Re-read week 36: Celebrity Poker Showdown 9 - 16

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 36: Celebrity Poker Showdown 9 - 16

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Celebrity Poker Showdown 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 36: Celebrity Poker Showdown 9 - 16

Postby Twitcher » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:24 pm

1. Okay, is Katy Ann here because she doesn't have many friends? Does she hope to be a positive influence on these guys? Where's the common ground?
2. Is this just where Karen became body conscious or did something else happen? Where's Yvonne? Shouldn't she be here?
3. Okay, why didn't he tell her "no" if he was uncomfortable? Where exactly did Karen pick up her people skills, reruns of Melrose Place?
4. Another reason I think people dislike Marshall: He's completely oblivious to Karen's motives even when he sees them himself. MARSHALL: Karen's really concerned with sex and surface image! Given what I've seen and heard from Karen herself about her image issues, that's not worrisome at all! It's not like you need to know how to read people to become a good doctor!
5. So did she lie to him?
6. Why is it when I see Marshall, my metabolism reverses?
7. This is why I'm a wallflower.
8. And she thinks he'll believe her... because love?
Twitcher

Postby oddtail » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:43 am

The penultimate strip - I honestly don't get why Karen would be such a bitch here. I can see her hating Penny (it's not rational, but it makes sense), but Aggie is not a social threat to her. At all. Why assert her dominance? It's like bragging "I can run faster than a ten-year-old".

The last strip - I don't hate Marshall as much as many forum-ers do, but what he says implies two things (even if his very optimistic interpretation of Karen's intention WAS true):

1) If Karen thinks anyone can remake themselves and her remark is somehow connected to this, she thinks Aggie SHOULD remake herself;
2) Marshall doesn't comment on that, and actually uses that to defend Karen, so either he agrees with Karen, or he thinks Karen thinking Aggie is lame is understandable and/or justified.

Now, if he said "She remade her own image, all by herself. Now she thinks anyone else should do the same" (emphasis mine), it would be a good defense of what Karen said ("oh, that wacky Karen, she is a bit short-sighted and is a little too excited about how she changed herself and she thinks anyone else would benefit from the same!" - it would paint Karen as somewhat shallow, but well-meaning). With just one word changed. Saying what he does, Marshall just confirms that Karen is a bitch even when her actions are interpreted rather... charitably. He is just calling her a different kind of bitch than she really is being. And he doesn't even notice!
oddtail

Postby Lia S » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:46 am

13/230: Heh, “TC” on the scrabble board. And Jack going straight for the alcohol, of course.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Trefle » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:04 am

Karen, oh Karen. You didn't get satisfied with dropping-- you're freefalling without parachute.
Trefle

Postby CEOIII » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:29 am

10 almost hurts to read. "That fat, shy person is DEAD. NOW things change. NOW they pay.

All of them."
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Return to General Discussion