Creative Writing

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Creative Writing

Postby mikbuster » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Valerie wrote:
mikbuster wrote:I kinda wonder what the varying stories we gave, with the same impetus, say about each of us. :)

Well, apparently...

I'm questioning my marriage, thebitterfig is a psychopath who wants coffee, you want a cinnamon bun, FlyingFish is already thinking of Christmas, Louisa needs to beat some guys up, Doc Harleen is angry at someone, Alice is having an affair, and Art has a thing for older ladies.

Well, that would actually be good, and I really don't know why cinnamon stood out as something to smell because I've never been in a place similar to what I was picturing but it was there... I think I went wintry, though, because I'm kind of excited to have an excuse to wear my boots, because they're cool and I haven't worn them in public yet :D Yes, I know I'm a bit weird :oops:
Notice how Arty didn't deny having a thing for older ladies? :lol: love you Arty :)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Valerie wrote:Alice is having an affair

:shock: You can't prove anything! Those hotel room charges on my credit card could be for lots of things!

(Damn it, I told Nick to keep a low profile.)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Tamar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 pm

D'aww, I forgive you, Alice. Affairs with fictional characters don't count.

Why not Lisa, though? <_<
Rebhel wrote:I happen to like Lisa BECAUSE of the way she speaks. If you don't get her, oh well... you are the one missing out.

Go ask Alice; I think she'll know.
Tamar

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Because at this point she'd have broken up with Jade but gone on to Steven.
Alice Macher

Postby Valerie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:24 am

Artemisia wrote:"the dim globes overheard lighting the way."

I think you meant "the dim globes overhead lighting the way" :p

But, as I said, it's not like I'm marking off for typos or anything- I usually can't tell if I'm writing the words correctly.

And I didn't realize you were questioning your marriage, Val *HUGS* I haven't been able to keep up with what everyone writes about their lives every day. Sometimes I'm struggling so much that I can barely manage to write what I'm supposed to.

D'oh, thank you. *fixes*

I was replying to what mikbuster said. :P I doubt thebitterfig is actually a psychopath, for example.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Artemisia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:46 am

Ah, ok, I get you now :D

Alright now for the next assignment, and I think it'll be fun. I'm not sure how this is all helping with learning to be better writers, but I love that it's definitely giving us all something to talk about and interact with :D

So, next assignment:

There's a lot of stuff in fandom out there about gender swapping. I thought it would be interesting to write a scene (no more than about a page double spaced or half a page single spaced) where you take one or two of your favorite characters and gender swap them and then write a scene about how they are fairing in the world they are from.

So, for instance, Penny and Aggie become, say, Paul and Angel. How would things have gone had they been male instead of female?

(It doesn't have to be those two, but you get the idea)

(Added- you can keep their sexuality correct to the story written for them or swap it if you want).
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm not sure if this meets what you had in mind, but it's the first place my brain went with the idea:

---

Fred's eyes shot open. They had been playing "Switch", he and Daphne had decided to demonstrate their choice, and he remembered thinking it really was a shame she wasn't a "he" as their lips met lightly... and something shifted...

...and he was kissing a slender fellow, whose eyes opened with an equally confused expression as they both pulled back sharply.

The sandy-brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail. The chin and cheeks were more squared. There was a soul patch on his chin and stubble the rest of the way around. But the eyes were still Daphne's, 100%. And the voice -- a hesitant "...Fred?" -- was a hell of a lot deeper but with all the same inflections.

The male Daphne reached out hesitantly and fingered a lock of blonde hair. Fred's hair. Which now reached down to his shoulders. He looked down. Correction. Down to HER shoulders.

Then they both looked around the room.

The group looked back, unsure what had happened. There had been this odd, brief shimmering around Winifred and Darby when the two kissed, but nothing had changed as far as anyone could see. Still, they seemed disoriented, which prompted a "hey, are you two feeling okay?" from Dana.

Winifred and Darby turned back to face each other, studying each other's faces for a few moments longer... and then they all but smashed their lips back together.

August was more shocked than anyone, but he couldn't argue with the results as the sudden couple departed the party still entangled in each other. Palmer kept glancing at August, quietly mulling over how easily a kiss could change your mind about what you wanted out of life. Saul was surprised with himself just how pleased he was with this development, and was texting Lucas as he left.

Lewis just aimed a smirk in a direction that didn't exist. Nice one, Lisa.

Hey, it's what we do.
FlyingFish

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:44 pm

So this is way too long, nearly 1200 words, 7 handwritten pages (go go fountain pen--Green Kaweco Ice Sport, M, Kaweco Green Ink), and only one of the active characters in the story is flipped... Moving on...

///

Commander Spock had not set foot on the Enterprise since shortly after Captain Christine Pike's injuries. After the incident, Spock was given leave on Vulcan, despite his insistence that it was illogical and that the most efficient use of Starfleet resources would have been for him to have remained with the ship during repairs.

Upon his return to the ship, he was informed of standing orders from the new Captain, J. V. Kirk, to proceed to the officer's mess. As he walked, Spock reviewed the Captain's service record from memory. Graduated with distinction from the Academy, although there was a somewhat vague entry as such: 'Conduct Incident: Hearing recommended that it be expunged from the record without comment.' Spock noted he would have to inquire later. His duty as first officer would require it. The Academy was followed by a fairly rapid series of promotions and official commendations for valor. A few brawls and minor security incidents interwove the record, but they did not appear to have held back the Captain. Spock arrived at and entered the mess.

"Commander Spock, chief science officer, USS Enterprise, reporting as ordered." A middle-aged man in a blue uniform--logically the new ship's doctor--rolled his eyes. Spock knew the reputation those of Vulcan descent had within the Federation. This did not bother him; it was simply a fact.

A woman in gold uniform with captain's stripes stood and addressed him. "At ease, Mister Spock. Captain Janet V. Kirk. I just wanted a chance to get to know all the senior officers a bit before taking she ship out of spacedock. We've been swapping fish stories."

Spock regarded her with a small degree of confusion and a raised eyebrow. "I'm afraid I don't have any Piscean experiences worth relating, Captain."

"Dammit, she means stories about past assignments, scrapes at the Academy and all that." The new ship's doctor. "The Captain, for example, was just wriggling her pretty little way out of telling us how she spectacularly failed the Kobayashi Maru test. Those are often good for a laugh."

Spock did not think the doctor noticed a brief glare in the Captain's eye before she replied. "Perhaps that's because I didn't fail." Kirk sipped her drink through murmurs of disbelief. Spock added to them.

"Logically, that is not possible. I was part of an official review of the exercise ten years ago. Myself, another Vulcan, two Admirals, and an Andorean engineer all concluded that there was no possible way to pass the test. Failure is, given the structure of the scenario, inevitable."

"I'm sure that's all true, but cheating isn't part of the 'structure of the scenario'." A few more murmurs. "Oh, it's not as interesting as it sounds, and I'm actually surprised no one else thought of it sooner.

"That's roughly what I told the disciplinary hearing, too. That, and that the Klingons and Romulans wouldn't hesitate to cheat. More seriously, though, I'm glad you're here, Mister Spock. You served on the Enterprise under Christine Pike so I'm sure you can explain how the…"

Ship's duties kept Commander Spock busy for the next several days; certain sensor calibrations could only be conducted during third shift when most of the Enterprise's systems could be powered down. Spock had not had the chance he'd sought to discuss the Academy and the Kobayashi Maru with the Captain. However, schedules would now permit it, and he had made an appointment with her. He proceeded to the ready room door and buzzed.

"Enter." Spock did. "I understand you wanted to see me, Mister Spock? Next time it doesn't need to be so formal. I consider it a Captain's duty to be available to her first officer."

"Understood, Captain. I will make a note of it for future reference. However, since my purpose is only indirectly related to ship's duties, I preferred to be more formal this time. I had wanted to ask you about the Kobayashi Maru exercise."

Kirk seemed disappointed. "I guess that Vulcan sense of logic needed the whole story, all the data points?"

"Not exactly, Captain. The specifics are presumably irrelevant. had either the Academy or Starfleet command felt them to be pertinent, they no doublet would have included it in the official record. Instead, I have a somewhat more philosophical question. May I proceed?"

"Spock… what was it I just said about a Captain's duty?" Kirk smirked.

With a nod, Spock began. "My understanding of the purpose of the Kobayashi Maru test was that it is intended to observe one's behavior in a scenario where there is no way to 'win,' where failure and ultimately death are inevitable. This was deemed necessary for the evaluation of leadership potential among Starfleet officers. While I do not question the decision of Starfleet command, with you having avoided that portion of the test, I am curious about your understanding of inevitable failure."

"I reject the concept of any failure being inevitable."

"That is highly illogical. Death will, eventually, claim us all. Over the shorter term, considering what happened with Captain Pike--"

Kirk cut him off. "Don't! talk to me about Christine Pike. She was my commanding officer on the Acheron, and before that she was a mentor to me at the Academy. I've had the honor of being named godmother to her and Jessica's son. Jessie always did want her wife to take an assignment back in California, but not like that." Janet Kirk paused for a breath. "I'm sorry, you served with her too.

"If I may, I'll ask you a question of logic. 'If A then B.' It's still logical even when A is false?"

"That is correct. The structure remains logical."

"I see it like that, almost. If I'm going to do my duty as Captain, for the ship and her crew, I can't ever give up. I'm going to struggle for them no matter the challenge. 'Inevitable failure' sounds too much like giving up to me.

"I'm as arrogant as any captain in the fleet--more perhaps--but I'm not that arrogant. I know death and failure happen, but I can't accept a 'no win' situation. I can't allow myself to do so. Does that satisfy your curiosity?"

"I believe it does, Captain."

"You know, Spock, I think I'm going to like having you as first officer. You've got a unique way of looking at things."

"I should hope not, Captain. Logic by it's very nature ought to be universal, and thus the opposite of unique."

"See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

"Which reminds me, do Vulcans have a taste for Romulan ale, common physiology and all? I know, I know, embargoed, but my few bottles are technically acceptable due to a loophole. We, me and a few security officers, were stranded on a disused space station with a trio of Romulan--well--pirates. I'd made the mistake of using my full name, so now I was 'Commander Vipsania' to them. Commander Vipsania this, Commander Vipsania that…"

///

Janet Vipsania Kirk is of course played by Katee Sackhoff, which would have made nuTrek at least slightly interesting. W/R/T the story, I think this might be the case where there's more going on in my head, more clear there, than actually shows up here. I'll see how others read it. Oh, and no one get too hung up on Trek details, because, um, alternate universe?
Last edited by thebitterfig on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby mikbuster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Took me longer than I expected to have time to write something. The idea I came up with is a basically original movie scene. The movie series it's based on should be somewhat obvious :wink: Obviously details before this point and after this point are left out, because I only needed enough to have an idea where the story went, and it cut off before getting to meet the assistant, but I felt it was already too long. Also I kind of dislike dialogue, so maybe it's good that this has quite a bit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

“So Ms. Bond, you still think you can stop me? You know nothing about my plans!” Her voice rang out in the large room, her anger reverberating off of the very walls.

“I know you’re planning to set off bombs to destroy cities. Then you’re going to profit off of the following war and the subsequent rebuilding.” The woman chained and hanging from the wall slowly, deliberately responded. Her tailored business suit completely out of place in the darkened torture room.

A laugh, twisted with malevolence, rang out, sounding even worse with every echo. “You know enough to be killed, but not enough to actually be a threat to my plans. You can watch your own future as your local counterpart is killed. It’s rather theatrical, but I find it, somehow amusing. Don’t worry about the mess Mr. O’Toole will cause, my servant will be in shortly to clean it up. I expect your screams to be,” she stopped at that point, pausing, savoring the word, the idea, “magnificent. Unfortunately I must go see to my plans away from pesky spies and won’t be here to enjoy them in person.” With that, a door opened to a bright light that suddenly bathed the red haired woman scattering off the long silver gown, glittering in the light like from thousands of tiny mirrors. “I do hope you won’t mind hanging around.” The left side of her lip raised at that and she hurried out, her boots softly announcing her rapid departure, before the door closed behind her.

Bond looked over to the man laying chained to a smooth steel surface. That’s when she noticed the rhythmic swinging of what appeared to be a giant axe blade, back and forth. “I don’t suppose you know where your shirt wound up?” She started to turn her head and gently hit the side on the wall.

The man stirred at that, “She said she found the blue color offensive. I always thought it went well with these pants, but I don’t suppose there’s accounting for taste. Max is the name, and do you mind if I ask why you’re doing that?”

“The name’s Bond, Jinny Bond. This? This is just a piece of jewelry that a certain friend gave me to keep me safe.” She kept making repeated gestures with her left hand as the earring folded out, stretching towards the lock at the near hand. “Just a minute here, and…” with a click her hand was free and she grabbed the end of the lockpick and proceeded to unlock the other locks and drop to the ground. “I always knew I was good with my hands. Now, would you like a hand? Jobs like this can be dangerous without preparation.”

She stood up, brushing herself off, calmly walking toward the man and the ever lowering blade meant to spell his doom. As she reached down to free him she quipped, “Penetration like that could leave you a cut above the rest.”

“Seriously Ms. Bond, I think the blade is quite enough. If you’ll free me, we have to prepare for Mr. Green’s arrival.”

“Very well.” She quickly undid the restraints, pulling him off to the side as the blade cut inches above his head. “Apparently she thinks you should only be half a man.”

“I would have thought tools like that would be fit into a watch or something. Something a bit more versatile.”

“Actually my watch was the first thing she took from me. I’ll have to see if I can get the old lady to reimburse me for that.”
-----------------------------------------

So, I definitely like the Star Trek one. The captain is somewhat different, but also appropriate. Also thought the other one was an interesting interpretation. Mine? I tried to write it as something that would be interesting, make a good movie, and still poke fun at certain common tropes of such movies.
mikbuster

Postby thebitterfig » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Max O'Toole. Brilliant.

As to Janet Vipsania Kirk, some of it is that I probably couldn't write a super-compelling guy-Kirk. I'm familiar with TOS and the movies, but not as deep in as many. My understanding of James T. is as a fairly charming rogue, perhaps rake ("I'm from Iowa. I just work in outer space."), a bit of a gambler and risk taker, but also a steely tactician when it comes down to it. That and a ceaseless devotion to crew and ship. I see Janet V. as mostly the same way, except there's still testosterone in the 23rd century. In a bit of a paean to Janeway--who always seemed to adopt a demeanor of extra stiffness in command, more than she might otherwise--Janet V. dials it back a bit. She wants to brag about how awesome it was to cheat the Kobayashi Maru test, but doesn't always feel it's worth it. Spock, the logical Vulcan, isn't necessarily impressed, but because of logic. That's why she likes him. She could cut loose, not feel like she's got to keep one step ahead of the room, since he completely doesn't care. Meanwhile, I wouldn't think Bones McCoy and a somewhat brash, upstart female captain would become the best of friends. In total, she's probably at least a bit unreal and trope-ified of a character. I'm tempted to defend it on the excuse that Star Trek was quite camp, but I also know I (or another) could do better and more original and real.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Artemisia » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm sorry if things have been a bit lagging. Things for me have been difficult. I wanted to add this to what I've written. I'll read through everyone's tomorrow and make comments and such.

------------------------------------------

The Doctor looked at the scope. The TARDIS had set down in the one place he had wanted to bring River for the last time he could ever see her, at least in person. Out there, the red grass of Gallifrey blew gently in the breeze. This was long before the Time Lords had arisen. Long before the proximity of the Vortex had changed the people here into those who surfed the space-time continuum.

There were a handful of Gallifreyans out there. Not quite close by, but close enough to make the Doctor a little wary.

“So, where exactly are you taking me this time?” River said from the corner of the TARDIS control room. Of course, she was a lot younger than the Doctor, and a lot sooner in his timeline too. Of course, the face he had on now was very different from the one he had first met her with. But that had been, what? Two regenerations ago?

The Doctor swallowed hard at that memory. He flipped the switch that made sure that TARDIS remained cloaked.

“Today, my dear, we’ll be stepping out onto the one place I’ve always wanted to show you, and it has taken me all this time to finally figure out how to do it!” the Doctor said, a little bit of a smile in his voice. He moved towards the door to the TARDIS.

“Now, shall we?” the Doctor said, opening the doors to the TARDIS with a flourish. Two arrows flew through the door and slammed into the Doctor’s chest. The Doctor fell backwards onto the stairs leading down into the control hub.

River did not say anything, but rushed to the Doctor as the doors to the TARDIS closed of their own accord. The central pillar began to engage and the TARDIS dematerialized. “Hold still,” River said, quietly. “Don’t move.” She pulled out a small scanner and checked the Doctor. The first arrow had sliced through one of his hearts, the second took out the aorta. The Doctor was dead.

The Doctor coughed a little and smiled. He did not dare say what was going through his mind at that point. He thought of the event all those years ago when River had saved his life only to die in his place. Now she got to see him die, but for him, death was not the end.

River pulled the Doctor down onto the floor of the TARDIS control room. “Help me stand,” the Doctor said. He always preferred to stand to regenerate. River helped him up and leaned him against one of the pillars. The golden glow of temporal energy began to swirl around him, and River backed away.

The temporal energy took hold, and the Doctor felt its embrace. He felt the energy surge through him. The Doctor’s old features melted away. His old, distinguished face and grey-black hair melded into a very young face with pale-blonde- near white- hair. The hair itself was long, and the face young. And short.

The last of the temporal energies swirled away and the Doctor started assessing. “Alright, how do I look. I’ve got hair. Hair is definitely good. Odd voice though. Um, nose. That’s good. Eyes, two eyes. Ears. Nice to not have a lot of chin.” The Doctor ran slender fingers down his neck only to realize there was no Adam’s Apple. He patted his chest and stopped. By this point, River was laughing so hard she had tears trickling out of her eyes.

“I’m a-a-a-woman?!”

The Doctor took a step and tripped over her old shoes. Muttering a curse, she quickly kicked off the shoes and unbuckled the pants. At least her old shirt was long enough to cover her body. Of course, she was with River, so it wasn’t as if archaeologist hadn’t seen it all before. Just not in that configuration.

The Doctor realized, standing up, that she was also, for the first time that she could ever remember, shorter than River. In fact, She was about half a head shorter than River, who had finally stopped laughing uncontrollably.

The Doctor tried hard to fix River with a stern look before turning towards the door to the giant TARDIS wardrobe. She wondered if she actually had anything to wear in there. She cringed inwardly at the idea of wearing something that Victoria had worn all those centuries ago. Maybe something practical like Sarah Jane? Or maybe something more cute like Clara use to wear. A brief flash of thought went through her mind about Rose. How would she have reacted to this. Or Amy for that matter. Or Susan.

The Doctor smiled as she entered the wardrobe, though. The TARDIS ... no matter how many women came through the TARDIS door, it always felt as if the TARDIS was her one and only true love. Even River could never quite match the place that the Doctor had in her hearts for the ship.

Laid out were a selection of different clothes. She had forgotten how much of Romana’s wardrobe was left after the other Time Lord had left to pursue her own life.

She walked over to the clothes and began to pick them out. A pale purple silk long sleeve shirt, a pair of violet slacks, flat shoes and a nice, rose jacket.

“Looks better than some of your past outfits,” River said. The Doctor turned around to look at her. “Womanhood seems to have helped with your dress sense at least.” River was smiling.

It took a moment for the memories to finally catch up. She realized just how hard it was going to be a woman. How many planets there were that would never allow her to speak or say anything. How hard it had been for her Companions over the years.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
Artemisia

Postby mikbuster » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 pm

So why switch the good captain's middle name that much? I realize Tiberius doesn't fit very well for a woman, but I guess I don't get the reference and haven't bothered to check it yet :oops:
mikbuster

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:13 pm

mikbuster wrote:So why switch the good captain's middle name that much? I realize Tiberius doesn't fit very well for a woman, but I guess I don't get the reference and haven't bothered to check it yet :oops:

Vipsania was Tiberius' first wife. Plus, Janet T. doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Plus, before you do the reveal, it's Captain J. V. Kirk so you know something is up, but you don't know what. As to Janet, I wanted a name which could be shortened. James -> Jim, so Janet -> Jan.
thebitterfig

Postby Artemisia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Well, first of all, I hope everyone enjoyed my Doctor Who story.

FlyingFish- I think you had a great start to a story there, but I got confused because I wasn't sure of the setting or the structure.

TheBitterFig- wow. I liked that. I think you are right that it would have been incredibly interesting if they had gender flipped one of the characters in the newer Trek (or even Kirk). Your story had all the right nuances. I loved it.

Mikbuster- LOL. Are you sure you don't want to take up writing. While a bit lacking in details that would have helped to create a much more solid picture of the scene, I felt like your puns were spot on- especially for the way that Flemming use to write.

------------------

So, this next assignment isn't actually about writing specifically. Rather, it's about thinking about writing. One of the hardest things for a writer to do is to create a world and a culture of their own. So, I would like to see people take a classic Fantasy race- Humans, Dwarfs, Elfs, Succubi, Centaurs, etc and create a culture based around them. Describe what their cultural structure is- like what kind of government do they have, what kind of sexes do they have, are they matriarchal, patriarchal, etc.

Basically, create your version of a race of your choice.
Artemisia

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Artemisia: How many words, roughly?
Alice Macher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion