Re-read week 60: Tees and Cues 4 - 10

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 60: Tees and Cues 4 - 10

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Tees and Cues 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 60: Tees and Cues 4 - 10

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:04 pm

In which Stan effortlessly makes himself into an even bigger douchebag than he already was. :roll:
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:11 pm

So Penny's freaking out and taking ti personally because the T-shirt got the focus instead of her face on the T-shirt add?
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:33 am

Sometimes T-shirt models do have their faces in the ad. Especially if they're pretty. Cuz it sells more shirts amongst teenagers.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 am

4: Stan, that line doesn't even make sense.

When I was in high school the track team had a shirt that said something like "harder, faster, longer." You can imagine how the parents felt about this. I think they'd feel about the same about a lot of Stan's shirts.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby brasca » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:17 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:In which Stan effortlessly makes himself into an even bigger douchebag than he already was. :roll:

True, but in this case he was upfront about Penny not being happy with the modeling gig and he didn't feature Brandi's face in the ads so he was fair in his merchandising scheme.

Meanwhile in the Something Positive universe Nancy's roommate who I assume is still Helen was absent for Davan's bachelor party. This could be signs of character growth since Sanderson only invited people he wants to have sex with and booze and lecherous men old enough to be her father are never a good combination for her.
brasca

Postby retrophrenologist » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:01 pm

brasca wrote:Meanwhile in the Something Positive universe Nancy's roommate who I assume is still Helen was absent for Davan's bachelor party. This could be signs of character growth since Sanderson only invited people he wants to have sex with and booze and lecherous men old enough to be her father are never a good combination for her.

On the other hand, Helen isn't really one of Davan's friends. More 'Nancy's annoying roommate'.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Yeah. We've seen both the bad and good sides of Helen, but Davan hasn't. He only knows her as "that annoying self-pitying girl in that IRC channel" and as "the drunken girl who called late at night telling me to dump Vanessa for Nancy...and to make matters worse it was Vanessa who answered."

And while his opinion of Helen may have softened after Nancy told him about all the abuse she'd suffered at her father's hands, there's still the fact they haven't even met in person, so the likelihood of their being close enough to be friends is small.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby timemonkey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:32 am

Helen has a good side? Seriously? WHEN?
timemonkey

Postby oddtail » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:24 am

timemonkey wrote:Helen has a good side? Seriously? WHEN?

I want to say "come on, that's rather harsh, she's not THAT bad"... but I guess my heart wouldn't really be in it if I did say so.
oddtail

Postby mikbuster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Adrishiana wrote:4: Stan, that line doesn't even make sense.

When I was in high school the track team had a shirt that said something like "harder, faster, longer." You can imagine how the parents felt about this. I think they'd feel about the same about a lot of Stan's shirts.

My class did a design saying "Made in the 80s" for a senior shirt. Everyone that bought one wore it the same day and they were all called into the library to be yelled at. It was funny to listen to. :wink: Apparently pointing out that you were born is a sexual innuendo. Who knew?
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Haha! Oh wow. That anyone would consider "Made in the 80s" a crude sexual innuendo is really something.

As for Stan's t-shirts, I do think "Ready for my deflowering" is something that, in-universe, could reasonably arouse parental concern. (Although Lisa certainly put it to good use in "July.") It's certainly consistent with Stan's "let it all hang out" sense of humour. And the fact he's able to get away with selling a t-shirt like that in school is consistent with his later campaign statements such as this flyer or this debate banter, due to Rule of Funny.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Yeah. We've seen both the bad and good sides of Helen, but Davan hasn't. He only knows her as "that annoying self-pitying girl in that IRC channel" and as "the drunken girl who called late at night telling me to dump Vanessa for Nancy...and to make matters worse it was Vanessa who answered."

And while his opinion of Helen may have softened after Nancy told him about all the abuse she'd suffered at her father's hands, there's still the fact they haven't even met in person, so the likelihood of their being close enough to be friends is small.

True, but Davan's boss, Sanderson is the one who invited the guests at Davan's bachelor party and his motivation was based on his sexual desires. Whether he knows anything about her is a moot point especially if liquor is involved. She's young, legal, and makes really stupid choices when she's intoxicated. All things that would work in his favor.

Glad to see some of the activity generated on this messageboard. I would've responded sooner, but this season leaves me little free time.
brasca

Postby CEOIII » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:27 am

I've subscribed to this entire forum, but I didn't get a "YOU GOT NEW TOPICS YAY!" email for either of the new comic postings.

Can you subscribe to a specific poster? If I just subscribe to Topic Starter Robot I hopefully won't miss anything. Hopefully.

As for this comic: I know I shouldn't be liking Stan, but that last comic.......20 bucks, woman, cough it up.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Return to General Discussion