Re-read week 61: Tees and Cues 11 - Undertow 8

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 61: Tees and Cues 11 - Undertow 8

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Tees and Cues 11
Undertow 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 61: Tees and Cues 11 - Undertow 8

Postby Hexr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Is there a reference in Undertow #1 I'm not getting?
#2: I adopted "Pleasure to bask in your radiance" to my vocabulary when I first read it here. However, is there an actual reason (other than "She's dating my friend's crush") for Lisa to be so hostile? I can't remember right now.
#3: Would this be appropriate use of "Dun dun DUNNNNN!" or however it's supposed to go.

Yeah, I got nothing on the rest of them.
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
Hexr

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:37 am

Lisa should shut up about other people's crushes? :\
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:46 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Lisa should shut up about other people's crushes? :\

And other people's tastes in music. She doesn't reveal it until Quiltbag, but someone who likes Train's "Drops of Jupiter" has no right to criticize Helen's taste in music. One of Lisa's least endearing qualities is music snobbery on the level of Jack Black's character from High Fidelity.

Part of the problem with Aggie's words of advice that "she needs to be around people who share their interests and like her for her" is that none of Helen's previous cliques including theirs fits and we see that in the next strip. Helen's preference of popular music puts her at odds with Lisa and ignorance of fashion and beauty secrets make her a source of derision for Daphne and Fred even if they just playfully teasing. As such the only person she turns to is someone who watches the same reality shows she does. I do find it odd that for someone who watches America's Next Top Model Helen is grossly ignorant of trends, but then again women's fashion is very incomprehensible.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Not really. Also I think it's not cool how Daphne picks on her like that. Considering all the schizz that Aggie wears. :\ And Fred's advice ain't better. Just cuz he's a gay dude doesn't mean he's got the best advice fer a straight girl.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:56 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Not really. Also I think it's not cool how Daphne picks on her like that. Considering all the schizz that Aggie wears. :\ And Fred's advice ain't better. Just cuz he's a gay dude doesn't mean he's got the best advice fer a straight girl.

Well I have to cut them a certain degree of slack seeing as how I do the same for Helen. :lol: I never understood fashion when I was in high school and it was a source of a lot of anger. Anger that I can still feel beneath the surface when I read this storyline. In the end all I cared about was not standing out enough to invite attention and derision. It's far worse for girls and especially one who can never react since she's afraid to speak her mind within her group.
brasca

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 pm

-For someone who is supposed to be as good at reading others as Stan is, his lack of listening skills are kind of surprising!
- "Blasted." Ha, Marshall. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that phrase outside of old books. Also, Has Lisa actually heard anything about Karen and/or Marshall from Aggie, or is she just making a snap judgment because they're conventional and, well, that's terrible?
- Helen. You are not good at knowing when not to say things, are you.
- Well, Lisa, you clearly think you are the most specially special person who ever specialed despite looking like Hot Topic threw up on you (you know, the same way it threw up on thousands of other people because you are not unique), so give other people a break on their taste, hey?

Also, if Daphne's that upset about blue and green I wonder how she feels about teal. (Or that skirt? pants? what is that?) The phrasing of Fred's statement, on the other hand, makes me think that Helen actually asked, but who knows.
- The swimsuit Karen's holding is cute. It's too bad that Karen is one of the few people we've really seen treat Helen decently (I think Aggie etc. try to, but never quite manage to connect with her), knowing what comes of it.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby CEOIII » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:31 am

Completely unrelated: That swimsuit works on Tharqua.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby brasca » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:28 pm

CEOIII wrote:Completely unrelated: That swimsuit works on Tharqua.

If there is one positive quality about Tharqa she's at least comfortable in her own skin.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Is Stan actually supposed to be good at reading people? He seems to think he is but he seems to get by on coming across as generic fun guy while his best bud actually pays attention to the people around him.
timemonkey

Postby CEOIII » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:39 pm

brasca wrote:

If there is one positive quality about Tharqa she's at least comfortable in her own skin.

Sometimes your own skin is all you have.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby timemonkey » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:13 pm

CEOIII wrote:
brasca wrote:

Sometimes your own skin is all you have.

Often when you're a horrible bitch with no sense of morality or compassion.
timemonkey

Postby Papuasblya » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:48 pm

timemonkey wrote:
Often when you're a horrible bitch with no sense of morality or compassion...

...Fox News is always hiring.
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby Twitcher » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:23 am

1. Helen's line is still my idea of humor.
2. What crawled up Lisa's butt today?
3. I mean, what the hell?
4. What the friggin' hell?
5. And this is where you see how badly Helen's been emotionally abused.
6. High School, where you learn how not to be you.
7. Sums up my relationship with ex-friend.
8. Sums up my relationship with clothes.
Twitcher

Return to General Discussion