Music to run to - advice?

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Music to run to - advice?

Postby oddtail » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:42 am

So, here's the deal.

I took up running last spring - a thing I'd done before, but kinda stopped at one point. Since the spring (I think it was April or May), I've managed to run semi-regularly. I don't run on fixed days or even a fixed number of days each week (mostly because I try to reconcile running with martial arts training, and I don't always have the strength to go running after an hour or two of doing the job of a human ragdoll), but I try to run multiple times in a typical week, and at least four times on a good week. Typically, I run about 3 kilometres in one go, at a fairly quick pace, but no sprinting or anything.

The thing is, now that I'm in a fairly good shape, I want to gradually shift towards running a bit longer distances, with my end goal being to extend my typical run to about 15 km. The OTHER thing is, a surprisingly large part of my motivation to run is the music I pick for running.

And, well, the music I've been using for the past half year or so just won't do anymore. For one, I've gotten too used to it - and something I'm too familiar with does not do well to get me psyched/pumped/whatever the best word is. For another, I obviously need a longer playlist now. For 3 or even 5 km, I rarely need more than about 20 minutes of continuous music. For 10 km or more... yeah.

So, I was hoping I'd get suggestions for what could work as "running music", because I'm mostly drawing a blank. Please note: of course the right pace and the strong beat are important, but the lyrics are also kinda a factor. I tend to daydream/focus on the music when I'm running, and music that seems "inspiring" is as important as fast-paced music to me.

Other than that, any suggestion is welcome, no matter how unusual/strange/corny/silly.

So far, the songs I have in mind are as follows:

1) "Of Wolf and Man" by Metallica
2) "Till I collapse" by Eminem

The songs I used in the playlist I am hoping to retire (and which I'd rather not repeat in the new one) are as follows:

1) "I'll make a man out of you" from the movie Mulan
2) "U can't touch this" by MC Hammer
3) The theme song from the German dub of the Pokémon anime [...for some reason]
4) "It's my life" by Jon Bon Jovi
5) "We are the champions" by Queen [it used to be in this part of the playlist because when I started out, I would run slower at this point... it doesn't work very well anymore, as I don't get tired after the first two kilometres or so]
6) "You shook me all night long" by AC/DC
7) "99 Problems" by Jay Z
8 ) Theme from the Superman movie.

Again, thanks in advance for ANY suggestions, even if I don't end up using them. Well-known and cheesy songs would be most appreciated, but really, anything goes. Except "Eye of the Tiger" and "You're the best around", because I've been overexposed to those songs and they just wouldn't work ;).
Last edited by oddtail on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
oddtail

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:03 am

<too_obvious>Matthew Wilder: Break My Stride</too_obvious>
Bo Lindbergh

Re: Music to run to - advice?

Postby Lia S » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:33 am

Some things from my running “playlist” which isn’t really a list...

To start:
Bodyrockers - I Like The Way
Hammerfall - Hearts On Fire
OK Go - End Love

Middle:
Volker Hinkel - Run ( :mrgreen: )
The Tragically Hip - My Music At Work
The Tragically Hip - The Bastard
The Tragically Hip - 700 Ft. Ceiling
The Tragically Hip - Coconut Cream
The Tragically Hip - Love Is A First
K’s Choice - I Will Carry You
Kula Shaker - Smart Dogs
Madness - NW5
Maxïmo Park - Limassol
Maxïmo Park - Kiss You Better
Maxïmo Park - The National Health
Maxïmo Park - Wolf Among Men
Maxïmo Park - The Unshockable
The Killers - Somebody Told Me
The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
Bee Gees - Voice In The Wilderness
Heart - Barracuda

For sprints:
K’s Choice - Old Woman
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Motorhead - Ace Of Spades

Home stretch:
Hatsune Miku - Triple Baka (on repeat. xD )
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Papuasblya » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:48 am

Try some of these out:

Hot-N-Cold by Katy Perry when you're trying to break a 3:30 mile. Warm up first with something else and then let this be your breakout song.

Uncertain Smile by The The, the version that clocks at exactly 10:00, perfect for a cold start turning a trot into a sprint. It starts with a popping percussive that gets joined with bass to get your gait started and then about six or seven minutes in it turns into a Jools Holland piano solo that is perfect for an accelerated sprint. If you're practicing to get up to speed early in something like a 5 or 10K, this is a great song. If you're in shape you can do 2 and a half miles or 3-4 km without noticing.

(Alternate with Green Grass and High Tides, the 9:46 version by the Outlaws. If you haven't run to country rock, especially on a hot summer day, you haven't run.)

Running Man by Al Stewart. There's a tympani roll leading into bashing piano that will get your heels up. At 5:40 try to put a mile and a half in.

Generally good tunes to have during long distance training:

Ridin' In My Car by NRBQ

China Grove by the Doobie Brothers

3 or 4 songs by Varttina sprinkled around because they have great drum and bass sounds. Try "Kauan Kulkenut," "Paivan Nousu Nostajani" and "Nahkarouska."

Born to Run, Springsteen. Time it for when you need your feet to stop listening to your head.

My Curse by Killswitch Engage. Time it for when you need your head to stop listening to your head, or for that part of your run where the only way to stop being afraid of cardiac arrest is to do everything you can to experience it. Alternate with Burning Down The House by the Talking Heads.

The Ballad of Barry Allen by Jim's Big Ego. Play it early while you're still able to think.

Sister Disco by the Who. Because synth.

Flaming Telepaths by Blue Oyster Cult. Same reason.

I Go Swimming, Peter Gabriel. Or basically any song that showcases what Tony Levin can do on bass.

Stick It Out by Frank Zappa from Joe's Garage. The lyrics are beyond filthy, and if you're just learning to speak German you might want to make sure you don't repeat the chorus to your teacher. The music however is smoking good.
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby mikbuster » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:55 am

just glanced at the above, but Eye of the Tiger is a traditional one :wink:
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Hexr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm cherrypicking from my personal list here. Some of these might not actually be good for keeping pace, just ideas.

Faster by Within Temptation
This Fire Burns by Killswitch
Inside the Fire by Disturbed
Liekeissä by Cheek
End of Me by Apocalyptica
Worst Part Is Over by Anna Abreu
Hiekka by Apulanta
Die Mother Fucker Die by Dope (May actually be better for gym training though)
Just Close Your Eyes by Story of the Year [NOT Waterproof Blonde]
Dangerous and Moving by t.A.T.u. (Because of course)
Dead to the World by Nightwish
I Came to Play by Downstait
Lose Yourself by Eminem
Bring Me to Life by Evanescence
Follow What You Need by We Are the Ocean
Generation by Simple Plan
Hurricane by 30 Seconds to Mars (ft. Kanye West)
Kirje by Janne Hurme
Kaunis Rietas Onnellinen by Kaija Koo
We Are One by 12 Stones
Titanium by David Guetta ft. Sia
Marching Season by Yanni
Final Countdown by Europe
Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi

So... there's some... got a bit carried away... I just watched a LilyPichu video and it reflects in my typing...

Papuasblya wrote:3 or 4 songs by Varttina sprinkled around because they have great drum and bass sounds. Try "Kauan Kulkenut," "Paivan Nousu Nostajani" and "Nahkarouska."

It's "Nahkaruoska". It only matters because it translates to "Leather Whip".
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
Hexr

Postby thebitterfig » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Man, I'd say something like Phish shows, put on a long jam with the principle that it's something to get lost in with a steady rhythm. However, that runs the risk of jams turning into something truly magical which just blots out the rest of your world. I mean, like Harry Hood right before you "feel good about Hood" or the old Pipers where it builds real slow. You just get locked in, might be distracting.

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins is probably good, though.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Valerie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:56 am

Hmmm... I am the opposite if a runner (more of a sitter, really), but there are some songs that I find are good to work to, so maybe one of those will help. Some of them are a little female-centric, so they might not work for you (I don't remember your gender, sorry).

Robyn - Fembot
Priscilla Renea - Dollhouse
Meg & Dia - What If. One Sail. Indiana. Hug Me. Getaways Turned Holidays. Black Wedding.
Kerli - Tea Party. Speed Limit.
Fall Out Boy - You're Crashing, But You're No Wave. The Phoenix. I Don't Care.
The Guild - I'm the One That's Cool
Lily Allen - Hard Out Here
Ke$ha - Die Young
The Hush Sound - Honey
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby oddtail » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:02 am

@everyone - thanks a bunch for all the suggestions! You're all awesome. Between this thread, my own ideas/findings, and what my RL friends suggested, I think I'll have more than enough for a pretty decent playlist.

@Bo Lindbergh: that song actually works pretty well for my purposes, and I'd forgotten it exists ;)

@mikbuster: yes it is. That's *why* I've been overexposed to it, as I mentioned ;).

@Valerie: I'm a guy, but I don't mind female-centric songs. In fact, quote the opposite in some cases.
oddtail

Postby Evil Ben » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:38 pm

I like the following:

From Ray Koefoed
-Delicious Waffles
-Brutal Dance
Ray Koefoed and Ebola Projekt
-The Line
-Unit 731
-Anything She Wants
-Empty Summer Nights
Ray Koefoed and BZa
-Like a Machine
Ray Koefoed and Apple of Dead
-Decades of Blame

Heart
-Crazy On You
-Barracuda

Rage Against the Machine
-anything, really.

Poe
-Hey Pretty
-Wild

Kittie
-Run Like Hell
-who am I kidding, everything.

Billy Squire
-Everybody Wants You

Aldo Nova
-Fantasy

Amanda Ghost
-Filthy Mind

Babes in Toyland
-Sweet 69 (seriously, probably the best fem aggression song in the 90s)

There's others, but these are the ones I wanted to mention.
"It does what it's told." ~Peggy Dodson
Evil Ben

Postby oddtail » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:15 am

Evil Ben: thanks! I will check those out =)
oddtail

Return to General Discussion