Wanna share recipes?

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Wanna share recipes?

Postby Valerie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:00 am

I made truffles and took them to work yesterday. Everybody liked them. :D
(Well, the delivery guy and I both thought they were too rich, but my cousin and the dishwasher ended up eating like four each.)

Anyway, they were super easy and not very expensive to make, so I wanted to share how to make them in case any of you were interested.

Easy Chocolate Truffles

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup DaVinci syrup, any flavor. (I used English Toffee, but Raspberry, Vanilla, or Hazelnut would be really good.)
- 11 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used a 12oz bag of chocolate chips.)
- 4 tbsp. of margarine or butter (about half a stick)
- 1 cup chocolate shavings/tiny chocolate chips/sprinkles to cover the outside

Microwave the first three ingredients for one minute. Stir. Microwave in short bursts and stir repeatedly until smooth and glossy. Put in the fridge for two-to-three hours, until it reaches the consistency of fudge. At that point, roll the mixture into little balls, then roll the balls around in your fourth ingredient. (It'll be sticky, so covering the outside is pretty important.) They'll keep in the refrigerator for about one month or at room temperature for about five days.

Notes:
Obviously, the quality and richness and etc. of the candy will depend on the chocolate used. You could do white chocolate, dark chocolate, whatever you think you would like.

Breakdown of prices (not including staples):
(Please note that my prices are in USD.)
The syrup is $7.99 for a 24oz bottle. (There are eight ounces in a cup, so this is three cups.) The cost for 1/4 cup of this syrup is about $0.67. (I think I did that right. Double-check my math if you're so inclined.)
The chocolate chips I bought were $1.99 for the 12oz bag.
Cheap chocolate sprinkles can be found for around $1-$2 in my area.

How about you guys? Any recipes?
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Re: Wanna share recipes?

Postby Artemisia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:56 am

Not so much a recipe as a technique.

I love to make Chicken Fingers, but instead of deep frying them, I light fry them in oil. I first dust them with rice flour, then dip them in an egg/milk mixture then in crumbled up rice crispies. Then I fry them gently.

They come out crispy and delicious :)
There was a girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead, and when she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was homicidal.
I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife.
Artemisia

Postby thebitterfig » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:12 pm

lemon curd: whisk 2 eggs with 1/2 cup each sugar and lemon juice in a double boiler over medium low heat. whisk in 1/2 cup of butter in small pieces, whisking in one piece at a time. never stop whisking. chill when done.

ps. this exact phrasing used to me my sig in some forums for a while.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby sun tzu » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:26 am

A little Middle-Eastern recipe called tahini.
Get some sesame cream (actually, that's also called tahina/tahina, but it's the raw form). Put some in bowl (about...a quarter of the blowl's volume? A third?). Add in some lemon juice, add in some water, optionally some spices like cumin if that floats your boat. Mix with a fork until the whole thing is uniform. Serve and use as dip for various sorts of bread. Voilà!
The actual proportion of the ingredients is up to you, and open to a lot of variations. Whenever my mom makes some for our European friends, they love it and want the recipe. Mom says that even so, she feels slightly embarrassed about making it for guests, because it's so simple - like making them an omelette. :D
sun tzu

Postby Trefle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Not particularly a recipe rather than a general technique, but I found out that you can substitute potatoes for cream and/or milk in making cream soups as far as you're using a blender.

It's far cheaper and they are much more filling. :P
Trefle

Postby Valerie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Trefle wrote:Not particularly a recipe rather than a general technique, but I found out that you can substitute potatoes for cream and/or milk in making cream soups as far as you're using a blender.

Ooh, that sounds useful. I assume you peel and boil the potatoes, then mash them and run them through the blender with a little water?

How's it taste?

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Trefle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Valerie wrote:
Trefle wrote:Not particularly a recipe rather than a general technique, but I found out that you can substitute potatoes for cream and/or milk in making cream soups as far as you're using a blender.

Ooh, that sounds useful. I assume you peel and boil the potatoes, then mash them and run them through the blender with a little water?

How's it taste?

Without the mashing, although I guess that depends on the strength of your blender. My blender is an awesome one (that sounds like I have a jet engine in my kitchen), so I can skip the mashing AND boiling, sometimes.

I usually put the entire soup; so not only the potatoes, but including other vegetables, and the stock, in exchange of water. I'm making cream soups after all.
But your described method -can- be used too; in fact, I think you can use that method to make a thickener of sort to use in other dishes. That's brilliant, Val :D!

Depends on what you're cooking. With broccoli and cauliflowers and green peas, it complemented the flavor nicely (the not-so-sweetness of potatoes worked well with those two vegetables); but with carrots, onions, pumpkins and tomatoes, it tend to lessen the flavor a bit.

Oh; so far I had little success with mushrooms. But it might be just me.
Trefle

Postby Valerie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey, so, I'm looking at this now. It says to use corn syrup, but if I wanted to flavor it (I'm thinking white chocolate with raspberry), would raspberry syrup work as a substitute for the corn syrup, or would I need some of each? You people are sciency, help me out.

One of my ex-coworkers is getting married, so I wanted to make her one or two of these roses and some raspberry-white-chocolate truffles. It'll be all white and pink and cute and delicious~ X3 And I can get a cute little box and a ribbon and ohmuhgaw!

As usual.

Valerie

Postby thebitterfig » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Valerie wrote:Hey, so, I'm looking at this now. It says to use corn syrup, but if I wanted to flavor it (I'm thinking white chocolate with raspberry), would raspberry syrup work as a substitute for the corn syrup, or would I need some of each? You people are sciency, help me out.

One of my ex-coworkers is getting married, so I wanted to make her one or two of these roses and some raspberry-white-chocolate truffles. It'll be all white and pink and cute and delicious~ X3 And I can get a cute little box and a ribbon and ohmuhgaw!

Hrm. Corn syrup seems a bit thicker than most raspberry syrup, at least I think it would be. Plus, white chocolate lacks the starches of traditional chocolate. My worry is that the dough/clay won't really hold up as well. However, I'd bet it'd still taste great, so make ahead in case it doesn't wind up solid and you have to change the plans. The other think I think I'd do is use baking white chocolate, rather than chips. A lot of white chocolate chips are pretty fakey-vanilla, and I think I've seen baking bar type white choc which is probably a little realer.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 pm

thebitterfig wrote:
Valerie wrote:Hey, so, I'm looking at this now. It says to use corn syrup, but if I wanted to flavor it (I'm thinking white chocolate with raspberry), would raspberry syrup work as a substitute for the corn syrup, or would I need some of each? You people are sciency, help me out.

Hrm. Corn syrup seems a bit thicker than most raspberry syrup, at least I think it would be. Plus, white chocolate lacks the starches of traditional chocolate. My worry is that the dough/clay won't really hold up as well. However, I'd bet it'd still taste great, so make ahead in case it doesn't wind up solid and you have to change the plans. The other think I think I'd do is use baking white chocolate, rather than chips. A lot of white chocolate chips are pretty fakey-vanilla, and I think I've seen baking bar type white choc which is probably a little realer.

If the substitution doesn't work, you might also try mixing the raspberry with the corn syrup, which might give it closer to the correct consistency. Play with the amount of each until you find one that works for what you want.

You might also look into other ways of thickening the raspberry to the correct consistency, if mixing the two doesn't appeal.
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:28 am

Here's a simple but tasty family dish I break out when we're too weary to make anything complicated. All the ingredients, save arguably the Parmesan, has a shelf-life of eternity, so I can be sure to have everything handy. Takes less than 20 minutes. It's also vegetarian if that's your thing. If it has a "real" name, it's been long supplanted in our family by what I and my brothers called it as kids: "dirty spaghetti."

Cook a half pound of spaghetti, with a dash or two of salt in the water.

While that's boiling, pour 1/4 cup olive oil in a frying pan with four cloves of garlic, minced. (You can find several kinds of pre-minced garlic at the store; I prefer the fresher variety suspended in oil but the dry works in a pinch. Or, if you're ambitious, mince it yourself.) Turn on low heat and stir every half-minute or so until they start to brown, then remove the pan from the heat.

Mix together a half-cup of Parmesan cheese, a teaspoon of Italian spices (can be found by that name in the spice rack at the store), and a couple dashes each of salt and pepper.

Your spaghetti should be cooked by now. Drain it. Then add everything else and mix together thoroughly.

Serve with salad or other vegetable to round out the meal. I'll often double the recipe and have some leftovers for later, but as is it'll feed three (two if they're highly hungry).
FlyingFish

Postby Trefle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 am

FlyingFish wrote:Here's a simple but tasty family dish I break out when we're too weary to make anything complicated. All the ingredients, save arguably the Parmesan, has a shelf-life of eternity, so I can be sure to have everything handy. Takes less than 20 minutes. It's also vegetarian if that's your thing. If it has a "real" name, it's been long supplanted in our family by what I and my brothers called it as kids: "dirty spaghetti."

Cook a half pound of spaghetti, with a dash or two of salt in the water.

While that's boiling, pour 1/4 cup olive oil in a frying pan with four cloves of garlic, minced. (You can find several kinds of pre-minced garlic at the store; I prefer the fresher variety suspended in oil but the dry works in a pinch. Or, if you're ambitious, mince it yourself.) Turn on low heat and stir every half-minute or so until they start to brown, then remove the pan from the heat.

Mix together a half-cup of Parmesan cheese, a teaspoon of Italian spices (can be found by that name in the spice rack at the store), and a couple dashes each of salt and pepper.

Your spaghetti should be cooked by now. Drain it. Then add everything else and mix together thoroughly.

Serve with salad or other vegetable to round out the meal. I'll often double the recipe and have some leftovers for later, but as is it'll feed three (two if they're highly hungry).

MMM...Sounds delicious.
Yes, I can see it being eaten with salad.
-OR- being part of the salad, after chilled. With garlic mayo / french dressing (for the usual) or soy sauce with Asian-style salad, for a healthier alternative.
Trefle

Postby svenman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 pm

FlyingFish wrote:If it has a "real" name, it's been long supplanted in our family by what I and my brothers called it as kids: "dirty spaghetti."

I'd say it's a quick and dirty (yeah, intended) version of spaghetti al pesto.

If you want it even quicker, ready-made and bottled pesto alla genovese, or, for variety, pesto rosso has a fairly long shelf-life too. Though "make spaghetti, add pesto, mix, serve" isn't much of a recipe, admittedly. :)
svenman

Return to General Discussion