Re-read week 5: The Best of Enemies 21 - 24

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Re-read week 5: The Best of Enemies 21 - 24

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 am

oddtail wrote:Well, I don't think that, but it's fun to imagine that. Think about it. Penny in a top hat and with a moustache.

Sounds like some good foreplay dressup!
FlyingFish

Postby oddtail » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 am

FlyingFish wrote:
oddtail wrote:Well, I don't think that, but it's fun to imagine that. Think about it. Penny in a top hat and with a moustache.

Sounds like some good foreplay dressup!

I know, right?
oddtail

Postby timemonkey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:43 am

Oh no, Aggie, Penny isn't quaking with fear at your pressence and is being nice! Could you maybe be wrong about her? Nope, couldn't possibly consider that.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00 am

timemonkey wrote:Oh no, Aggie, Penny isn't quaking with fear at your pressence and is being nice! Could you maybe be wrong about her? Nope, couldn't possibly consider that.

AGGIE: (checking series bible) That's not on tap until the fourth season!
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby timemonkey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 am

Alice Macher wrote:
timemonkey wrote:Oh no, Aggie, Penny isn't quaking with fear at your pressence and is being nice! Could you maybe be wrong about her? Nope, couldn't possibly consider that.

AGGIE: (checking series bible) That's not on tap until the fourth season!

A shame, since the comic got so much better once they started being friends.
timemonkey

Postby Trefle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 am

Oh, but we've got to go through Popsicle Wars, which is the first point of deliciousness. so I think it's so worth it.
Trefle

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:26 am

Also, fourth-wall-breaking jokes aside, we need to remember that, at this very early point, according to what T and Gisele have mentioned on various occasions, there was no grand overarching plot for the comic, given that Gis conceived of it as a potential newspaper strip. The initial premise was that Penny and Aggie would be locked in a comical rivalry, sometimes--as in the last couple of installments in this first arc--on the verge of becoming friends or at least reaching a mutual understanding. But mostly--not. And the first several chapters pretty much remain faithful to that concept.

Eventually--again, I'm sticking here only to what T and Gis have themselves said on the record--T got tired of doing only stories about the two leads going at it like Tom and Jerry (as he put it) and never truly coming to understand each other, and both he and Gis got tired of pitching the comic to newspaper syndicates, without success. That's why, gradually, the series changed direction, with longer arcs, a wider cast of characters with their own storylines, and more "mature" subject matter of the sort that could only be hinted at, or at most treated very superficially, in newspaper comics. And it's why the idea of Penny and Aggie becoming friends became more and more compelling for both the creators and the readership. (And, for some of the readership, the possibility of the leads becoming more than friends.)

But all that was much later. In 2004, the only plan was "Let's do a fun, mostly gag-based comic about two teenage girls who irritate each other and yet can't quite stay apart. And let's try to reach as wide an audience as we can." The rest was only a twinkle in T's eye.
Alice Macher

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am

Alice Macher wrote:going at it like Tom and Jerry (as he put it) and never truly coming to understand each other

But Tom and Jerry were best friends! They understood each other fine! D:
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Captain LeBubbles wrote:But Tom and Jerry were best friends! They understood each other fine! D:

Not in the classic MGM shorts, they didn't!
Alice Macher

Postby timemonkey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Trefle wrote:Oh, but we've got to go through Popsicle Wars, which is the first point of deliciousness. so I think it's so worth it.

Well, the last third of it was kind of enjoyable. Once everyone got their crap together and started working together. The whole 'every antagonist in the series comes together for evil plotting to destroy their rivals' thing always just made me roll my eyes, especially ove rhow much they were able to acomplish. But we'll get into my probloems with that story once we get there.
timemonkey

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Alice Macher wrote:
Captain LeBubbles wrote:But Tom and Jerry were best friends! They understood each other fine! D:

Well sure there was a lot of violence, but they were still best friends who understood each other.
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby retrophrenologist » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Aggie is shopping for clothes because Finster panicked and clawed the hell out of her top when she took him outside. That's why we mostly only see him in Aggie's room.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Lia S » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Captain LeBubbles wrote:
Alice Macher wrote:

Well sure there was a lot of violence, but they were still best friends who understood each other.

You’re thinking of Ben and Jerry.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby sun tzu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 am

Alice Macher wrote:

Well, there's "Blue Cat Blues"...
sun tzu

Postby Trefle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 pm

I thought Tom and Jerry were Frenemies at best.

Although looking at them with the current sensibilities gives a tsundere idea for Tom >_>; so perhaps, secret yaoi couple (I'm SURE someone must have done this already)
Trefle

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion