Re-read week 63: Dinner for Six 5 - 12

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 63: Dinner for Six 5 - 12

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Dinner for Six 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 63: Dinner for Six 5 - 12

Postby CEOIII » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Aggie, High Priestess of the High Road.

Down, Karen. I'm sure she's just like one of those skinny bitches that used to torment you, but yanking out Mar's hair doesn't help anyone.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 pm

.....fer fuck's sake. Can Daphne be even more of a fucking sheep.

And I'm so glad Aggie grew the fuck out of doing this kind of stupid shit.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby mikbuster » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:34 pm

ooh, I had that aura of invisibility too, it's a blessing, and a curse :wink:
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Twitcher » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 am

5. I tend to dream-cast comic characters as if they were going to be animated. Right now, at least, Charisma's voice sounds like Cat from Contrast.
6. How would Aggie have reacted had the meeting gone as planned?
7. Idiot plot ahoy!
8. Dammit, Aggie.
9. Well, Mar does have about as much personality as pre-EU Luke...
10. Karen tends to see people as symbols... did she ever learn to break that habit?
11. I hate everyone in this particular comic except Penny, Katy, and Sara.
12. Christ, I love it when my aura of invisibility kicks in. It can be very useful.
Twitcher

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:11 am

It strikes me that what may have really stoked Penny's anger (apart from the mean and uncalled-for prank itself, of course), causing her to go all piranha-faced and obsessed with revenge, was her isolation here. Had Michelle, who was still in her "Penny's yes-woman" phase, been present, she would've backed her up against Aggie's and Daphne's insults. Instead, Katy-Ann was all "C'mon, take the high road" while Sara was off in Agenny-Shipping Land. Both their reactions were, of course, completely in character. And, one could argue, they prevented this from escalating right then and there and ending up with Giuliani making good on his "after-school cleaning duty" warning. But none of this mattered to Penny at this moment, and that's I think why she went rather over-the-top in the rest of this arc (everything from "I WILL DESTROY HER!" to preparing multiple revenge strategies to gleeing at Aggie supposedly being bulimic).
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:55 am

mikbuster wrote:ooh, I had that aura of invisibility too, it's a blessing, and a curse :wink:

In Helen's case it's very handy when it comes to information gathering. Better to make a strength out of a liability is how I see it.

I think this whole soda can prank was necessary so we don't feel as bad about what Aggie goes through during Dinner for Six. Here she willingly breaks her peaceful principles for the sake of revenge and later she will reluctantly break her vegan principles for the sake of a guy and feel a whole lot worse later.
brasca

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 am

One of the interesting things about P&A is that Aggie is often the antagonist - Penny seems to largely leave her alone unless provoked.

Aggie eventually stops being so... unlikable (Daphne and Lisa... I guess one out of three is...okay one out of three is pretty bad, Aggie; get new friends), but if the Terrible Trio were to leave the cafeteria and somehow slip and fall in unison into a face full of something disgusting while Stan is magically on hand with his camera, weeelll...
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 am

The sad thing is Daphne probably could have been a likable character if we'd ever been given some insight into her mind.
timemonkey

Postby oddtail » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 am

timemonkey wrote:The sad thing is Daphne probably could have been a likable character if we'd ever been given some insight into her mind.

I don't know how likeable that makes her... but frankly, I kinda like her. I think I get her, to an extent.
oddtail

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:57 pm

timemonkey wrote:The sad thing is Daphne probably could have been a likable character if we'd ever been given some insight into her mind.

I won't quote it extensively out of respect for the fact that it was a paid perk (sorry), but at one point (in reference to this strip) T said (paraphrasing) in P&A Plus that the strip reveals that Daphne has a policy of helping others in hopes that good karma will improve her *life eventually and maybe if we'd seen more of that, the readership would have liked her better, but unfortunately pettiness claimed more of her energy.

(If mentioning this is inappropriate, let me know and I will edit ASAP.)

So seeing more of this helping others could have helped, too, though I'm not sure how much it would have helped had it been obvious that Daphne's reason for helpfulness had been in hopes of **eventual benefit to Daphne.

*Did we ever find out why Daphne hated her stepfather at one point? I don't believe it was in comic (Daphne said something like "Fred knows why"), but I think at some point T said that she mostly hated him because things changed a lot after her mom remarried. I could be remembering wrong, though!
**Naturally, I am not suggesting that Daphne is the only one who has ever done anything nice/helpful in hopes of some kind of quid pro quo, or even that it is particularly wrong to do this. The statement just sort of implies that this is Daphne's general outlook towards helpful behavior - "I will be helpful because it will directly or indirectly benefit me to do so and therefore is worth my time and energy" - and that seems a tad... mercenary.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:19 pm

I just think of characters like Helen and Charlotte and how they're so much more sympathetic than they should be because we got to see things from their perspectives. I mean, hell, we never once got a reason she was into Sara aside from the fact that she was the only available lesbian. Even after they were together, there was nothing.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 pm

I think it would've helped with Fred's and Daphne's characterization both (albeit in different ways, since Fred was always more sympathetic than Daphne, if kind of one-dimensional) if we'd seen more interaction between just the two of them, as in the strip Adrishiana cited. But I can understand why that didn't happen, given that many readers felt that T and Gis had cast too wide a net as it was, and wanted to see more of Penny and Aggie.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Twitcher » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Fred and Daphne... I would've liked to know who they were beyond the Whedon-fan and the milquetoast that we saw at first glance. There's got to be more to the characters... doesn't there?
Twitcher

Return to General Discussion