Wow. o_o; Well, it is almost Halloween.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Wow. o_o; Well, it is almost Halloween.

Postby Valerie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:56 pm

'Sup?

I just read this. It's a Let's Play of Animal Crossing.

It is distorted and disturbing and weird and I loved it. So I wanted to share the disturbance with you. You're welcome.

(Look, I obsessed over Cyndi. You can't be too surprised.)

So, you guys have any scary stories that you'd like to share? Preferably something that can be read in one shot, but longer stuff is fine, too. For example, I really like Silent Hill: Promise, even though it hasn't updated in like eighty years. I've never played the Silent Hill games, but I'm convinced by this comic that I would like them.

TL;DR: I require creepy-pasta.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Re: Wow. o_o; Well, it is almost Halloween.

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Well I wrote some bits of Shawn-and-Gus in Silent Hill the other day, at Wolfy's prompting, and it turned out quite dark, but I don't know if that's the sort of thing you're interested in?
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Valerie wrote:'For example, I really like Silent Hill: Promise, even though it hasn't updated in like eighty years. I've never played the Silent Hill games, but I'm convinced by this comic that I would like them.

Only do the Let's Plays of them. The series went downhill after the third game. Downhill, and into a dark cave that good things never come out of. Especially Shattered Memories, a "re-imagining" (said in a mocking, extended tone) of the first game. And the movie of the series. And that they felt that despite the fact that first game spells things out pretty clearly, they "needed" to do a prequel to it. In fact, it's a little sad when a Japan-only (last I checked) rail-shooter Arcade game manages to nail the feel of the series better than all the games after 3 did.

But the LPs, especially VoidBurger's, do slightly redeem where the series goes bad. So those are at least worth checking out. So are the Freelance Astronauts (under the name of Maxwell Adams on the archive, but you'd have to hit them up on Youtube, since their old Viddler videos are hard to get to play properly), ChipCheezum and General Ironicus, the Fire Emblem LPs - there's a surprising amount of writing talent that sprung from SomethingAwful, come to it...
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Axel » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:59 am

If you don't mind some eeew with your disturbing you can try some Rule of Rose LPs.
Axel

Postby Valerie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Bubbles, you can certainly post it. Dark is always welcome. <3

Zano, I might take your advice and read the LPs. I'll probably never have the time/money to play the actual games, and I can get the story just as well that way, probably. (Bleh, on second thought, I can't watch VoidBurger's or read Earth's. Are there any LPs of this game without constant snark and silliness? I want scary, not mocky. D: ) (And yes, I realize that commentary like that is usually the point of LPs.)

Axel wrote:If you don't mind some eeew with your disturbing you can try some Rule of Rose LPs.

What kind of ew? Like "gore" ew or like "feces" ew?
Last edited by Valerie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby Valerie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Ooh, while we're at it, how about some scary/suspenseful flash games and the like, too?

Alice is Dead is a mindfuck wrapped in a distorted "Alice in Wonderland" frame. I know that Wonderland has been done to death, but this is good, I promise.

Hood is by the same person. Myosotis is by another person that worked on Alice is Dead.

As usual.

Valerie

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Valerie wrote:Zano, I might take your advice and read the LPs. I'll probably never have the time/money to play the actual games, and I can get the story just as well that way, probably. (Bleh, on second thought, I can't watch VoidBurger's or read Earth's. Are there any LPs of this game without constant snark and silliness? I want scary, not mocky. D: ) (And yes, I realize that commentary like that is usually the point of LPs.)

If it hadn't been for VoidBurger and Bob's snark though, I would have completely lost my sanity to the sheer awfulness of the SH movie. It was just... that badly, badly written, directed, and executed. X.x (Their Rifftrax kept me from banging my forehead against the desk too many times. And her snark on the Shattered Memories game is highly deserved, because it's not scary at all. In fact, in a game series that usually rewards you for exploration*, ShatMemz punishes you for it by putting you on track for an ending you probably won't want or like. Fistf*ck Sam Barlow!((the "writer" behind that "reimagining")) :P)

*And is supposed to give you jump scares; of which there are none in ShatMemz, so that's another way it fails. So she managed to accomplish one thing there - she played it, so I would never have to. For this, I sacrifice a paper goat each Halloween, in gratitude.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Twitcher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:05 pm

I love Shattered Memories. Well, I at least like the playthroughs I've watched. I also like the heavy, sometimes very unself-aware snark in a lotta playthroughs: "Oh. I got the princess dress. I need to look at women's asses more." Yes, the psychology involved is stultifyingly oversimplied, but the endings... some of them make my skin crawl.
Twitcher

Postby FlyingFish » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 pm

For scary gaming, may I suggest:

Download Slender (it's free).
Play Slender (one playthrough takes about 10-20 minutes).
Never. Sleep. Again. ( :shock: )
FlyingFish

Postby UnstoppableTaboo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:43 pm

That Animal Crossing LP is one of my favourite things on the internet <3

Speaking of spooky games, might I suggest Yume Nikki? It's maybe a bit more surreal and at times trippy than scary, but there's some genuinely... disturbing... imagery. It's definitely something one has to experience though, it's not like many other games out there.
UnstoppableTaboo

Postby Twitcher » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 am

The Suffering, the F.E.A.R. Series, (F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. II: Project Origin, and F.3.A.R) and ... the Portal series. I was late to the party with all of these franchises, but with Portal, I wasn't too late. Everyone was buzzing about the cake, of course, but when I watched the ending, I was absolutely mystified as to why Valve left what was a genuine Haunted House story unfinished, and why their initial intent was to keep it that way. Any fool could see that Portal was both the beginning and middle of a larger story, especially with GLaDOS' bitter existentialist ranting: SPOILER: "You're curious about what happens after you die, right? Guess what? I know."
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:51 am

Does the fact that I am in a Slender Man Mythos ARG count for anything?

If anyone wants to view what I've done so far just look up the words "Crow Maiden Vlogs" and I appologize in advance for my horrible acting. DX
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Axel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Valerie wrote:Bubbles, you can certainly post it. Dark is always welcome. <3

Zano, I might take your advice and read the LPs. I'll probably never have the time/money to play the actual games, and I can get the story just as well that way, probably. (Bleh, on second thought, I can't watch VoidBurger's or read Earth's. Are there any LPs of this game without constant snark and silliness? I want scary, not mocky. D: ) (And yes, I realize that commentary like that is usually the point of LPs.)

Axel wrote:If you don't mind some eeew with your disturbing you can try some Rule of Rose LPs.

What kind of ew? Like "gore" ew or like "feces" ew?

Dead rotents. Other scary games: Bioshock (the first one), Thief, Thief: Deadly Shadows, System Shock 2, Amnesia.

Edit: You could also try Shadow Man. It's not flash, but it is very much free. You'll find it on abandonia.com.
Axel

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Why not get into the Hallowe'en spirit with these classic cartoon shorts:

The Skeleton Dance (Ub Iwerks, Disney, 1929)

Mickey Mouse and Pluto in The Mad Doctor (David Hand, Disney, 1933)

Swing You Sinners! (Dave Fleischer, Fleischer Studioes, 1930)

Betty Boop in Minnie the Moocher (Dave Fleischer, Fleischer Studios, 1932)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Next

Return to General Discussion