Re-read week 53: Behind Closed Doors 5 - 10

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 53: Behind Closed Doors 5 - 10

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Behind Closed Doors 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 53: Behind Closed Doors 5 - 10

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:24 pm

#7: Trivia time! "Moded," which I had to look up because I never heard it as a teenager, was the June 21, 2006 Urban Word of the Day on UrbanDictionary.com.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby CEOIII » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:32 pm

.....was Penny offended in 10?

.....WHY was Penny offended in 10?
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:37 pm

What she was constantly trying to project didn't include non-virginity.
Bo Lindbergh

Postby CEOIII » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:55 pm

She didn't call Pen a whore or anything, she's just trying to get advice on fucking from a friend.
CEOIII

Postby brasca » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 pm

I know #5 are scenarios that are all in Nick's head, but the only one that I could see Aggie being upset with is the ceremonial burning of her deceased mother's image seeing as how she reacted when he was throwing out some of her old magazines. Nick never struck me as some authoritarian religious father and Aggie would probably be cool with her Dad was wearing makeup.
brasca

Postby thebitterfig » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:11 pm

CEOIII wrote:She didn't call Pen a whore or anything, she's just trying to get advice on fucking from a friend.

True, but it's a tricky line. Michelle implied she was more knowledgeable than sex-ed class or Cosmo. A Tibetan monk* is probably more knowledgeable than Cosmo, but that's not the point. Meanwhile, if one of her inner circle thinks this about her, Pen's got to wonder how folks outside see her. Underwear pics deposed the last queen bee, so that possibly implies something Riverview's view of sex, and Penny knows this. It probably wouldn't take much to push a person over from popular to un- with a few 'whore's or 'slut's.

Plus, teenagers are idiots about everything about sex. Why would this be different?

*I don't remember if this was from an interview or a reporter, but the Dalai Lama is puzzled by the number of couples who ask him for relationship advice. Folks too used to other celibate religious leaders sticking their advice in unbidden so as they's come to expect it? On the other hand, Francisco Uno is blowing my mind. "Proselytism is solemn nonsense, it makes no sense. We need to get to know each other, listen to each other and improve our knowledge of the world around us. Sometimes after a meeting I want to arrange another one because new ideas are born and I discover new needs. This is important: to get to know people, listen, expand the circle of ideas." The Pope said that (it's translated, but still). I mean, *THE POPE*. It's tomorrow already and I'm way off topic, but damn.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:30 pm

thebitterfig wrote:Underwear pics deposed the last queen bee, so that possibly implies something Riverview's view of sex, and Penny knows this.

Meg didn't lose her alpha status because people thought the photos made her look slutty. They were, after all, taken at her slumber party, where everyone would've been in their undies. Rather, people thought her particular choice of undies was tacky, unfashionable.
Alice Macher

Postby CEOIII » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 pm

thebitterfig wrote:On the other hand, Francisco Uno is blowing my mind. "Proselytism is solemn nonsense, it makes no sense. We need to get to know each other, listen to each other and improve our knowledge of the world around us. Sometimes after a meeting I want to arrange another one because new ideas are born and I discover new needs. This is important: to get to know people, listen, expand the circle of ideas." The Pope said that (it's translated, but still). I mean, *THE POPE*. It's tomorrow already and I'm way off topic, but damn.

THIS. We have an abortion-non-hating, non-homophobic POPE. I may start liking church.
CEOIII

Postby timemonkey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 am

Alice Macher wrote:
thebitterfig wrote:Underwear pics deposed the last queen bee, so that possibly implies something Riverview's view of sex, and Penny knows this.

Meg didn't lose her alpha status because people thought the photos made her look slutty. They were, after all, taken at her slumber party, where everyone would've been in their undies. Rather, people thought her particular choice of undies was tacky, unfashionable.

Not to mention she completely lost her composure in the face of the pictures. If she'd kept her cool and acted like it was no big and their opinions didn't affect her she probably would have been fine.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:33 am

Agreed. I think T himself said something to that effect in Q&A, during the re-read for "The Best of Enemies."
Alice Macher

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 am

#5: "I'm totally lying" gets a little more spooky in retrospect, knowing Karen will go on to the Shower Scene.
#6: "It isn't my lipstick." Why not, Nick? You'd rock pink!
#10: Thinking about it, Penny's coolness may be a result of her lack of experience. While Penny's image up to now has included a certain amount of untouchable-ness, Penny also doesn't like to look lacking in something unless she chose to do it (i.e. portraying herself as being academically disinclined).
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Adrishiana wrote:#10: Thinking about it, Penny's coolness may be a result of her lack of experience. While Penny's image up to now has included a certain amount of untouchable-ness, Penny also doesn't like to look lacking in something unless she chose to do it (i.e. portraying herself as being academically disinclined).

Also, while Penny does prefer to conceal much of what she's feeling or what she's capable of, she generally isn't the sort to outright lie.* Other alpha girls in other schools might well try to boost their "unattainably sexy" quotient by making vague references (so as not to be labelled a "slut" or "easy") to sexytimes that never happened but conveniently can't be disproven ("that magical night on vacation in Corfu with Raul the towel boy"). But that's not Penny's style.

*Note the "generally." She does make up that "I'm a friend of Aggie's and she forgot her earrings" bit in the first storyline, and tries to stop her mom from catching her with Stan by claiming she's been having "weird dreams" that make her call out stuff and that she needs to catch up on sleep. And there may be other cases where she outright fabricates things. But those are exceptions to Penny's usual tendency either to, as I said, merely conceal the whole truth about herself... or to engage in brutal honesty. "See, you're the captain of the Scrabble club, and I'm...not.")
Alice Macher

Postby Twitcher » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:24 am

5. Funny. As. Hell.
6. Stuff like this is why I wish we'd gotten to see more of the kids home lives.
7. Oh, Staniel. :P
8. I don't follow, either.
9. Let's all do the eggshell walk!
10. Ohhh, hell.
Twitcher

Return to General Discussion