Politics!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Politics!

Postby Lia S » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:36 pm

They’re being clever, though. If you read more than the title and the donation button, it will be obvious the site is not what it appears to be at first glance, so they can probably get away with. On the other hand, they’re not so sure they can get away with it, because they’re giving refunds to people who got tricked.

So I guess the result will be that the NRCC lowered the Republicans to the level of the scum that runs phishing sites (and apparently Chrome gives a phishing warning when you visit them :) ), but no big legal issues will come from it. From over here in Europe it’s difficult to tell whether they weren’t already at that level of scumminess.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby thebitterfig » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:01 pm

I mean, isn't Ted Cruz just an elaborate phishing scam? What was the point of the shut down except as a fundraiser?
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Valerie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:57 am

tATu performed at the Olympics opening ceremony. http://www.people.com/people/package/ar ... 00,00.html
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby CEOIII » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:53 pm

*raising an eyebrow* .....with guns at their backs?
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Valerie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:39 pm

CEOIII wrote:*raising an eyebrow* .....with guns at their backs?

Well, considering how Russia is very anti-gay and their whole thing was that they advocated for (and pretended to be) lesbians... I kinda doubt anyone made them.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby CEOIII » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:07 pm

Because Putin isn't the type of person to have tATu brought to him and say, "I'm catching a LOT of shit for all the anti-gay stuff I've been doing. And having a gay-friendly group perform at the Sochi opening ceremony would help repair my image, if only a little bit. So here it is. You have two options.

*he pulls a gun out of his desk* Option 1 involves an unfortunate accident. Would you like to hear option 2?"

He wouldn't do that. Nah. That's silly talk.
CEOIII

Postby Hexr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 am

CEOIII wrote:Because Putin isn't the type of person to have tATu brought to him and say, "I'm catching a LOT of shit for all the anti-gay stuff I've been doing. And having a gay-friendly group perform at the Sochi opening ceremony would help repair my image, if only a little bit. So here it is. You have two options.

*he pulls a gun out of his desk* Option 1 involves an unfortunate accident. Would you like to hear option 2?"

He wouldn't do that. Nah. That's silly talk.

The train of thought sounds plausible, but I doubt he offered those choices. t.A.T.u. are artists, after all. And being able to perform in the Olympics opening ceremony is kind of a huge deal.
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
Hexr

Postby CEOIII » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:58 am

I guess it's possible they did it of their own free will, but if they say otherwise a few years down the road it' won't shock me.

Speaking of honors, who actually lit the torch? I missed the opening ceremonies.
CEOIII

Postby Valerie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:40 pm

A friend shared this on Facebook. It's a petition to get non-binary gender options on legal documents in the US. I thought a few of you might be interested in signing.

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Valerie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 am

Valerie wrote:A friend shared this on Facebook. It's a petition to get non-binary gender options on legal documents in the US. I thought a few of you might be interested in signing.

Just gonna bump this up there to make sure people see it. >_> And then I'll shut up about it, I promise.

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby mindstalk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Reading the Indians and rape thing, if you chase links you get to http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ff- ... z2sdgAEqqu and

"The issue stemmed from a 1978 Supreme Court opinion that prohibited tribes from exercising criminal jurisdiction over non-tribal defendants. This included domestic violence and dating violence committed by non-Indian abusers against their Indian spouses, intimate partners and dating partners.

Even a violent crime committed by a non-Indian husband against his Indian wife — in the presence of her Indian children and in their home on the Indian reservation — could not be prosecuted by the tribe.

In most cases, Valenzuela said, his officers would ask federal officials to file charges, but that rarely came to pass — and only in the most violent of cases."

Coincidentally I'd skimmed the Wikipedia FBI page recently, and it mentioned the FBI having primary jurisdiction over reservation law enforcement; the tribal police and courts have limited power, including only being able to sentence up to 3 years. The article seems to match that -- in theory you'd go to the FBI with your rape complaint. In practice... resources aren't allocated much to reservations.
mindstalk

Postby Valerie » Wed May 28, 2014 10:44 pm

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 pm

So basically, Fuck Indiana.

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2015/03/in ... i-gay.html
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/pence-s ... eedom-bill

However bad Joss Whedon could be, Mike Pence is certainly 10,000 times worse.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Pink Freud » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:25 am

Has anyone registered Hillaryis45.com yet? Because if past experience is any indicator it could possibly be the most profitable resource of batshit crazy anywhere or anytime in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, I'll vote for her, but damn were a lot of her supporters off the rails in 2008.
Pink Freud

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 am

Pink Freud wrote:Has anyone registered Hillaryis45.com yet?

Yes, back in February 2008. Ditto "hillaryis45.net". But "hillaryis45.info" is still free if you want to do your own thing. :mrgreen:
Bo Lindbergh

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion