Re-read week 59: Behind Closed Doors 41 - Tees and Cues 3

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 59: Behind Closed Doors 41 - Tees and Cues 3

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Behind Closed Doors 41 42 43
Tees and Cues 1 2 3
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 59: Behind Closed Doors 41 - Tees and Cues

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:18 am

Last time I checked sexual assault is not apart of a "healthy" lifestyle. And I think his Mom was hoping it'd happen. DX
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:21 am

#41: "Good God... the power." Good God... go fug yourself, Karen. :x
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:00 pm

The first time Penny calls Stan a gerbil. It will not be the last.
FlyingFish

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:39 pm

A thing that occurred to me: Karen's makeover is one of the relatively few in fiction that feature the character being taught how to care for her curly/wavy hair instead of how to straighten it.

On to the show!

Hate u, Karen.

... That's about it.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby CEOIII » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Gerbil? The teeth, I guess. Stan's an alright looking guy.

Karen..............never wanted to punch a woman in the mouth as much as I wanted to punch her here.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby brasca » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:21 am

Adrishiana wrote:A thing that occurred to me: Karen's makeover is one of the relatively few in fiction that feature the character being taught how to care for her curly/wavy hair instead of how to straighten it.

Originally, but as time goes on her hair gets straighter and longer. It might be a cosmetic choice or a way for the artists to show her gradually turning in Marshall's mother.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:01 pm

I don't know, his mom's a self absorbed bitch, but I don't think she's anywhere near as bad as Karen. Karen KNOWS she's being bad but just doesn't care, Marshal's mom doesn't seem to really get when she's being terrible as she's too focussed on herself.
timemonkey

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm

brasca wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:A thing that occurred to me: Karen's makeover is one of the relatively few in fiction that feature the character being taught how to care for her curly/wavy hair instead of how to straighten it.

Originally, but as time goes on her hair gets straighter and longer. It might be a cosmetic choice or a way for the artists to show her gradually turning in Marshall's mother.

True! Could also be a feature of over-moisturizing (which we see her do early on and can take a little bit of experimentation to figure out since hair varies so wildly from person to person) or the curl/wave pattern elongating as her hair grows out (and gets heavier, though my hair was still curly/wavy even when it was close to waist length, so it doesn't necessarily do this as it grows out).

timemonkey wrote:I don't know, his mom's a self absorbed bitch, but I don't think she's anywhere near as bad as Karen. Karen KNOWS she's being bad but just doesn't care, Marshal's mom doesn't seem to really get when she's being terrible as she's too focussed on herself.

Karen, I think, feels entitled to get and do what she wants (no matter who else she steps on to do it) because she was treated so badly for so long.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm

I get that, but she still knows it's not the right thing to do morally.
timemonkey

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:21 pm

On a lighter note, <3 Jack. He doesn't have Stan's patter, but sometimes he sees things much more clearly.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:30 pm

brasca wrote:Originally, but as time goes on her hair gets straighter and longer. It might be a cosmetic choice or a way for the artists to show her gradually turning in Marshall's mother.

Never thought of that interpretation. It'd be ironic, given that we know Karen, even before she witnessed Charisma's "put on earth to slow me down" outburst, has sympathized with Marshall against his mother.

That said, Gisèle's and, thereby, T's intent with the hair-strengthening and lengthening seems to have gone in a different direction:

TCampbell wrote:Kudos to Gisele for thinking of Karen's transformation into Penny 2.0, which really worked for "The Popsicle War."

----------------

thebitterfig wrote:On a lighter note, <3 Jack. He doesn't have Stan's patter, but sometimes he sees things much more clearly.

Yes indeed. Michelle may not be Silent Bob, but Jack sure qualifies.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Louisa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:03 am

Speaking of "<3 Jack", take a look at Katy-Ann in the first panel of #2. Much later, she'll explain to Jack that he seems like a "good bet" to her, partly because of the nature of his relationship with Stan. I wonder if overhearing this conversation is one of the moments that led her to this conclusion.
Louisa

Return to General Discussion