Politics!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Politics!

Postby Valerie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 pm

mikbuster wrote:Lies! The only problems we have here are entitlements causing our debt issues (yeah, congresswoman for this state actually said that, on the radio... not like defense...), women getting abortions, gun laws being too restrictive, and ObamaCare! :shock: Yeah, that's what our politicians actually believe... and way too many in this state as well... I swear that people around here would think that owning a rocket launcher should be allowed for the purposes of hunting...

You forgot gay marriage! IT'S RUINING SOCIETY! HOW COULD YOU FORGET!?
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby mikbuster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Because it's not legal here? :( I guess I only have to travel like 20 miles to visit a place where I could marry a guy, but still...
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Valerie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:40 pm

mikbuster wrote:Because it's not legal here? :( I guess I only have to travel like 20 miles to visit a place where I could marry a guy, but still...

Actually, since you're MtF, how does that work? Can you change your legal identity to female and then marry a man? Not trying to be insensitive, just curious about how that works, legally.

(I'm also sorry if I got your gender identity wrong. I think I got it right?)

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Artemisia » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Sigh. . .depends.

In some states, if you are MtF and marry a guy, it's fine. If you're in Texas, they believe that you're male from the day you're conceived to the day you die and "don't you dare come to our state to get married and don't think that any kind of surgery will ever ever make you less of a man!"
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby mikbuster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:11 pm

What she said :) Different states have different requirements on changing your gender markers. Assuming it was changed, it's still open to legal concerns because a state like this one that refuses to acknowledge same sex marriages and if they decide that birth sex is all that matters they could decide that any such marriage isn't recognized. If I were to change it and marry a woman, I'm pretty sure the state wouldn't allow that because it's a same sex marriage. So, it's possible that in some areas we can't get married at all due to gender and sexuality discrimination. I've recently made friends with a couple, and if the one woman went to change her legal gender right now, in North Dakota, their marriage wouldn't be recognized any more. Basically, you have to assume the worst, and that any marriage wouldn't be recognized. That would be the main reason it's still an important issue to the trans community aside from the fact that it's simple fairness and equality.
mikbuster

Postby mikbuster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:19 pm

and my gender is female :wink:
mikbuster

Postby Evil Ben » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:19 pm

What fun would that be? Now the M-203 grenade launcher, on the other hand....

mikbuster wrote:<snippage>... I swear that people around here would think that owning a rocket launcher should be allowed for the purposes of hunting...

---------------------------------------------------
You think this country was build on fairness and equality? We haven't had near enough wars to be that egalitarian...
mikbuster wrote:What she said :) <snippage>.. That would be the main reason it's still an important issue to the trans community aside from the fact that it's simple fairness and equality.
"It does what it's told." ~Peggy Dodson
Evil Ben

Postby Valerie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Evil Ben wrote:You think this country was build on fairness and equality? We haven't had near enough wars to be that egalitarian

"We find these truths to be self-evident..."
Really wish our politicians would give it a read now and again.

As usual.

Valerie

Postby mikbuster » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:07 am

Yes, but the men in power choose to believe that 'men' doesn't include you :wink:
mikbuster

Postby Valerie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:09 pm

mikbuster wrote:Yes, but the men in power choose to believe that 'men' doesn't include you :wink:

Well, at least gay men, then! D:

As usual.

Valerie

Postby Valerie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:21 am

I guess this is almost more economics than politics, but I thought of this a while back, and surely someone else has thought of it because it seems like such a simple idea (meaning there must be something wrong with it or they would have tried it already): why not make a law that you have to treat every employee your company has as though they're from your company's country?

So, for example, the US is always sending jobs over to China and other places specifically because those workers don't need to be paid as much, legally. So let's saaay we've goooot *makes up a scenario and some names* the Banana Company. They make toys, I guess. The company is based in the US, and there are workers in the US, but most of the work is outsourced to Bangladesh*. So you've got John over in the US, making $7.25/hour because that's minimum wage here. Meanwhile, Mishkat** is making that much in a week***.

BUT, since the company is based in the US, now John AND Mishkat get $7.25/hour. It would either:
1. Require companies to treat people in other countries as human beings or
2. Encourage companies to move jobs back over here, helping the American economy, etc.

Sounds like a win-win.

It would be a US-specific law, so it wouldn't work the other way. The Banana Company couldn't move to Bangladesh and pay American workers less based on those laws, because Bangladesh wouldn't be affected by the American law about this.

Does any of that make sense? Is there some huge, glaring flaw that I'm missing?

*I don't know anything about Bangladesh, but it's fun to say.
**I had to look up a name that someone from Bangladesh might have.
***I have no idea what minimum wage is in Bangladesh or if it even exists. >_>; ...This example is difficult.

As usual.

Valerie

Postby mikbuster » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:22 pm

mainly that US laws have no effect on people that aren't citizens and that aren't here (barring effects people following our laws have on them)
so... we'd have no way to enforce it and probably no way to know if it was followed

countries could make an agreement like that though
mikbuster

Postby Valerie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:54 pm

mikbuster wrote:mainly that US laws have no effect on people that aren't citizens and that aren't here (barring effects people following our laws have on them)
so... we'd have no way to enforce it and probably no way to know if it was followed

countries could make an agreement like that though

I'm not sure what the details on that would be... People outside the US who work for these companies would benefit from it, but they actually aren't being forced to do anything due to the law. Only the company would be directly affected, and then the workers would be indirectly affected as a result, right?

As usual.

Valerie

Postby mikbuster » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 pm

The easiest way around that is to create a subsidiary then, assuming that you can create laws governing a company's actions outside the country. :(
mikbuster

Postby Pink Freud » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:19 am

It wouldn't matter, Val. The factories in China that make Wal-Mart merchandise aren't owned by Wal-Mart, they're owned by someone in China who just sells the merchandise to Wal-Mart cheaply. They set that up when the first accusations of "Wal-Mart-owned chinese sweatshops" started flying around. Same with anyone else who buys products made in China. Iphones aren't made by Apple, either. They're designed by Apple, but made by Foxconn for Apple, so no American business rules could possibly apply to them. Outsourced production, tech support, what-have-you, are all handled by companies owned within that country that are just selling their products/services to the American companies, so that when scandals pop up about Foxconn suicides due to stress and harsh working conditions, or chinese toy companies using lead-based paint, it's so sad and someone should do something over there but it's not anyone in America's fault because the businesses are not owned by Americans.
Pink Freud

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion