Changeover Complete

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Changeover Complete

Postby TCampbell » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:17 am

I'll be purging spam from the forum for the next hour or so, but the change in captcha should be sufficient to frustrate any new accounts. We may have lost some posts in the changeover, but not so many as I worried we might. Thanks for keeping me up to date on this, guys.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Re: Changeover Complete

Postby TCampbell » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:16 am

TCampbell wrote:I'll be purging spam from the forum for the next hour or so, but the change in captcha should be sufficient to frustrate any new accounts. We may have lost some posts in the changeover, but not so many as I worried we might. Thanks for keeping me up to date on this, guys.

Edit: Strike that-- all spam's now gone (can't believe it took me this long to realize I could remove all bad topics at once). I'm not sure I got all the bad accounts from before, but in my experience those rarely get used after their initial run of posts. So there may be a little more spam, but it should drop off sharply now. Thanks!
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Trefle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:12 am

Thank you, T. :D
Trefle

Postby Valerie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:27 am

Thank you from me, too. <3
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:58 am

Valerie's lost post about static electricity is the only one that matters. 8)
Bo Lindbergh

Re:

Postby Valerie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:17 am

Bo Lindbergh wrote:Valerie's lost post about static electricity is the only one that matters. 8)

*gasp* OH NO, IT'S GONE!?
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Kamino Neko » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:12 pm

TCampbell wrote:I'll be purging spam from the forum for the next hour or so, but the change in captcha should be sufficient to frustrate any new accounts.

Looks like not, unless cgaz..czga... ... Mxyzptlk is an existing account you missed.
Can you hear me boy? Your devil is here!

Valerie wrote:You're in my harem, right? :oops:
Kamino Neko

Postby Tamar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:16 pm

:shock: If Mxyzptlk has discovered the forum, then we're really in trouble. Someone get Superman!
Rebhel wrote:I happen to like Lisa BECAUSE of the way she speaks. If you don't get her, oh well... you are the one missing out.

Go ask Alice; I think she'll know.
Tamar

Postby FlyingFish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Not just spammets, but FOREIGN spammers, no doubt taking jobs from honest American spammsrs! When will President Campbell see we need to build that wall at thw forum border?
FlyingFish

Postby Hexr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 pm

FlyingFish wrote:Not just spammets, but FOREIGN spammers, no doubt taking jobs from honest American spammsrs! When will President Campbell see we need to build that wall at thw forum border?

Oh yeah, like your spammers would be so much better! Let me tell you something: Last American spam I saw promised me 6 inches more length. In comparison, the last "foreign" spam (in this case, German) (not counting the spam in this forum) promised me 15,24 cm more length!
Not that I read penis enlargement spam because I would need to boost my fragile ego somehow! My ego is great! I am not in the least hurt by your US-centric classification of people!
... I'm sorry, what was the question again?
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
Hexr

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:14 am

TCampbell wrote:but the change in captcha should be sufficient to frustrate any new accounts

... for a day or so. Getting new sign-ups now.
Bo Lindbergh

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:21 am

I'm still baffled by the fact that anyone thinks a bunch of random Russian text linking to God-knows-what in the middle of an English forum actually attracts clicks, or does anything but irritate the locals.
FlyingFish

Postby Lia S » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 am

It can move up whatever is linked to in the google results of some Russian searching for whatever it is.

Also, I’ve seen bots take text from elsewhere (stuff *I* wrote, even) and use it to make spam look like legitimate posts that happen to have some odd links in them. I guess they sometimes accidentally take something from another language.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby oddtail » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:28 am

FlyingFish wrote:I'm still baffled by the fact that anyone thinks a bunch of random Russian text linking to God-knows-what in the middle of an English forum actually attracts clicks, or does anything but irritate the locals.

The problem is: "no effort or cost. The results will probably not work at all, but who cares abotu annoying a bunch of random strangers?". And if one person from thousands and thousands of people spammed clicks a link, mission accomplished.

I'm not saying it is sane, I'm saying it makes a perverted kind of sense.

Although I do wonder why people reponsible for the spamming don't put the 10 minutes of effort into making the spam make a smidgeon of sense. Then again, that would defeat the initial "no effort" argument.
oddtail

Postby TCampbell » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 am

Okay, ban list should be working properly now.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion