Creative Writing

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Creative Writing

Postby Artemisia » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:34 am

Hi everyone :)

A while ago, I said something about setting up a teaching practicum on here for everyone to participate in. Well, it's time I get this thing rolling, right?

So, I was thinking I'd post my ideas on, say, Saturday, and I'd love to see if we can get the assignments up by Wednesday or Saturday so we can start discussing them :)

These aren't going to be huge assignments. I don't want to burden anyone.

I thought I'd start with something that has always fascinated me:

So, I thought the first assignment would be to close your eyes and describe, in detail, in a single paragraph this scene-

A couple walking down the street holding hands.

Sound like an interesting start?
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Re: Creative Writing

Postby Valerie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Um, I'll take a crack at it...

Artemisia wrote:So, I thought the first assignment would be to close your eyes and describe, in detail, in a single paragraph this scene-

A couple walking down the street holding hands.

The two of them walked along the middle of the street, the dim globes overhead lighting the way. It was a warm summer night that would have been nice, but the lack of a breeze made it seem unnatural and a little uncomfortable. The girl pushed her light hair behind her shoulder and peeked up at her partner through the corner of her eyes, trying to think of what to say. Their hands were clasped together in that soft, calm way that they had been so many times before, but something felt different-- missing-- and she couldn't quite place it. Were they supposed to be talking? Maybe that was why they were here.
Last edited by Valerie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby thebitterfig » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm

A couple walking down the street, holding hands. They aren't particularly well-dressed. Old pants, beat up sneakers, wool-ish sweaters from maybe a closeout sale. It isn't really all that cold yet, but why not be cozy? Hair's a bit messed, but this is a Saturday morning before breakfast. Why shouldn't they have lazy hair--which very often doesn't look all that bad. Today it doesn't, not to me. I'm positively jealous. Nothing extraordinary, two people, mildly bundled on a mild day, getting coffee on a walk.

Simple. Beautiful.

That'll be me someday.

/Storymode. A stray thought was that the couple are holding baskets full of hands.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Valerie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:54 pm

thebitterfig wrote:/Storymode. A stray thought was that the couple are holding baskets full of hands.

:D Yes. I like where this is going.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Artemisia » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 pm

I like what both of you wrote :)

I have to be honest, I've been very scared about starting this.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
Artemisia

Postby mikbuster » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 pm

We were walking down the street, holding hands. The fading sun glistened on the frost covered snow while cinnamon wafted through the air from the bakery we passed by. That's when he picked his moment, stopping me as he pulled something out of his pocket. Then he knelt down and asked the question that changed our lives forever.

Umm... I kinda saw this scene and it made more sense than any others in my head. Kinda not all here tonight in a way. Incidentally, I love the idea of the baskets of hands :) :wink:
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby FlyingFish » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 am

The two strolled down the sidewalk, fingers linked, leaning against each other for a bit of warmth. One would occasionally pause to look in a window and smile longingly at something; they couldn't afford any of it, of course, and both of them knew it, but the other would pause and smile as well, and indulge the moment. It was, after all, "the season", with lights out over store fronts -- some shining already, some just now flickering on, and others still off, depending on whether the store owner thought it was dusk yet. It was a good time of year to wish for what they could not have, and appreciate what they could and did. They squeezed each other's hands and walked on.
FlyingFish

Postby Louisa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Nobody meets their eyes as they walk down the street. Some people look away. Others stare, but never at their faces. A pack of drunk young men leer as they pass by. It's a hot night, and the blonde one is wearing a short skirt, and that's all the invitation they men need to call out to her as she passes by. She tightens her grip on her partner's hand and keeps walking.
The redhead is slightly less conventionally attractive, her clothes slightly less revealing, but she gets her share of the catcalls too. One man approaches her, stands in her path. "Hey baby, do you and your girlfriend want to come back to my place?" She ignores the comment, sidestepping out of his way.
"I'll show you a good time!" he calls at their retreating backs. It's the third such offer the pair have received tonight. "I bet you'd love a bit of this!"
"Don't react," the blonde girl whispers. "Don't give him the satisfaction." She squeezes tighter still. They're not so much holding hands now as clinging onto each other for desperately, all their hopes and fears encapsulated in the clutch of fingers to palm. But you'd have to be looking closely to see it, or to notice the tears in the redhead's eyes. And nobody looks at those parts of their bodies.
Hands linked, the two women walk on.

...I may have strayed off-brief a little; this was not a single paragraph. Sorry. My brain apparently wanted to write it.
Louisa

Postby Doc Harleen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm

A quickie contribution, probably not any good, but thought I'd give it a go. Admittedly, I went in something of a different direction. So, I don't know, but mild trigger warning? Just in case.

She grasped his hand tightly as they left the restaurant, the streetlights bathing them in their hazy yellow glow. He held it back, squeezing gently, in order to disguise the fact that his was shaking slightly. He nervously glanced at her. She didn’t look any less displeased than she had in the restaurant, her eyes still cold, set straight ahead on their path, her mouth a menacing hard line. He attempted to stroke her fingers with his thumb, a tender gesture intended to mollify. She responded only by curling her fingers and digging her long, well-manicured nails firmly into the palm of his hand, her jaw clenching as she did. He bit the inside of his cheek to prevent himself from reacting. He loved her. He did. He wanted this walk to last as long as possible… but mainly, if he was honest with himself for a rare moment, because he dreaded what could happen when they got home.
Doc Harleen

Postby mikbuster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 pm

I kinda wonder what the varying stories we gave, with the same impetus, say about each of us. :)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Doreen walked in step with Geoffrey as they took in the musky late-summer air. The sunlight cast a dappled pattern through the still-leafy trees that lined both sides of Deer Park Road, and she smiled. It was only their second date, but he felt as comfortable and familiar as her favourite pair of soft foam slippers, yet as stimulating as a skinny-dip in the clear pond she still remembered from her childhood on the farm. Now Geoffrey took her hand, and she relaxed into his warm, confident grip. How to convey, this early on, what he meant to her? She stroked his hand, letting her thumb glide across each finger with its individual texture. It was then that Doreen felt what her mind hadn't let her see. His fourth finger was ringed.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Artemisia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:41 am

Wow. . .just wow.

Here's mine:

The wind caught a couple of the leaves as they fell from the dozing trees. High upon the hill, the towering shape of the abandoned church loomed a bit through the already naked branches of the maples. Amanda flinched as the wheel of the stroller caught on the cracked and uneven pavement, but little Clara did not seem to wake up. She passed a white picket fence with paint peeling off of it. She quickly pushed a stray lock of blonde hair back behind her ear. The daycare center had seen better days, but that was not their destination. The leaves rattled against the pavement again as the wind caught them and pushed them along. Amanda's heart nearly stopped when she saw the figure in the brown, tweed jacket at the corner before the person turned and she saw a familiar face. Zoe stood there, her intricately braided black hair hidden by the hat. There was grey on her temples, but it never worried Amanda that her love was a decade older. She loved the wrinkles that creased her dark skin around the eyes. Amanda reached Zoe, who quickly kissed her cheek before laying her hand over Amanda's. The two turned to cross the street and head for home.

:D

I have to say that I was amazed by everyone's writing.

Valerie- Other than a few typos, I thought your piece was very sweet in a slightly bitter way. I wonder how things would end up for them in the long run.

Thebitterfig- I giggled at the idea of a basket full of hands. That sounds like the wonderful start for a story.

Mikbuster- :) that was very sweet.

Flyingfish- That was wonderful, and a great message for the holiday season.

Louisa- it's ok that you strayed a bit. Your story made me want to cry and to hug you.

Doc Harleen- Wow. . .I liked the idea of going emotional.

Alice- :) I loved how you personalized it with names for each.

I'll post another little writing assignment tonight. Thank you all for joining in :D
Artemisia

Postby Valerie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:44 pm

mikbuster wrote:I kinda wonder what the varying stories we gave, with the same impetus, say about each of us. :)

Well, apparently...

I'm questioning my marriage, thebitterfig is a psychopath who wants coffee, you want a cinnamon bun, FlyingFish is already thinking of Christmas, Louisa needs to beat some guys up, Doc Harleen is angry at someone, Alice is having an affair, and Art has a thing for older ladies.

Did I miss anybody? :P

Art: Did I make any typos...? I can't find them. D:

As usual.

Valerie

Postby Artemisia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:49 pm

"the dim globes overheard lighting the way."

I think you meant "the dim globes overhead lighting the way" :p

But, as I said, it's not like I'm marking off for typos or anything- I usually can't tell if I'm writing the words correctly.

And I didn't realize you were questioning your marriage, Val *HUGS* I haven't been able to keep up with what everyone writes about their lives every day. Sometimes I'm struggling so much that I can barely manage to write what I'm supposed to.
Artemisia

Postby Louisa » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Artemisia wrote:Louisa- it's ok that you strayed a bit. Your story made me want to cry and to hug you.

D'aww; thanks for the sentiment (and I always accept virtual hugs). Reassurance time: I'm okay. Also, Val, I'm not about to beat anyone up. The story was kind-of spurred by a couple of things that have happened to me, but they weren't too bad and they took place years ago.
Louisa

Next

Return to General Discussion