oh it's Penny.
16. Did Karen read The Art Of War as a pre-teen? I still don't quite get her.
17. Clocks = Symbolism?
18. I'm with timemonkey. Eeegh.
Twitcher

Postby svenman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:02 am

timemonkey wrote:I am creeped out that Penny's dad was checking out a girl that looks just like his daughter.

Given that this girl probably also looks kinda like Mrs. Levac did thirty or so years ago, maybe it's not that creepy after all?
svenman

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 am

1. Helen looks a bit Seussian here.
2. Plenty of people?
3. KA is possibly the wrong person to talk about revenge to.
4. Cyndi, pre-sociopathy.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby brasca » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:45 am

Twitcher wrote:14. Really, doesn't Penny have anything better to do?

Probably, but seeing as how Aggie instigated this latest dispute she's justified. Terrifying, but justified which was a stupid move on Aggie's part seeing as how Penny is more than capable of striking back in ways that will not get her in trouble with Giulliani.
brasca

Postby Twitcher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Sometimes you're the better person if you don't retaliate, though. Morality is a damn good thing to develop in high school, and it unnerves me that Penny and Aggie would cast the principles they claim to have aside for something so petty, even at the age of 15-16, where hormones reign and ignorance is the byword.
Twitcher

Postby timemonkey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Penny is Queen Bee, she can't afford to show weakness and hope to maintain her status. Doesn't make it right but it makes sense. Aggie thinks she's in the right so she won't back down.
timemonkey

Postby CEOIII » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:49 pm

"Turn the other cheek" is a nice sentiment, but it's been my experience that all that gets you is punched in the other side of your face.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 pm

I love the close-up on Sara in the first strip. Very sultry.

As for the revenge question, I think that in this arc, Penny opts for high-octane revenge pretty much because the plot requires her to. (Much like how the plot requires the "six" of the arc's title--minus Nick--suddenly to forget basic verbal communication, because farces, especially of the Three's Company type, tend not to work well with people being clear and communicative.) Recall that Penny has let most (though not all) previous humiliations at Aggie's hands go without retaliation. The "make her look bad in front of her boss" bit in "The Best of Enemies" and the "go shopping at lunch to buy the same outfit as her" ploy in between "Uptown Girl" and "Weights" are two examples that come to mind.

Penny did retaliate in a sense for the "Worse than Hitler" incident, by embarassing Aggie in "Campaign Trail" with "Why, it's... WORSE THAN A DEATH CAMP!" Note, though, that this came some time after the "Race Card" incident and that Penny's motivation at that moment had more to do with wanting to squash Sara's "You're secretly queer for her" suggestion. (That exchange between Penny and Aggie opened with Penny leaping out the window at the sight of Aggie, and ended with Penny retreating to the washroom and going weak in the knees.)

So again, I think the reason for Penny going all "Must. Get. Revenge" in the present chapter has little to do with the magnitude of what Aggie did, nor even with it being the latest in a history of such acts, and more with it being a plot instrument to get Penny to the Food Court and get caught up with all the others in the web of misunderstandings.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby timemonkey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:24 am

Penny didn`t really care about the job she lost though, the recent incident was on her home turf which she does actually care about, where her reputation matters.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:30 am

timemonkey wrote:Penny didn`t really care about the job she lost though, the recent incident was on her home turf which she does actually care about, where her reputation matters.

I wasn't referring to the bookstore job she lost (they both made each other lose their job there), but to her Cloth-Mart job. She didn't lose her job there, but her supervisor, after Aggie had finished tormenting her and left, told Penny to be nicer to her because she'd just spent hundreds of dollars. It was at that point that Penny first considered revenge against Aggie.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:43 am

It's kind of great how Aggie is so regularly indignant about what I suppose she'd view as *conspicuous consumption on Penny's part - but willing to drop shitloads of money on stuff she may not even like or want for the sole purpose of getting to her.

*Since Penny maintains a certain public persona - "I don't really need the perfect shoes, it's just fun to pretend I do" - I'd say there's definitely an element of conspicuous consumption here. (OMG, a teenager showing off some. Horrors!) But I really don't think Penny would maintain said persona for so long if she didn't actually like the clothing and so on on some level.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Return to General Discussion