You Heard It Here First...

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: You Heard It Here First...

Postby bridgetvoid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:03 am

timemonkey wrote:One thing I've been wondering, would it not be possible to continue the comic but just let go of the restrictive format? Instead of forcing focuss just let things flow naturally with characters coming in and out as befits the story?

agreed, just because there was an awesome story buried beneath the gimmicks
bridgetvoid

Postby TCampbell » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:22 am

bridgetvoid wrote:
timemonkey wrote:One thing I've been wondering, would it not be possible to continue the comic but just let go of the restrictive format? Instead of forcing focuss just let things flow naturally with characters coming in and out as befits the story?

It would be possible for some hypothetical other writer to do it, but not for me. The challenge evoked by the structure was actually one of the reasons I was able to make QUILTBAG last as long as it did.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby bridgetvoid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:19 pm

TCampbell wrote:
bridgetvoid wrote:

It would be possible for some hypothetical other writer to do it, but not for me. The challenge evoked by the structure was actually one of the reasons I was able to make QUILTBAG last as long as it did.

do you think it's just too hard for you to be in the headspace of women in college now? for whatever reason, and maybe i misread the farewell, i thought the structure was why you were stopping.
bridgetvoid

Postby TCampbell » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I don't think I worked enough for the structure to feel like an organic part of the story. I also don't feel like I worked enough on the characters to really fall in love with them.

I didn't do enough work at the start of this thing, period, and the reason why is that I really wasn't doing it for me as well as for my audience-- it was done as something I thought my audience would like, but not something I had a burning internal drive to do. I need to keep that fire going. I've got it with Guilded Age and "Webmasters," so I know it's not gone.

It's not college-age women who are the problem, exactly-- Jo of "Webmasters" is one of those, and while she is shallow, I feel like I know her pretty well.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby bridgetvoid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 pm

TCampbell wrote:I don't think I worked enough for the structure to feel like an organic part of the story. I also don't feel like I worked enough on the characters to really fall in love with them.

I didn't do enough work at the start of this thing, period, and the reason why is that I really wasn't doing it for me as well as for my audience-- it was done as something I thought my audience would like, but not something I had a burning internal drive to do. I need to keep that fire going. I've got it with Guilded Age and "Webmasters," so I know it's not gone.

It's not college-age women who are the problem, exactly-- Jo of "Webmasters" is one of those, and while she is shallow, I feel like I know her pretty well.

yeah i get that, i am sure there was some internal drive to get this out quickly so that the P&A audience hadn't wandered away or forgotten the characters. i totally admit i'm just bummed to not learn more about Lisa because I found her earlier incarnation (and even when she turned into a channer) to be entirely fascinating for some reason
bridgetvoid

Postby timemonkey » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:09 pm

If you ever feel the urge to revisit this universe but with different characters I'd love to see more fo Fred and/or Daphne, they're established but never got much focuss in the past so it'd be nice to see either of them fleshed out.
timemonkey

Previous

Return to General Discussion