Re-read week 51: Second Looks 33 - Pod People 4

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 51: Second Looks 33 - Pod People 4

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Second Looks 33 34
Pod People 1 2 3 4
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 51: Second Looks 33 - Pod People 4

Postby brasca » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Even though she still isn't named this is the first formal introduction to Lisa. I don't want to beat Alice to this one, but my time is limited so I have to post my thoughts now.

I actually don't have much to say, but it's oddly jarring to have 2 strips in color and then return back to Kansas.

I also find the Rumsfeld reference dated, but that's to be expected.
brasca

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Actually, Lisa first gets her name in "Names: A Study Primer".

The "shrug like Rumsfeld" bit jars me a bit, too, not so much because Bush is long out of office, as because it just sounds awkward.

Miguel's colouring of Lisa's hair is inconsistent with the greyscale strips that follow, where it's clear that her pigtails are meant to be two different colours. I do love that smile of hers in the third panel, though. Even early "alienated punk" Lisa, whom I've been on record as disliking, was capable of warmth and compassion, and this arc is Lisa 1.0's finest moment.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby thebitterfig » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Charlotte's shirt: meant to invoke the crimson of a Cardinal, or just coincidence? I'd kind of figured her to be some sort of Calvinist. Someone might be able to fill me in on a comment from T. previously if one had been made.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby brasca » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Actually, Lisa first gets her name in "Names: A Study Primer".

Perhaps I should say fleshed out because even though she's named and was seen early in the strip we really don't know anything beyond she looks like a punk and has an iPod. This strip gives her a personality.
brasca

Postby CEOIII » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Charlotte was damaged goods from the start, wasn't she? You think about what happened later, and you realize it would've been someone tied up in that shed. Maybe Cindy, maybe not, but someone.

And the semi-official introduction on Miss "Screw Labels"! Odd that Ag would be into bagpipes. (NEVER got bagpipes. Who wants to listen to what sounds like cats being tortured?)
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:45 pm

At some point, if I remember correct (which may not be correctly at all), something was said about Lisa's hair being its natural brown rather than her later "I REQUIRE YOUR ATTENTION GIVE IT TO ME NOW" hues due to something to do with changing schools. I have to question why Lisa has bagpipes on her MP3 player if she apparently doesn't like them, though. Is this something like having Proust on your bookshelf without ever having read it? For the value of someone scrolling through her music and saying, "You like bagpipes? You are certainly weirder and more special and unique than I am!"?

So, I actually do like bagpipes. On the other hand, an ex-boyfriend of mine is now married and teaching bagpipe lessons. He was a super nice guy and I'm sure he's a great teacher, but bagpipes played by amateurs... oh boy, bullet missed.

This post brought to you by Scotland the Brave (posted by an English user... well, okay).
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Adrishiana wrote:I have to question why Lisa has bagpipes on her MP3 player if she apparently doesn't like them

I know you're just having your usual fun here, but I didn't get the impression from that strip that Lisa herself doesn't like bagpipes. The way I read it, she's playfully threatening Aggie with such music because she assumes other people don't like them. She herself may love bagpiping...er, bagpipes. :oops: I'll grant, however, that she may consider her liking them, when many other people don't, something that makes her weird and unique and special and requiring our attention.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Alice Macher wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:I have to question why Lisa has bagpipes on her MP3 player if she apparently doesn't like them

I know you're just having your usual fun here, but I didn't get the impression from that strip that Lisa herself doesn't like bagpipes. The way I read it, she's playfully threatening Aggie with such music because she assumes other people don't like them. She herself may love bagpiping...er, bagpipes. :oops: I'll grant, however, that she may consider her liking them, when many other people don't, something that makes her weird and unique and special and requiring our attention.

Or she could use it to torture people if they're being "uppity."

On a similar note my Mom likes bagpipes and I'm ambivalent, but my sister hates it so how do you think we got back at her when she needed a ride home from college for all the years of having to listen to her damn music played on family trips repeatedly? :twisted:
brasca

Postby Twitcher » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 am

1. Char's friendmaking skills hit way too close to home. So does her self-hatred.
2. People like Lisa scare the hell out of me for partly irrational reasons. The type of people who were super nice and gregarious towards me, my family, and my friends were usually that way because they'd thought they'd spotted some easy targets. It's always been really hard for me to accept that some people are truly good (most of the time).
3. So scary.
4. Lisa, you got a cousin named Jane Lane?
Twitcher

Return to General Discussion