QUILTBAG issues in other webcomics

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: QUILTBAG issues in other webcomics

Postby Trefle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 pm

..Alright, let's move ahead from Claire and QC in particular......? I think we're getting stuck on one character on one webcomic, and the way it's getting across atm, I somewhat doubt it will stay civil for long...?
Trefle

Postby Artemisia » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:37 pm

That's a good idea. I mean, the strip Spinnerette has us all wondering right now if Spiny and Mecha Maid will have a real falling out over what's been happening lately.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 pm

I hope not. I love that they're together.

And I hope that Mecha Maid apologizes for what she says. I mean really. :/ What did she expect from Spinnerette when this is her first relationship with a girl? Hell her first relationship ever (I believe it is her first relationship). DX
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Hrm. Given Mecha Maid's reactions while under the bad mojo of the Crazy Calgarian, I think it's clear she still feels the same way about Heather as she always has. It all comes down to Spinny not fully understanding her own feelings. That's not an easy thing to do, for anyone anywhere on the Kinsey scale.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:54 am

I think Spinny loves Mecha deeply. Whether or not Spinny is lesbian or bi is hard to tell or even straight+. I'm hoping that she comes out as lez in the end, though.

BTW, as a bit of an aside, do you guys know who Andy Lippencott is? If not, how about we do a trip down the history of one gay character in one particular strip and why I can't listen to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" without breaking down and crying.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
Artemisia

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 am

I think she does. But she might not be comfortable with *PDA's just yet. I think that Mecha Maid and her need to talk about their relationship a bit.

*Public Displays of Affection.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:03 am

I think so too. I get a feeling that Mecha is further along the comfort phase than Spinny because she's staring death in the face and doesn't have time for those kinds of doubts.
Artemisia

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:07 am

Yep. I hope they get past this issue. Don't know if they'll break up though. Spinny knows it's just the poisoned water that made her said that.
LadyObvious23

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:15 am

Yeah. I've loved them as a couple. They're romantic. I love romantic couples.

OK, since I'll burst if I don't say this---

Andy Lippincott qualifies as, probably, the first openly gay character in a mainstream comic. He came out back in the early 1970's in Doonesbury. He left the series for a long time, but came back for a stretch during the height of the AIDS epidemic. Andy came back to the strip with AIDS and died in the comic from complications while listening to the song Wouldn't It Be Nice by the Beach Boys. He is the only fictional character to have a patch in the AIDS quilt.

Since then, Doonesbury has had two out characters- Mark Slackmeyer and Rozz, a female soldier.

The only other mainstream strips to have gay characters that I know of are For Better or For Worse and 9 Chickweed Lane.
Artemisia

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:13 am

Steve Dallas of Bloom County/Outland/Opus was also eventually revealed to be gay (he was just in very, very deep denial for years.)
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:29 am

Artemisia wrote:Yeah. I've loved them as a couple. They're romantic. I love romantic couples.

They are fun. I just think wouldn't be any more settled with a hypothetical Bionic Butler or Ferrous Footman, if that was the case. Spinny loves Mecha Maid, but she doesn't fully know that. She knows she likes Marilyn, that she'd risk her life for her, but... They're always at work together, and superheroing is a risky, emotionally charged business. They haven't gone on a *real* date, and I'd bet Heather somewhat worries about these things. She doesn't know if they get along, as civilians outside of their heroics, as their own real individual selves. Same mundane doubts everyone has about relationships. So Spinnerette is kinda blind for not seeing that her life is what she does with it, that her real individual self is the same one she fights crime with.

Artemisia wrote:Since then, Doonesbury has had two out characters- Mark Slackmeyer and Rozz, a female soldier.

Don't forget Mark's ex-husband Chase. He's mostly disappeared since they split, but just because he's a Conservative, it doesn't mean he doesn't count.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:48 am

Yeah, I forgot Chase and Steve Dallas...

And, yes, I think Heather is thinking about all the 'bad' stuff and not sure where the relationship is headed in the end.
Artemisia

Postby Louisa » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

If I can jump in with another webcomic, does anyone around here read Khaos Komix? (massive TW for all kinds of abuse in the most recent storyline) It definitely embodies the "Cast Full of Gay" trope,* in that out of 8 main characters, only one is heterosexual. Also has 2 trans characters; the first webcomic I ever read that featured a trans person (well, actually I read QC first, but Claire is a very recent addition to that strip). Also a story structure that I find very interesting: there are 8 overlapping storylines, each from one person's point of view, and it's fun seeing the different takes on certain events, or watching new information get revealed that suddenly causes you to read old storylines in a completely different way.

And the final storyline in Khaos Komix is coming to a close right now... I will miss that strip.

*I will not link to that website. I will not link to that website. I... well, maybe it's okay if it's a really small link?
Louisa

Previous

Return to General Discussion