Politics!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Politics!

Postby CEOIII » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:23 pm

retrophrenologist wrote:
thebitterfig wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:
Pink Freud wrote:Yeah, Seth Meyers pretty much summed up my opinion on polls last week: "...people who still have a land line phone and pick-up calls from "Unknown Caller" on caller ID."

Sometimes the caller ID actually says "political call" or, recently, "REPUBLICANS." I laughed (but did not answer the phone).

Someone ought to get the Caller ID "DO NOT ANSWER." I mean, I'd totally pick up the phone.

"IT'S COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE"

And when someone sees that on their Caller ID, has a heart attack, and dies, you get sued into Chapter 11.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby sun tzu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 am

So.
Today's the day.
Godspeed, America.
sun tzu

Postby Pink Freud » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Well.

So I go to my local polling place, the local civic center across the street from my house, where everyone in town has voted for the last 20 or 30 years or more, walk inside and they're checking ID's. I resisted the urge to tell the old woman at the table, "It's ok, there no need, I'm the designated driver." She swiped my license through some gadget connected to a netbook, looked up at me and said, "It says you can't vote here, you're supposed to vote in the civic center." I stare at her blankly for a couple seconds, then reply, "I'm standing inside it....right now," She looks at me, confused, turns to the old man next to her and asks if this is the civic center and he says "Yeah." She tells me again that I'm not supposed to vote there, because of my old address I'm supposed to vote somewhere else and remarks that the address is different on my license than in her records and maybe I have the wrong ID.

I shit you not.

I ask her if she thinks I'm carrying around someone else's license with my picture on it and she looks confused, then annoyed. She then tells me again that I can't vote here, I'm supposed to vote at the civic center, I tell her again I'm IN the civic center (and resist yelling 'WE'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE, I RECOGNIZE THAT TREE!" When finally one of the other people waiting to vote speaks up and says, "They renamed this building the "community center", the "civic center" is across town now."

A half hour later I finally found the "civic center". A small building on the edge of town near the baseball field, behind a big church, with a small handwritten sign by the door reading "Civic Center. Vote Here." I went inside, grabbed a change of address form and a ballot, filled out the former, checked the DEM party ticket on the latter, turned them both in and left, tired and angry, wondering why in the hell they moved my old address' polling place out in the middle of goddamn nowhere. Then it hit me.

In 2008 I lived in a cheap HUD sponsored apartment complex. On the south side of town. The "black" side of town. What my family has always colloquially referred to as "Ni**ertown".

God damn I hate Texas.
Pink Freud

Postby Valerie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Eww, what a pain, Pink. D:
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Mr. Brightside » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Elbridge Gerry would be a saint in today's political landscape.

Regardless, I can't help but feel I'd like it to be a little harder to vote. I mean, I know it doesn't happen, but if I'd wanted to, I could have easily gone from precinct to precinct, taking the vote of basically anyone whose address I knew! There are all kinds of issues with requiring driver's licenses, but surely there's a middle ground between there and "Address? So you're X [X allegedly voted by absentee ballot - naughty, naughty]? Oh, then are you Y [Y is a woman]? Z? W? Okay, W, here's your ballot."
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby Valerie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Mr. Brightside wrote:Regardless, I can't help but feel I'd like it to be a little harder to vote.

I get your point about a reasonable ID requirement, but 'harder to vote' has different meanings. One thing which we definitely need are {1} well working machines {2} sufficient staff, space, and equipment to get good throughput. Long lines are ridiculous. This is a once-every-four-years expense, just pay for machines that work and enough people for the system to flow smoothly.

*SQUEE* Akin and Mourdock both lost. Keeping it classy, no trigger jokes.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a reelection.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Pink Freud » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 pm

thebitterfig wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a reelection.

Q F muthafuckin T! ABC, CBS, CNN, hell even FOX News has called it for Obama at this point.

Rock the fuckin house.
Pink Freud

Postby Mr. Brightside » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure Foxnews was there first, funnily enough... I saw enough comments from its readers before I could find it anywhere else that I was wondering if they were thinking of (Sherrod) Brown.
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby CEOIII » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:28 pm

FOUR.
MORE.
FUCKING.
YEARS!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:30 pm

Congratulations, America.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 pm

I mean, I guess John Husted could still rejigger the numbers, but Obama won Iowa, Colorado, and Nevada. At this point, he could LOSE all of Ohio, Virginia, and Florida and still hit 272. Of course, he's probably going to win all three.

My [culling of other people's] predictions look to be wrong by Colorado and Florida. I'd read early voting numbers for Colorado which put it (R) for me, and I foolishly discounted the GOTV machine Obama built in Florida.
thebitterfig

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Guys, this calls for confetti.

(The glittery kind.)

(That glows in the dark.)

(And explodes on contact.)
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 pm

CEOIII wrote:FOUR.
MORE.
FUCKING.
YEARS!

Wonder if he'll use his middle name now, like Ali beating up Floyd Patterson.

Also, a last word from Nate Silver (via TNC):

thebitterfig

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion