Triggering A Panic Attack

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Triggering A Panic Attack

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Ok. I've been thinking about this for a while now. But one time a few months ago. My mom was going to put down flooring (NO ONE she asked came to help) and she had to get rid of Idiot Boy. So to convince him that we weren't having the internet for a LONG time. She triggered one of my panic attacks. Sure she apologized afterward because these things aren't good for my health in the slightest bit. (I hadn't gotten my meds yet.) I don't know if I'm over-reacting by thinking this as abuse. Do you guys think this counts as abuse?
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Re: Triggering A Panic Attack

Postby Valerie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:19 pm

I think I missed something somewhere, so let me make sure I understand.

Your mother needed to convince your brother that there was no internet so that he would leave. In order to convince him of that, she intentionally triggered a panic attack? How would making you have a panic attack convince your brother that there was no internet? Or do you mean she told him there was no internet, you overheard, and believing it sent you into panic attack?

If she intentionally triggered a panic attack, then yes, I would say that's pretty abusive. Especially if you didn't have your meds for it. Can't people die from bad enough panic attacks? That could have ended very badly.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:22 pm

She told me that she'd be cutting the internet connection off for a while. I got upset and she seemed to just make it get worse. She told me later that Idiot Boy had to see this to believe it was real. Because triggering me at all when I hadn't had my meds for a while is somehow okay. :\
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Valerie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:She told me that she'd be cutting the internet connection off for a while. I got upset and she seemed to just make it get worse. She told me later that Idiot Boy had to see this to believe it was real. Because triggering me at all when I hadn't had my meds for a while is somehow okay. :\

(After looking it up, I guess you can't die from it. Still, though.)

Yeah, that's pretty messed up. And that she was intentionally causing you this distress in order to achieve something that she wanted... ummm... your mom does not sound like a very nice person. I'd say that's definitely abuse.

Edit: Also, the fact that she put you through all of this instead of simply telling your brother to leave for a short period of time. What the hell, Mom.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:28 pm

I suppose not. I really can't tell sometimes. I mean I tend to overreact over small things and I thought this was one of them. She does do nice things for me. And she pays for my medication. (Though she forgets to fill it at times and acts like it's not a problem. Despite me telling her my headaches and muscle twitches get worse. Really worse without it.) But I could be exaggerating this. I kind of am a hypochondriac at times.

This isn't helping my Mom sound like a good person is it?

Edit: I don't think he would've done it. Though getting a restraining order like she said she would seems like an option. She has yet to do it. I know she loves him but he's stolen my medication more than once and left me screwed. Along with stealing a good portion of her money along with mine.
LadyObvious23

Postby Artemisia » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 pm

That was very wrong of her. It was horrific that she felt she needed to trigger an attack in you just to convince your brother- her son- to leave the house. HUGS.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby Valerie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but is moving out an option? It doesn't sound like a good environment for anyone.

As usual.

Valerie

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 am

@ Arte *hugs* I know. But he's not exactly a good person. We suspect he's been selling some of the medication that he steals from me.

@ Val DX Sadly I do not possess the means to move out. I wouldn't be able to afford any place to live at this time. So I'm pretty much stuck here.
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I've been having to deal with some of my more... insecure PCAs trying to crazymake since they're worried about what I'm saying about them to my therapist. (It started with one of them assuming I was making fun of her and snowballed from there. Predictably, they haven't straight up asked me about what I said, cause that would imply they respected me.) Just ignore her, talk to your therapist, if you have one, a close friend, too, and distance yourself from her if you can. Courage.
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:33 pm

I don't. Wish I did but I don't. Sadly most of my close friends are either in college,too busy or moved away before I got any form of email/phone number. Cuz I suck at getting those. So all I really could do is hide in my room or go to the Cafe where I work a ton. But with the weather that'll be hard to do.
LadyObvious23

Postby mikbuster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:44 am

Well, good friends don't just have to be people you've met in person. I was just realizing this weekend that even though I've experienced some problems that other people are, I don't always notice or remember it. A friend was having a panic attack. She's learned techniques to deal with them, during a partial hospitalization, so she was fine, but I forgot she had a problem with that. We were at a group meeting that was decided to be a potluck thing. There were more people there than she was comfortable with, or than I normally am either. I guess I was dealing with it by focusing on just a small group of people that I was talking with and moving around a lot. Also, the hyperactivity meant moving around too :D

So... yeah, she should have cleared it with you and found a way without worrying you *hugs*
And if you want to talk, which it sound like you need someone for, you know that several people around here would be happy to listen. :) We may not have been in your exact position, but some of us have gone through some of the same things *hugs*
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:12 am

*hugs* Thanks Mik. :3
LadyObvious23

Postby Artemisia » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:06 am

HUGS

Just remember, many of us have been in the same position as you are, or similar positions, or just get panic attacks.

We worry about you and want you to be alright and happy.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby Valerie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:56 am

Artemisia wrote:HUGS

Just remember, many of us have been in the same position as you are, or similar positions, or just get panic attacks.

We worry about you and want you to be alright and happy.

This. This board is full of tough cookies, and you're one of them, Lady. <3

As usual.

Valerie

Postby mikbuster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Hey, I'm a very soft and sweet cookie :P
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Next

Return to General Discussion