Re-read week 34: Hate 5 - Omega Sisters 6

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 34: Hate 5 - Omega Sisters 6

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun May 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Hate 5 6
Omega Sisters 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 34: Hate 5 - Omega Sisters 6

Postby CEOIII » Sun May 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Hate: I'm reminded of Get Smart. "If she only used her powers for good instead of evil".

Omega Sisters: And here's where I came into P&A. And almost immediately bailed because SOME OF YOU were dicks about Randy's art.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby brasca » Sun May 26, 2013 10:07 pm

CEOIII wrote:Hate: I'm reminded of Get Smart. "If she only used her powers for good instead of evil".

Omega Sisters: And here's where I came into P&A. And almost immediately bailed because SOME OF YOU were dicks about Randy's art.

The timing is just too uncanny. I just got back from Comicon 2013 where I got to meet the great Randy Milholland. Of course last year was where I really got the background on Helen that I longed to hear and in many ways she more Milholland's creature than T Campbell's.

I came into P&A not too far into the Popsicle War arc so I had to catch up on everything in a hurry especially when I took on the roll of defending Helen. She's not the easiest person to defend, but I did it because so many of the negative comments had the same mean tone as a lot of what I faced in high school. I don't know what more I can write about other than I'm a sucker for the hardluck cases.

Omega Sisters is the first chapter to flesh out some people we saw, but didn't have any names or personalities. After this Charlotte's fundamentalism and Tharqa's vindictive nature would be further expanded, but this is where it begins.

I don't know if I'm alone on this, but movie references and dated technology briefly take me out of the story.
brasca

Postby Alice Macher » Sun May 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Rereading "Omega Sisters," my first reaction is, who the hell names their kid "Robespierre?" Someone nostalgic for the French Reign of Terror?

My second reaction is that Dirk reminds me of DaSolution. (Those who get it will get it; I'm not going to link to that hatefic yet again.)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Rereading "Omega Sisters," my first reaction is, who the hell names their kid "Robespierre?" Someone nostalgic for the French Reign of Terror?

My second reaction is that Dirk reminds me of DaSolution. (Those who get it will get it; I'm not going to link to that hatefic yet again.)

I forgot about Robespierre because I was too busy thinking that his friend Dirk is the same Dirk Penny shot down. I don't think so since the former was on the scrabble team and the latter has dreadlocks and comes off as a street poser that wouldn't have time for word games.
brasca

Postby CEOIII » Sun May 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Rereading "Omega Sisters," my first reaction is, who the hell names their kid "Robespierre?" Someone nostalgic for the French Reign of Terror?

Not gonna ask for the link, just curious: P&A hatefic or Jersey Shore hatefic? (Never got hatefic. You dislike it so much you're going to write a story about it?)
CEOIII

Postby Alice Macher » Sun May 26, 2013 10:45 pm

P&A hatefic, posted about two years ago. Some troll's fantasy about being a gangsta who kills the entire webcomic cast (except Samantha) with his bat, then finishes off by shooting T.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby CEOIII » Sun May 26, 2013 10:50 pm

Alice Macher wrote:P&A hatefic, posted about two years ago. Some troll's fantasy about being a gangsta who kills the entire webcomic cast (except Samantha) with his bat, then finishes off by shooting T.

Well, that sounds.......

*pops open a bottle of JD; drains half of it* I knew I didn't really want to know.

And yet, I'm curious as to why this tool spared Samantha.
CEOIII

Postby Twitcher » Mon May 27, 2013 12:04 am

1. Future irony, considering her run for class president?
2. Okay, shaming people into helping others never really works. All it does is breed a fantastic amount of resentment in the long run. E.G., The popsicle wars.
3. From Junior High to High School, this was my life.
4. Our Charlotte was my sister, who spent her afternoons being bullied relentlessly, her evenings beating the crap out of me, and her nights quietly crying. Our Tharqa was ex-friend, who spent her time surreptitiously cheating off my sister without Sis's knowledge, and generally vacillating from bright and sunny to stormy and bitter, depending on how seriously her dad was taking the mantra "One day at a time." And me? I was the suck-up of all suck-ups.
5. My parents tried hard to understand what the hell got a hold of us during those years. For me, it was my mother drifting away from us. She had once had a nebulous "plan" to "have us emancipated" at age fifteen, once we had recovered from the operations which she believed would "cure" us of our physical disabilities. As it was, we weren't cured, and it was silly to expect us to be so. Mom kept finding excuses to donate my adaptive equipment, and spent a lot of her time caring for a woman with a TBI. Sis and I didn't have the best grasp of psychology, but we both knew what Mom was doing and why she was doing it, even though Mom didn't quite know herself (We saw the inevitable coming, too: Mom's friend eventually begged Mom to be her new guardian, and Mom couldn't understand where her friend had gotten the idea.) For sis, it was the bullying, plus the slow realization that her good grades gave her less of an edge than she thought. What made Mom and Dad nervous was that we weren't experimenting with drugs... or dating.
6. I hate Clint Eastwood. Google Million Dollar Baby to know why!
7. Fun fact: My family told me that it was absolutely imperative that I attend something. I spent the past year or so agonizing over it. Of course, the only reason I needed to be there was it would make them look good. I don't like to be used.
8. Aren't Toxic Friendships fun?
Twitcher

Postby retrophrenologist » Mon May 27, 2013 12:45 am

Twitcher wrote:5. My parents tried hard to understand what the hell got a hold of us during those years. For me, it was my mother drifting away from us. She had once had a nebulous "plan" to "have us emancipated" at age fifteen, once we had recovered from the operations which she believed would "cure" us of our physical disabilities. As it was, we weren't cured, and it was silly to expect us to be so. Mom kept finding excuses to donate my adaptive equipment, and spent a lot of her time caring for a woman with a TBI. Sis and I didn't have the best grasp of psychology, but we both knew what Mom was doing and why she was doing it, even though Mom didn't quite know herself (We saw the inevitable coming, too: Mom's friend eventually begged Mom to be her new guardian, and Mom couldn't understand where her friend had gotten the idea.) For sis, it was the bullying, plus the slow realization that her good grades gave her less of an edge than she thought. What made Mom and Dad nervous was that we weren't experimenting with drugs... or dating.

What's a TBI?
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Twitcher » Mon May 27, 2013 2:36 am

Traumatic Brain Injury.
Twitcher

Postby Lia S » Mon May 27, 2013 3:54 am

CEOIII wrote:And yet, I'm curious as to why this tool spared Samantha.

In that hatefic, Samantha was the one who asked him to kill everyone who wasn’t the purest kind of black and straight. Or something like that, I’m not going to re-read beyond the first few lines.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Tamar » Mon May 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Because it's been a while since the strip ran, it bears mentioning that Dirk pops up again, classy as ever, in this S*P strip from 2010.
Rebhel wrote:I happen to like Lisa BECAUSE of the way she speaks. If you don't get her, oh well... you are the one missing out.

Go ask Alice; I think she'll know.
Tamar

Postby Adrishiana » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

I hope after Helen moved to Boston she got lots and lots of therapy.

For the most part, I was sympathetic to her, but I wasn't really ever able to bring myself to like her. (On the bright side, whether or not she got therapy, in the coda she seemed to be in an overall better place, so at least there's that!)

Randy did a good job setting them apart by their clothing - Helen's clothing is sometimes a bit on the young side (possibly because she probably doesn't get a great deal of clothing money and has to make what she has last?), I think, while Charlotte's is, well, Charlotte's. (Depending on her area, Tharqa may not have a great deal of clothing options, particularly if she also doesn't have a lot of money to spend - a complaint I've heard a lot of is that once you get above a certain size, your choices get pretty limited.) On the other hand, Helen may well wear what she does because, holy crap, she likes it, which some of her peers would also probably find odd and undesirable.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Twitcher » Tue May 28, 2013 5:27 pm

On hatefic: Why write hatefic when you could write a fixfic instead? (Of course, some fixfics are just poorly disguised hatefics) If you're a fan of something, or you can see the seeds of something good in a bad idea, shouldn't you try to reconstruct what made you a fan of it in the first place? Isn't that why we have nu-trek, nu-who, TF2 (Quake fanfic) Bioshock (System Shock 2 fanfic) Portal (System Shock 2 fanfic) Batman Beyond/Return of the Joker (DKR fanfiction) Teen Titans Terra arc (Judas Contract fanfiction) Marvel/DCU retcons...
Twitcher

Next

Return to General Discussion