Politics!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Politics!

Postby Valerie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Okay, so basic rundown, though most of you who still check here likely already know this stuff:

Nazis marched in Charlottesville, VA. The next day, there were counter-protest marches in several cities. Then, in North Carolina, while chanting "No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA," a statue of a confederate general was pulled down. Now there are several cities getting rid of their confederate statues, possibly to avoid protesters tearing them down and getting people hurt, or possibly because they've finally realized that we don't need to have statues of racist creeps who lost a war.

Trump has been, of course, not very good at telling the Nazis to stop being Nazis. He said there was a lot of hate "on many sides," seemingly blaming the non-Nazis as much as the Nazis. When asked by a reporter, "Do you want the support of white nationalists," Trump turned to leave the room. Then he stepped back into the room to sign something, at which point he was asked the same question again, then he walked out without saying a word.

Naturally, the white supremacists have taken this as a sign that he supports them. Why wouldn't they?

There are more Nazi marches planned in several US cities, nine this weekend according to CNN. None of them in my neck of the woods, thankfully. I don't wanna go to jail for kicking Nazi ass. BUT I WILL, FUCKERS.

Seriously, though, what happened to my country? I want my president back and I want these assholes to go back to their moms' basements.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby CEOIII » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 am

This is going to end ugly.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Valerie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:11 am

I wish I could disagree. Like I seriously don't know if we should be getting ready for WW3 or Civil War 2.

I want California to secede like they were talking about (it was mostly a protest idea, not really a legit desire to leave the country, I think) so Morgan and I can move back there and not have to deal with this stuff.

But at the same time, I would have to sneak around and go Underground Railroad to get people away from the Nazis.

WHY ARE ALL OF THE WARS MIXING TOGETHER

I've considered getting a gun. I don't know how to shoot. They freak me out. I had a tiny panic attack once when my mom's boyfriend was holding an empty gun. He wasn't even mad or anything, he was just holding it, and I was like DFHKSDHFDKJSFHKJDSHK PUT THAT DOWN. And I don't want to have to actually physically fight anybody, but I'm scared and I don't know what to do. And I know that's not really a good reason to get a gun, so at least I still have some sense.

I don't know how to help. I don't know what to do. I'm small and soft and cuddly. I can't fight worth a damn anymore. I guess I could do some kind of supporting role, be like the next Molly Pitcher or something...

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Pink Freud » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Val, if you're having panic attacks at someone just holding an empty gun, do NOT buy a gun. People who don't know how to use one are more a danger to themselves than anyone else could be, especially if they're afraid of it.

I don't think it'll come to anything violent in a massive way. If anything, most of these white trash assholes want people to see *them* as the "rational" ones and paint more educated, liberal-minded people as the "crazies". This just gets sabotaged by the actual crazies that are inherent to their particular mode of thinking.

If you're afraid and want to protect yourself there are TONS of non-lethal ways to do so, and that's just on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... qklc_e_p19

I like the pepper spray gun myself, but I wouldn't need one because I actually own a real revolver, which thankfully I've never had to use. But I grew up around guns and was plugging moving targets at 50 yards with a .22 Ruger when I was ten, so I'm well-versed in how to use it.
The story's told, with facts and lies, I had a name... but never mind.
Pink Freud

Postby thebitterfig » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 pm

CEOIII wrote:This is going to end ugly.

It started ugly. I mean, we got here through decades of white supremacist violence, which white folks like myself have never quite been willing to stop. Through violence against women, which men like myself have never quite been willing to stop. The Nazi driver in Charlottesville had beat his mother, had the cops called on him, and still. Nearly every mass killer in this country is someone who has been violent to women in their lives.

Will it all end in blood? Maybe there's a way to stop it, but that's how it all began.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby thebitterfig » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Case in point:

https://timeline.com/charlottesville-vi ... 27b6ea69e1

On a Saturday morning in 1965, movers came to the Johnson home. Kathy Johnson and her three-year-old sister listened at the breakfast table, as their mother, Elsie, gave the movers instructions. The family was heartbroken. They didn’t want to leave their modest, two-story clapboard home, which often smelled of Elsie’s famous dinner rolls. But the house was slated to be bulldozed by the city of Charlottesville, as were 139 other black families’ homes, 30 black-owned businesses, and a church in the Vinegar Hill neighborhood. This “urban renewal project” would be done in the name of “progress.”
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Pink Freud » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Well he fired Bannon.

Ding Dong, the witch is dead.
Pink Freud

Postby Alice Macher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm not calling the Lullaby League and Lollipop Guild to help celebrate until the Walking Cheesy Poof himself leaves office, by whatever legal means. Bannon, while in office, put America's moral fabric in danger. Trump, while in office, puts the entire world's very existence in danger.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Valerie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Pink: I know. I'm glad I'm still rational enough to know better than to actually get a gun. I'm just scared. I already have pepper spray and a... noise-maker thingy. (It's really fuckin' loud, so the idea is to set it off whenever someone tries to attack you. The sudden noise will either freak them out or cause someone else to intervene when they wonder what the sound is.)

Bitterfig: A-fucking-men, dude. I've been trying to help ever since I started to really understand how much privilege my whiteness grants me. When I found out that "the talk" for black kids is basically how to not get shot by police, it was really eye-opening. I knew we had it a lot better than them, but Jesus Christ. And it really is disgusting how many murderers have been in legal trouble for violence before. We need to find a new strategy, because clearly the current one isn't working.

Pink and Alice: About time. Just need the rest of those creeps out of there. How did this even happen? I'm going to kick the ass of every non-voter I see from now on.

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Valerie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Not exactly "political," just wondering if our Texans are okay. The only one I remember specifically living in Texas is Pink, and he's idle in the chatroom at the moment, so hopefully that's a good sign. How's everyone else?

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Pink Freud » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm fine. I'm a few hours north of Houston, not anywhere near this stuff. My cousin lives down there, but she's in a town just off of Houston up on some high land, so they're fine too so far.
Pink Freud

Postby Valerie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 am

Pink Freud wrote:I'm fine. I'm a few hours north of Houston, not anywhere near this stuff. My cousin lives down there, but she's in a town just off of Houston up on some high land, so they're fine too so far.

Good!

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Lia S » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Wikiquote says this one is disputed, but someone must have said it at some point...

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.

Preparing my phone for the possibility of an illegal search is... interesting. Removing all social media because gods know what someone I vaguely know might write at the wrong moment. Removing my main email. Moving things that send notifications to my gmail account to my main email. Removing the apps that connect to my online address book and calendar because they use a password that also gives access to a whole lot of my files. Removing all removed stuff from the play store list of things to easily reinstall so it looks like it was never there in the first place. "What? Oh, I use my computer for all that stuff. No, I have no idea what my email password is, it's a long automatically generated thing that I saved."

The chances of a scanner that has a "male" and "female" setting not liking my body are pretty high. The next thing to happen should be a patdown and sending me on my way. Of course, that's what usually happens, but there are horror stories, and I'd like to avoid becoming the protagonist of the next one. So the less there is to look at in a "show us your phone or we'll send you back / make you miss your flight / hold you for hours while you really need to be somewhere else" situation, the better.

Useful to know: Asking you to unlock your phone with your fingerprint is not illegal like asking you for a password or pattern is. So disable that, or switch off your phone, or use the wrong finger five times before crossing the border so it won't accept further tries. Also make sure to rub your screen to hide traces of your pass pattern.

And remember to clear your browser history.

Welcome to the Democratic Republic of America :þ

At least I'm white. Lucky.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Valerie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 am

Lia S wrote:Wikiquote says this one is disputed, but someone must have said it at some point...

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.

Preparing my phone for the possibility of an illegal search is... interesting. Removing all social media because gods know what someone I vaguely know might write at the wrong moment. Removing my main email. Moving things that send notifications to my gmail account to my main email. Removing the apps that connect to my online address book and calendar because they use a password that also gives access to a whole lot of my files. Removing all removed stuff from the play store list of things to easily reinstall so it looks like it was never there in the first place. "What? Oh, I use my computer for all that stuff. No, I have no idea what my email password is, it's a long automatically generated thing that I saved."

The chances of a scanner that has a "male" and "female" setting not liking my body are pretty high. The next thing to happen should be a patdown and sending me on my way. Of course, that's what usually happens, but there are horror stories, and I'd like to avoid becoming the protagonist of the next one. So the less there is to look at in a "show us your phone or we'll send you back / make you miss your flight / hold you for hours while you really need to be somewhere else" situation, the better.

Useful to know: Asking you to unlock your phone with your fingerprint is not illegal like asking you for a password or pattern is. So disable that, or switch off your phone, or use the wrong finger five times before crossing the border so it won't accept further tries. Also make sure to rub your screen to hide traces of your pass pattern.

And remember to clear your browser history.

Welcome to the Democratic Republic of America :þ

At least I'm white. Lucky.

I am so, so sorry.

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Previous

Return to General Discussion