Re-read week 37: Celebrity Poker Showdown 17 - 24

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 37: Celebrity Poker Showdown 17 - 24

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Celebrity Poker Showdown 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 37: Celebrity Poker Showdown 17 - 24

Postby brasca » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:31 pm

I find 22 notable. You can see the beginning of the Injustice Gang as well as Penny's clique although I find it weird that Helen and not Sara or Brandi is with Penny's gang when it's been established that she's been estranged for some time while the people with Karen includes Dirk who never really had anything to do with her clique. I suppose not everything was set in stone just yet.
brasca

Postby CEOIII » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:31 am

The lines get drawn, Ag's little crush, Rich's boys acting dumb......the interesting shit is coming.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Interesting that, not only is Karen counting Helen as part of Penny's clique, that Helen is there (though from a reader perspective, it looks more like "hanger-on" than "really present") and apparently not displeased about that.

Also I think at 16 even with a relatively long-term boyfriend talk of "mating for life" would kinda freak me out.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Adrishiana wrote:Also I think at 16 even with a relatively long-term boyfriend talk of "mating for life" would kinda freak me out.

I as well. But it depends on the teenager. It's not uncommon for teens at 16 to imagine (even if only in fantasy) that the one they're in love with now will be their one and only partner throughout life. Boys as well as girls.

Now if Marshall had said to Karen, "Let's elope RIGHT NOW," I could see even her freaking out, because, while not entirely unheard of, in their present cultural setting it's somewhat outside the realm of "typical" behaviour at their stage of life.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Twitcher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 am

17. Aggie's not bi. We're sure of that. Yeah, we're so sure.
18. I honestly don't know how Aggie could be this clueless. And yes, maybe this is an indication of Marshall's attempt to be the perfect man, but he sounds less like a fifteen year old giving another fifteen year old an idealistically romantic gift and more like a 45 year old courting his similiarly aged affianced, and preparing for what will soon be their joint second marriage.
19. 70's greaser punks. And Stan.
20. So kick her out.
21. I need to know Samantha's motivation here. If she believes that Penny insulted Duane, why the hell hasn't she attempted to contact Duane? It doesn't make sense for her to bring the complaint to Karen first.
22. Why isn't Sara with Penny? Why is Katy Ann with Penny? Why is Helen with Penny, and seeming to feel comfortable to boot? Why is Penny with Helen, and seeming to feel comfortable to boot?
23. I like the fact that Katy-Ann and Charlotte seem to be exchanging looks that say, "Oh my G-d! They're worse than us!"
24. "I just came here to say that my act of charity towards you gives me power and authority over you. You also owe me fealty. For life. That's how religion's supposed to work, right, Katy Ann? Katy Ann? Where are you going?"
Twitcher

Postby Trefle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:25 pm

I'd really love to see Stan and Marshall interacting more-- but I guess their world is just too different. :|

Also shit is about to get doooown, everyone!
Trefle

Return to General Discussion