Creative Writing

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Creative Writing

Postby Artemisia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:16 pm

In this case, use your judgement. It doesn't have to be long. I'm thinking no more than a hundred words or so. It doesn't even have to be written in a paragraph, but could be written out as notes if you want.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby mikbuster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I was actually rather worried about the banter. It's standard, but not really the way I usually think. I was looking for a good sex joke for a name, but again my mind doesn't work that way so I took a friend's suggestion to make him a cousin of Plenty's. I also worried over the details. Really should have had a clock stop at 0:00:07 though :wink:

I think I'll describe a society I already invented for a D&D world, but haven't finished, or even really started, a story for. I have notes somewhere, including gods that I've lost, but enough of it is mental and I have other notes :D
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Alice Macher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Anakites are a race of giants who inhabit the highlands of Tevel, the sixth earth (our world being the seventh). They claim descent from the Beney Elohim (the celestial beings race) who mated with primordial humans. They exist as pairs of heads, each controlling two arms and two legs, sharing a single torso. Thus, despite the once-common alternate term, "two-faces" (Du-Partzufim)--which Anakites consider highly offensive--each head (together with its associated limbs on the same side) constitutes a separate individual; all Anakites are born as identical twins. Complicating matters somewhat, each Anakite pair also shares a single set of genitalia, which means that when twins reach maturity, they must arrange things so that their partners also share the same body and so that the four of them have sex at the same time.

Roughly 50% of Anakites (male and female gender) are homosexual; they encounter no discrimination because Anakites believe the gods arranged things that way so as to prevent giants from overpopulating Tevel and depleting it of resources. (Bisexuality, in contrast, is considered a "mystery" but is accepted because it accounts for only 1% of the population and thus is not considered a threat to the natural order. What bisexual Anakites themselves make of this cultural view is unknown.)

The Anakites' form of government is anarchist-cooperative, which works reasonably well for a race that's part hunter-gatherer, part nomadic, and thus organizes itself into small clans. Given their anatomy, they recognized early on that a single-person dictatorship or monarchy (hereditary or otherwise) would be unworkable. Although violent crime between twins is virtually unheard of (for obvious reasons), alliances and conspiracies of twin pairs against other twin pairs do happen. Communal councils of elders exist to resolve such disputes, as well as other, non-criminal disputes between twins or pairs thereof. Elder councils also decide, with input from the community, whether and how to go to war as a race, be it as allies or enemies of other Tevel races.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby mikbuster » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Still feeling really down, but I've already put this off too long, so... I have trouble with names btw... (no making fun of Lilyan's name, since this character is where I first got attached to the name :P so many years ago...)

Palaheim is a neutral nation nestled in between two warring kingdoms. Knowledge is prized here, with magical knowledge being rather common from instant travel services to street lights of glowing magic. This stands in contrast to its neighbors who focus mainly on the physical with magic being rare and primarily for war applications. Palaheim is run by a council whose members are chosen based on winning yearly contests in their specialties which include every magical discipline as well as archery and melee. The various council members then have contests to determine the best combat ability. Each discipline chooses its own form of contest. Each member is assigned to border castles and given the task of running the town and protecting the area as well as being in charge of their discipline's school.

Recent news is that Lord Dracoslyn and wife have died leaving their young daughter, Lilyan, taking over as head of the school of illusion until this year's contests. The conditions of his death are rumored to involve some horrible monster escaping, though perhaps only the Lady Dracoslyn knows since the castle has been declared off limits and noone seems able to find the entrance.
mikbuster

Postby Artemisia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:03 am

I'll post mine later tonight along with a final assignment.

:)
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Ok, I'd thought I'd offer up a quick 'free write'. That is choose one of these lines and just write for a bit :)

"He opened his eyes, moved without hesitation towards a group of large boulders until he found the blood drops."

"What happened then has been variously described as a norther or a sou'wester, depending on where you were seated in the room when it struck."

"This was long after hairdressers; in truth, ever since there had been women, there had been hairdressers."

It doesn't have to be long, so a couple of days (Say Thursday?)

I hope everyone's well.
Artemisia

Postby mikbuster » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 pm

He opened his eyes, moved without hesitation towards a group of large boulders until he found the blood drops. That's when Jack realized that his head was throbbing. His hand came back sticky, and red. Not sure how he could have missed that trail where someone, probably him, had rolled through the vibrant purple flowers. Were flowers really that bright? He couldn't seem to remember, but the sky seemed to shimmer with turquoises and fuschias and brilliant silver blobs seemed to shine down at him surrounding a golden thing that seemed to be smiling at him.

While he was looking down the short hill he heard a voice behind him, "Hello my good chum. My you seem to have managed to acquire various abrasions and that laceration in your cranial region appears to be somewhat dangerous. Would you care for assistance in locating a miraculous facility dedicated to correcting such imperfections?"

He turned around quickly to look for the voice. It was a floating blue blob, but did blobs float? This one must. Why would it be floating on top of the rocks? Perhaps it was the cause of whatever had happened here? "Where am I?"

"Why, you are here. Presently present in my majestic presence atop this particular escarpment."

"That doesn't seem very helpful, but I don't seem to remember much, so where is this place you're telling me about?"

"Scale these divine boulders and thou shalt espy the thaumaturgists you seek in order to resolve your presently persistent predicament."

Jack couldn't help but think that this guy was rather annoying, but a quick climb to find a place that would help seemed worth it. At least, he thought that's what was meant, but this blob's words were sometimes difficult to follow. With a shrug, he carefully climbed up to the top, hanging onto the rocks next to the blob. In the distance he saw a building with a curious plus sign on the top. It reminded him of the dried blood on his hands, but how many people would have to be injured to create such a sign? that seemed so far away. There appeared to be a shimmering black path heading towards it, but there was a spot where it suddenly became complex with wires seeming to go everywhere. It must have something to do with that baby blue line that seemed to be trying to meet right there, but what? Oh well, that seemed like the best place to start. As he started to slowly climb down, he remembered his manners, "Thanks mister... er... I don't know what you are. Mr. Blue? Thanks for your help."

((I may have gotten carried away writing... and let my mind go to weird places... and apparently I know random words that very few people use in everyday life... also, I happened to have worked myself back up to feeling on the good side of numb, so I was in a decent mood to write :D Sorry it's so long! :lol: ))
mikbuster

Postby Artemisia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:37 pm

I need a bit of help- anyone who participated in this thread, I need some questions answered:

1) Were the prompts creative?
2) Were the prompts inspiring?
3) Did the prompts help with practicing writing?
4) Was it helpful to be encouraged to write?
5) Was the overall experience positive or negative?
Artemisia

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Artemisia wrote:I need a bit of help- anyone who participated in this thread, I need some questions answered:

1) Were the prompts creative?
2) Were the prompts inspiring?
3) Did the prompts help with practicing writing?
4) Was it helpful to be encouraged to write?
5) Was the overall experience positive or negative?

1. I'd say so.
2. Some worked for me, some didn't. That probably has as much to do with me as the prompt itself. October 14, three-option free write, that was something which I couldn't get over my own hangups with.
3. Yes. I like getting in and writing, and going off in a direction partly unplanned is a good experience.
4. In proportion to my own involvement, yes. I flaked out on a topic or two, so that clearly didn't really help that much.
5. Overall positive.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Artemisia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Thank you :)
Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:59 pm

I thought I'd bring this back, if you all are interested, and this time I'm going to post a couple of pictoral prompts:

Artemisia

Postby thebitterfig » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:32 pm

"As you can see, it's a nice neighborhood. Goes back a long time and it has old bones. A lot of the businesses here have been open for generations. This is a one-way street, and low traffic due to the cobblestones. It does make parking a bit less convenient, but, actually, do you own a car?"

"Oh, then it won't be a problem at all. I should have known you preferred your feet, since those are some impressive shoes. If you're a jogger, there's lots of nice bike paths and trails through the neighborhood. There's even a farmer's market every Tuesday and Saturday. Are you a fan of farm fresh eggs?"

"Oh, well, who needs the cholesterol, anyhow. So this is the building. Yes, it's a bit older, but that means that there was a lot more attention paid to the materials used. You won't see moldings like this in new construction. It's a walk-up, but there is a service elevator in the rear which can be used if you're moving in heavier items. Now, it's on the fourth floor--*whispers* never seen a client roll up steps in a ball, but I guess it takes all kinds. *shouts up the stairs* It's Number 5 on the left, I'll be right up."

"So as you can see, hardwood floors in here. Really, the materials are top notch. Lots of natural light from the windows, and don't worry about the paint. The floors are all original, but the paint isn't. The building owners have been quite thorough, made sure that all the lead has been removed from the building. Oh, I see you're looking at the kitchen. The counter-space isn't quite where it could be, but the previous owner had some lovely tables set up which--"

"Oh, that's the bathroom through there. Marble tile, all original. The clawfoot tub is great for soak--"

"Yes, the range is gas. Much better control than electric, don't you--"

"There is a bedroom and either an office or second bedroom down that hall--"

"SIR, WILL YOU PLEASE STOP SPRINTING EVERYWHERE! *smooths suit* It's just that I can help you make a better decision if we take things one room at a time. Ok. Good. The bathroom. I know it's currently set up only for baths and not showers, but the owner has a good relationship with some plumbers who'd be quite happy to make any changes."

"I don't see why that's important, but yes, they are brothers."

"Sir. Please stop spinning like that. It's beginning to make me nervous. They're just plumbers. I'm sure there's nothing special about them. Sir. That spinning. Please. I'm sure we can---*"

///

Sonic the Hedgehog Goes Apartment Hunting.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Alice Macher » Sun May 04, 2014 12:23 am

"Once again, I adjure thee," said Yvaine to the skull in her palm, "Answer me."

The skull said nothing, as skulls are wont to do.

"I adjure thee a third time: answer me, else I shall cast thy shade into the third hall of the Dark, where dwelleth the Ichthyshroom whose gills breathe out sal ammoniac and whose spores weep--"

"Enough, woman." White flames appeared in the skull's eye sockets.

"'Woman?' Is that how thou wouldst address me, sirrah?" Yvaine gestured with her free hand at the wands, lamps, idols and harpsichord before her in the dim chamber. "I'm an enchantress of no mean power, and by virtue of that, I am, at this moment, thy psychopomp."

"Psychopompous is more like it. Look you, my Lady: while I was yet alive, my master, Sir Rudolph, made me swear never to reveal his secrets."

Yvaine smiled and leaned forward, tapping the skull on its crown. "That may be, Tom o'Hedge. But right now thou'rt under my power, not his. Wilt thou divulge to me, in full and sans falsehood or equivocation, what I've asked thee thrice to divulge, or shall I dispatch thee to the Ichthyshroom and be done with it?"

Tom's sigh rattled between what remained of his teeth. "As I've no choice, Lady Yvaine, I'll tell you straight: Sir Rudolph's cache of naughty illuminated codices is in his attic. Third chest on the right as you go in; can't miss it."
Last edited by Alice Macher on Sun May 04, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby thebitterfig » Sun May 04, 2014 9:45 am

Codices of bodices, no doubt...
thebitterfig

Postby FlyingFish » Sun May 04, 2014 4:13 pm

"Okay, look, everyone has done Hamlet. We need to make our performance unique or no one will come."

"Makes sense."

"How about, and I'm just tossing this out here, we make Hamlet a woman."

"Hm. Okay, not many opportunities in Shakespeare for female leads; we could get a lot of quality actresses to try out."

"And we set it in late 1800s France."

"...uh, not seeing the point of--"

"And Hamlet's a burlesque dancer."

"Wait, what?"

"It'll be brilliant! The 'to be or not to be' decision recast as the call whether to 'be' with a rich client of the club!"

"...have you been binge-watching Moulin Rouge again?"

"......nooooo?"
FlyingFish

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion