Pick-up Lines. ;D

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Valerie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Trefle wrote:I...we...don't really use pick up lines, especially in public (dunno at bars), so I really really have no idea, and in fact, am pretty curious.

How are they supposed to break the ice? Do they even work? O_O;;;;;

My mind, it perplexed.


It just depends on the line. Some will get you glared at, some will make the person laugh. If the person laughs, that's an okay sign; the person clearly finds you funny, so that might be an invitation to talk a little bit. There's also the chance that the person you're talking to will understand your intentions (to get laid that night) and immediately agree or immediately turn you down.

It's just a good shortcut, I guess.

Typically, they are used in bars (but sometimes at other places that adults meet), and usually it's men that are hitting on women, but sometimes it's the other way around. (Or, in the case of gay people, a woman hitting on a woman or a man hitting on a man.)

One that could earn either a glare or a laugh, depending on the person, is "That outfit looks great on you, but it would look even better on my bedroom floor." If someone finds this clever, they might laugh, which is a sign that they might be open to talking to you for a bit. If someone finds it rude, they might glare at you or tell you to go away. If the person is also looking for a one-night stand, zie might take you up on the offer.

Then there are some that are just plain cute. "Hey, do you know how much a polar bear weighs?" "No, how much?" "Enough to break the ice. I'm Max, what's your name?"

And there are some that are just plain rude and right to the point. "Can I use your thighs as earmuffs?"
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.


TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
User avatar
Valerie
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 pm

I got one that's supposed to be funny and is seriously kind of creepy...^^;

"Hey Beautiful, your crawlspace or mine?"

Okay it's very creepy. XD But it's a serial killer pick up line.

*Sorry if it really creeps anyone out.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby dare » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:36 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:"Hey Beautiful, your crawlspace or mine?"


That's not creepy, that would totally work on me! </caver></urbanexplorer>
From bad to worse in 0.2 seconds!
User avatar
dare
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 am
Location: Finland

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 am

XD Well at least it'll charm someone a bit. :D
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Lia S » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:02 am

Valerie wrote:
Trefle wrote:I...we...don't really use pick up lines, especially in public (dunno at bars), so I really really have no idea, and in fact, am pretty curious.

How are they supposed to break the ice? Do they even work? O_O;;;;;

My mind, it perplexed.


It just depends on the line. Some will get you glared at, some will make the person laugh. If the person laughs, that's an okay sign; the person clearly finds you funny, so that might be an invitation to talk a little bit. There's also the chance that the person you're talking to will understand your intentions (to get laid that night) and immediately agree or immediately turn you down.


Is the purpose of a pick-up line necessarily to get laid that night? It seems to me that some (like the polar bear one) are meant as a way to say “you look like a fun person to talk with” rather than “you look like a fun person to have sex with, soon”.

Maybe the nonsexual ones can be called opening lines.

I wonder what sort of line to use to say you think someone is cute without saying you want to bang that person ASAP. I mean, I can tell attractive and unattractive people apart pretty quickly, but generally it will take a lot more than a day before I actually *feel* attraction to someone. So anything that can be interpreted as an invitation for sex on that same day is less than useful.

“Hi! I’m demisexual, so let’s be friends and maybe have sex in a year or so!” :P
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
User avatar
Lia S
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 am

Since TUWNLWTBKAL brought up Monty Python, my alternate is the age-old "what is the average air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?". Gets a laugh, I know you're friendly. Gets a 'you're bonkers' look, I politely end the conversation. Gets the correct response, you're probably going to be my new favorite for the rest of the day.
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
User avatar
Captain LeBubbles
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:35 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Lia S » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Captain LeBubbles wrote:Since TUWNLWTBKAL brought up Monty Python, my alternate is the age-old "what is the average air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?". Gets a laugh, I know you're friendly. Gets a 'you're bonkers' look, I politely end the conversation. Gets the correct response, you're probably going to be my new favorite for the rest of the day.


What is the correct response? I know the response as in the script, but that leads to you falling into a chasm, and I wouldn’t want that to happen.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
User avatar
Lia S
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Hexr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Lia S wrote:
Captain LeBubbles wrote:Since TUWNLWTBKAL brought up Monty Python, my alternate is the age-old "what is the average air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?". Gets a laugh, I know you're friendly. Gets a 'you're bonkers' look, I politely end the conversation. Gets the correct response, you're probably going to be my new favorite for the rest of the day.


What is the correct response? I know the response as in the script, but that leads to you falling into a chasm, and I wouldn’t want that to happen.

"African or European?" As far as I know.
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
User avatar
Hexr
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:50 pm

All I can say about pick up lines is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd-0wHETSSY
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
User avatar
Artemisia
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Image
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
User avatar
thebitterfig
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm
Location: Maine, where it's probably snowing.

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby mikbuster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:45 pm

That's pretty good Artemisia.

I'm not entirely sure I'd recognize a pick-up line. I never assume people are interested in me that way, so it'd either be weird or funny if someone tried that kind of thing with me. :wink:
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
User avatar
mikbuster
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 pm

lol,

Well, the last time I was hit on, I panicked so badly. He touched my arm and I ended up in the bathroom crying and scrubbing my arm.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
User avatar
Artemisia
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Lia S » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:51 am

Hexr wrote:
Lia S wrote:
Captain LeBubbles wrote:Since TUWNLWTBKAL brought up Monty Python, my alternate is the age-old "what is the average air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?". Gets a laugh, I know you're friendly. Gets a 'you're bonkers' look, I politely end the conversation. Gets the correct response, you're probably going to be my new favorite for the rest of the day.


What is the correct response? I know the response as in the script, but that leads to you falling into a chasm, and I wouldn’t want that to happen.

"African or European?" As far as I know.


It’s “What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?”.
To which the asker responds with “I don’t know th-AAAAAAAAAAUUUUuuuuuuggggghhhh!” and falls.

I don’t really see how someone can be Bubbles’ favorite after that, so the correct response must be something else.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
User avatar
Lia S
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Axel » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 am

Artemisia wrote:All I can say about pick up lines is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd-0wHETSSY


.....................................okay, I've been officially converted. XD
Axel
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Pick-up Lines. ;D

Postby Artemisia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 am

It's even more fun to see him perform this song in concert ;-)

My home town has a small- ~300 capacity- theater and he performed there this October and I had seats right near the stage :D
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
User avatar
Artemisia
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron