Changeover Complete

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Changeover Complete

Postby retrophrenologist » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:54 pm

oddtail wrote:
FlyingFish wrote:I'm still baffled by the fact that anyone thinks a bunch of random Russian text linking to God-knows-what in the middle of an English forum actually attracts clicks, or does anything but irritate the locals.

The problem is: "no effort or cost. The results will probably not work at all, but who cares abotu annoying a bunch of random strangers?". And if one person from thousands and thousands of people spammed clicks a link, mission accomplished.

I'm not saying it is sane, I'm saying it makes a perverted kind of sense.

Although I do wonder why people reponsible for the spamming don't put the 10 minutes of effort into making the spam make a smidgeon of sense. Then again, that would defeat the initial "no effort" argument.

Lia S is right- it's not about getting people to click, it's about increasing the linked page's Google pagerank. One of the methods Google uses to determine a page's relevance is by counting the number of links to that page, and spam links on a forum are as good as anything else.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Previous

Return to General Discussion