Politics!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Politics!

Postby Pink Freud » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:25 am

So I posted a big long speech on Facebook about how sick it made me to see the voter poll ID crap and gerrymandering tactics with the voting polls and how it now means I have no respect whatsoever for this town or the people in it any longer and now you know that cheaters never win which you should've learned in gradeschool etc etc.

One person "Like"'d it. A guy that used to beat me up in junior high. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that.
Pink Freud

Postby Artemisia » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 am

Guys...big news:

MAINE AND MARYLAND HAVE LEGALIZED SAME-SEX MARRIAGE AT THE POLLS!!!!
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby Trefle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 am

Four more years. I'm so happy with you Americans!

And Warren wins, Akin and Mourdock lost.
\o/

And YES ARTE! \o/ OMG today probably is a party day for a lot of people

I guess the GOP as a party has reached critical distress point by this moment... And as the Good Book says, love thy neighbour.

My deepest sympathies.

Bubbles, give me some of that confetti.

Pink : .....say thanks for the appreciation and hope that he's learned his lesson?
Trefle

Postby oddtail » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 am

Congratulations, Americans. You have chosen the better presidential candidate. I wish I could say the choice was obvious, but you DID re-elect Bush Jr., once ;)

Anyway, I'm happy to see this result. I may not live in the US, but American politics do influence the world and, by extension, indirectly impact my life in a smallish way.
oddtail

Postby thebitterfig » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:20 am

Artemisia wrote:Guys...big news:

DIRIGO!!!!! (motto of the State of Maine, translation: I lead)

I wasn't going to say anything about that until it was official. It was heartbreaking to have the election on that come so close in 2009, to have lead the tally for a while, then slip away.

*edit* won 53%/47%, after having previously lost 47%/53%. From 6 points down to 6 points up, similar vote totals. Indication: about 12% of the voters of the State of Maine has flipped on the issue. *inaccuracy noted, left for posterity*
Last edited by thebitterfig on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby sun tzu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 am

So.
Obama wins reelection with what's looking like a lead of over 2.5 million popular votes.
The Democrats have a Senate majority, with both the Republican rape apologists kicked out (and in Akin's case, utterly ROFLSTOMPED).
First openly lesbian senator.
Several States have legalized gay marriage. Several others have voted to end the cannabis prohibition.

Yeah, this day could definitely have been worse. :lol:
sun tzu

Postby Kamino Neko » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:09 am

Soon, the US may even be a civilized country!
Can you hear me boy? Your devil is here!

Valerie wrote:You're in my harem, right? :oops:
Kamino Neko

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 am

Trefle wrote:Bubbles, give me some of that confetti.

A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Artemisia » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am

thebitterfig wrote:
Artemisia wrote:Guys...big news:

DIRIGO!!!!! (motto of the State of Maine, translation: I lead)

I wasn't going to say anything about that until it was official. It was heartbreaking to have the election on that come so close in 2009, to have lead the tally for a while, then slip away.

*edit* won 53%/47%, after having previously lost 47%/53%. From 6 points down to 6 points up, similar vote totals. Indication: about 12% of the voters of the State of Maine has flipped on the issue.

And it gets better...Minnesota rejected the marriage ban AND Washington approved marriage equality.
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
Artemisia

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:32 am

And in OTHER political news, Puerto Rico has voted for statehood!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

Captain LeBubbles

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 am

From CBC.ca: Republicans do some soul-searching after Romney loss

(Well, some Republicans are doing so, whereas others, as the article notes, are adamant that nothing's wrong with their party and that they don't have to change. Time will tell who wins out.)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Alice Macher wrote:From CBC.ca: Republicans do some soul-searching after Romney loss

(Well, some Republicans are doing so, whereas others, as the article notes, are adamant that nothing's wrong with their party and that they don't have to change. Time will tell who wins out.)

My favorite comments to that article:

"It's simple; lose the greed, stop hating, care about your country over the wealthy few, and you'll win votes. Lastly, in the least, admit that trickle down economics was a failed concept. Oh, and stop being so obstructionist. People remember."
--"And while you're at it, become democrats."

Captain LeBubbles

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I find that the part that makes me grin the most is that the rape senators got tossed out on their wrinkled old butts. Sorry boys - must be God's legitimate plan to shut your whole thing down. :D

I'm also pretty stoked that three of the new Senators are - an openly lesbian woman, a disabled woman, and an Asian-American woman. Breaking up the pasty-faced old white boys club has been needed for a while now, I really do think it's some of why things have gotten as bad as they have (no new social ideas.)
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Captain LeBubbles wrote:--"And while you're at it, become Democrats."

Heh. See, I wouldn't want the G.O.P. to disappear entirely. As I've said before, a democracy, in order truly to be a democracy, needs at least two electable parties. (Three electable parties would arguably be better, but that's not going to happen in the U.S. any time soon.) Free elections don't mean as much if only one party, over the years or even decades, has a realistic chance of election (like Canada's Liberal party in the 1920s through 1940s, with only brief Conservative interregna) or Japan's Liberal Democratic party (from 1955 to 2009, uninterrupted).

What I would want, if I were American, would be for the Republican Party to return to the way it was before 1980. Before it became all about promoting rightist evangelical morality, seeking to overturn Roe v. Wade, cutting funding for various academic disciplines and, as the article I linked observes, caring only about the rural white male vote. It may surprise some of you to know that, back in the sixties, there were a significant number of Republicans who were more progressive on civil rights than a significant number of Democrats (especially in the South). Even the Nixon and Reagan administrations were more open to social spending than the Tea Party guard of today.

Granted, people like Charles Krauthammer can point to the fact that Romney nearly became president, and that Republicans still control the House of Representatives. But that's now. As for the future, the facts are these: America, whether one likes it or not, is becoming an increasingly diverse nation, day by day: ethnically, religiously, areligiously, gender-wise and sexuality-wise. And there's much more open and collegial mixing and blending of these different demographics. It's no longer "scandalous" in much of the country for Jews to marry/partner with Christians, people of colour to marry/partner with white people, for a white Anglo-Saxon Christian man to have a Pakistani-American Muslim woman as a coworker or boss. So the day will come when the Republican party will have to reach out to, and be more inclusive of, America's diverse populations--and on their terms, not on "We, and only we, know what's best for you" terms. It will have to, if it wants to remain a viable, electable party in the 21st century. And, once again, I think that will be good for Americans as a whole, regardless of party affiliation or lack thereof.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Artemisia » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm still in shock.

We won all four marriage races...

We won the White House....

Six, and maybe seven, LGBT-Americans going to Congress.

I could barely sleep last night.
Artemisia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion