I might have an interview...

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

I might have an interview...

Postby Valerie » Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

...if this guy ever calls me back. o_o

There's a new restaurant opening in the space that my old restaurant used to occupy (the one that shut down back in November), so I put in an application there for a supervisor position.

I got a call from him to schedule a interview, but he was sick that day, so now I'm waiting to hear from him.

BUT ANYWAY.

NERVES. EVERYWHERE.

I've reviewed my food safety handbook (I'm certified, y'know :mrgreen: ), and I'm feeling pretty okay about any supervisory-type questions (I think?), but I'm not really sure how to address my reasons for leaving the last restaurant.

On the application, where it said, "Reason for leaving," I wrote, "willing to discuss in interview." But now I have to figure out how to talk about this tactfully. I'm obviously not just whining about my old boss-- he did some blatantly illegal* and dangerous things**-- but how do I bring that up in an interview? I'm pretty sure he'll ask.

Aside from that... I think I've got a basic feel for the atmosphere of the restaurant (a fairly casual place, steaks/burgers/seafood, that sort of thing), so I think I'm good?

Any advice? D:

--

*Not giving people their breaks, asked people without driver's licenses to move the van (instead of staying to do it himself), asking people who were clocked out to do work-related things, sexual harrassment issues, etc.

**PEOPLE WITHOUT DRIVER'S LICENSES SHOULDN'T OPERATE AUTOMOBILES.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Re: I might have an interview...

Postby Lia S » Thu May 16, 2013 11:55 am

You could say your old boss did some things that in your opinion were illegal and/or dangerous and/or just wrong, and that you don’t feel it’s your place to complain about those to anyone else than your old boss.

You may be asked to explain, and there’s nothing that can be done about that because you wrote “willing to discuss in interview”. Just keep it concise and factual. You can’t pretend things didn’t happen, but you can keep emotion out of it. Without emotion or going on and on about it, it’s not complaining.

How do you bring it up? You don’t. As you said, he’ll probably ask, and if he doesn’t ask, then you don’t tell.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby oddtail » Fri May 17, 2013 2:26 am

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

As for discussing your reasons for leaving, just keep it as short and as neutral as possible. Make it clear that you're talking about facts, but don't dwell on the details. You should be fine.
oddtail

Postby Valerie » Wed May 22, 2013 7:39 pm

omghecalledinterviewistomorrowmorning o_o

WHAT DO I DO
HOW DO I BE AWESOME AT THIS INTERVIEW

it'sforafulltimemanagerpositionomg

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby thebitterfig » Wed May 22, 2013 8:04 pm

How do you be awesome? I dunno. Do the same things you do every day you post here.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Valerie » Wed May 22, 2013 8:42 pm

I don't know if my (potential) new boss would appreciate it if I just started ranting about patriarchy during the interview. :P

As usual.

Valerie

Postby mikbuster » Wed May 22, 2013 11:17 pm

honesty, confidence, calm?
have heard that to increase confidence just taking a power position (spread out, think almost any position considered masculine, taking up lots of space) helps
confidence helps, I've heard :)
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Lia S » Thu May 23, 2013 6:17 am

Valerie wrote:I don't know if my (potential) new boss would appreciate it if I just started ranting about patriarchy during the interview. :P

You would be explaining why the job shouldn’t be given to someone from the other half of the population :mrgreen: .

But seriously, if the job is good they’ll want someone who acts professional, not someone who causes drama that ruins the business (you know how that works and left because it was incompatible with your professional ethics!). You know how to be a pro, so you can be calm about doing that part right. Professional + calm + motivated to do the job well = awesome.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Lia S

Postby Trefle » Thu May 23, 2013 10:26 pm

OMG Val. Be awesome! And good luck >_<
Trefle

Postby Valerie » Fri May 24, 2013 9:02 am

As I told you all, he called me and told me it was a manager position, full-time.

So I get there and he asks if I would like to start as a server and see if I can progress from there.

And I accepted because fuck I hate being so poor. Otherwise I would've told him off. And I should have.

Just to be clear, he didn't ask me anything. He asked "So, you were a manager at [restaurant]?" and then he asked about the person who was a manager at the closed store. He also asked how long I was with them, and why the closed-down store closed. That was seriously it. That was all he asked about. So it's not like he deduced that I lacked the proper skills or anything like that.

So either he lied to me to get me to come in the door, or he changed his mind when he saw me. Because I'm young, I guess. And I look younger than I actually am, so that doesn't help.

As usual.

Valerie

Postby Lia S » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 am

I think you should ask him what time frame he has in mind for seeing if you can progress from being a server. If he lied, he won’t give a real answer to that and then you’ll know to spend your effort on looking for a better job rather than on proving you can work hard. If you do get an answer, mark it on your calendar as “ask for performance evaluation”. Remember you have every right to demand to be the first in line for promotion to the job that was offered to you at first. And if (answer or no) he says or implies that your question means you don’t trust him enough, you can mention the trustworthiness of previous employers.

Suggesting an employee may get a promotion by proving themselves and then never giving them that promotion is the oldest dirty trick to make someone work harder than they should. If that game is being played, you want to have a date on which it will end. And showing that you’re ambitious never hurts.
Lia S

Postby Valerie » Fri May 24, 2013 10:20 am

Lia S wrote:I think you should ask him what time frame he has in mind for seeing if you can progress from being a server. If he lied, he won’t give a real answer to that and then you’ll know to spend your effort on looking for a better job rather than on proving you can work hard. If you do get an answer, mark it on your calendar as “ask for performance evaluation”. Remember you have every right to demand to be the first in line for promotion to the job that was offered to you at first. And if (answer or no) he says or implies that your question means you don’t trust him enough, you can mention the trustworthiness of previous employers.

Suggesting an employee may get a promotion by proving themselves and then never giving them that promotion is the oldest dirty trick to make someone work harder than they should. If that game is being played, you want to have a date on which it will end. And showing that you’re ambitious never hurts.

You're a genius. I am going to do that. Thank you.

As usual.

Valerie

Postby Trefle » Fri May 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes. What Lia says.

Damn, dealing with these things is complicated.. >_<
Trefle

Postby Lia S » Sat May 25, 2013 5:59 am

Valerie wrote:You're a genius. I am going to do that. Thank you.

I’m not a genius, just a pessimist who spends a lot of time analyzing how things might go wrong and figuring out how to block potential problems without causing arguments. But if I could let myself take risks and actually did something, maybe...

Also, it’s much easier to be strategic when you’re not emotionally involved in a situation. Well, I do have feelings about this because I think you’re awesome and deserve the best job in the world, but you get what I mean.

Still, thanks <3

By the way, if the answer is a long time (two years or more, I guess?), you’ll want to ask him about how well you’re doing every once in a while in between. The longer he expects you to take to prove you’re good, the more likely it is he hopes you’ll forget.

I guess the rest of the trick is to keep expressing your opinions, but always in a calm, positive, polite yet strict way, even when someone has done something that pissed you off (in other words, you’re not part of problems, you’re also not separated from everything, you are above the problems and part of the solutions). And show him that you could be a good manager if he would let you... without changing into an underpaid manager who is a server in name only. You need to show you understand the business, care about it, can make the other employees respect you, and would like to have the power to make the business succeed.

In the best case scenario, he planned to give you the manager job, but then perceived you as not having natural authority. Assume that’s the issue - it will help you to stay positive and be liked by the person who can give you that promotion.
Lia S

Postby Evil Ben » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:19 am

On the one hand, congrats for landing a job. On the other I'd be very suspicious of your new boss. I think Lia's suggestion is a good one.
But on the other he may have been testing to see how aggressive you are. He may have wanted you to fight for the supervisor position.
Just one suggestion on why he did what he did.
"It does what it's told." ~Peggy Dodson
Evil Ben

Next

Return to General Discussion