You Heard It Here First...

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: You Heard It Here First...

Postby brasca » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 am

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:
Bardlp wrote:
Lia S wrote:
Bardlp wrote:Sorry to see QUITLBAG go, but I support your decision.

:lol: I’m glad this sad news at least led to a typo that made me giggle.

I hate everything! :D

I sort of think that was DCorsetto's intention, sort of;
Clarice was supposed to be more 'librarian' and less 'dom

She's a pro-dom, she gets paid to beat on people in sexy ways, and she doesn't get how safewords work. Other aspects of her character aside (I actually quite like the not-knowing-how-to-find-a-bottom-who-is-also-submissive-and-boyfriend-material subplot), that's a pretty huge problem. If your bottom reds out it means "If you do that one more time I'm coming down off this cross and tearing your ovaries out with my bare hands", not "Oh, okay, I'm satisfied now". That's like being a mechanic and not knowing that if the car blows up you may have done something wrong.

I've always felt that Danielle wrote Clarice as someone who ended up getting some pretty skewed ideas of what dom and sub are (after all, she hangs around with -Candy-, who is pretty messed up), not that the author didn't know it herself. Clarice has just always struck me as someone who only ever read a website or two on it , decided that's who and what she was, and never bothered to check further into it (I can't help but think of a rather infamous example elsewhere on the web, where someone who has some very narrow and rigid definitions for sexualities put up a web site that lots of people went to and thought it was a help for their confusion - only to end up needing a lot of therapy, thanks to this self-absorbed person.)

Since my background is very dull I tend to believe Corsetto even if she's not entirely accurate. People love to nitpick little things. That and Clarice is my favorite. What can I tell you nerd girls are my thing. :wink:

Anyways. I'm sorry to read that this will all be coming to an end shortly. I know it did last year, but I'm referring more to the community since Penny and Aggie and Fans ended. Webmasters has a limited run and now this. For me this had become a routine for last 4 years and a little slice of home after moving away.

I measure QUILTBAG against Girls With Slingshots and Dumbing of Age, and those strips just completely kick its ass. (If you're looking for enlightened perspective on modern sexuality and/or great characterization and dramedy in a college setting, I'd look there.)

I'll admit to being captivated in their stories on a level not seen since Penny & Aggie, but I didn't hold that against T Campbell since this was a new project and figured it would take some time to get back into the swing of things. I liked the stories and this was still one of the webcomics I regularly read. That being said I think he painted himself into a corner with each letter of Quiltbag representing a chapter. It was clever, but unless you have a large community of intersex people on campus which is unlikely it would be an awkwardly short chapter. I also didn't hold it against Campbell for not being the most well read expert on the QUILTBAG community just as I don't hold it against Corsetto's lack of knowledge about BDSM. The best experts in the world can also be the dullest storytellers and that's why I come here. I want to read a story and if I learn anything new about people I don't know about so much the better. I'm not going to take Quiltbag as the authority on QUILTBAG, but it's a nice introduction.
brasca

Postby Arky » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I'd completely forgotten about the "Q" and "U" chapter gimmicks, mostly because they're so broad it doesn't really do anything. I can see why trying to continue it would both:

a) be daunting; and
b) suck

As would effectively needing to wait until the end of the story to deal with male gay characters who aren't bisexual. If you were going to continue the story, you'd have to drop the gimmick for sure. The story couldn't flow naturally if it had to deal with different sexualities in turn instead of all at once.

I can't say I've been as interested in this project as I was in P&A, and it's probably because the theme was dominating the characters. We already know Sara and Lisa and Iseul but everyone else was basically being defined by their sexuality and experiences relating directly to it.

I hope we at least get a PS about what is meant to have happened to Hank so we aren't eternally wondering!
Arky

Postby Pumblenuts » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 pm

I would indulge in lamentation, wailing to the heavens, beating at my breast and clawing at my clothes and hair, if I thought it would make any difference.

Then again, I might just do that anyway. :(

I suppose I can't complain about the free entertainment. Hopefully there's such a fan base and history of this comic that another artist/writer team would take up the story. I <3 the artwork but would accept other visualizations of the Lisarahverse.

Good talking with you all. To the future. {tip o' the hat}
Pumblenuts

Postby MeganKoumori » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Doug Walker retires the Nostalgia Critic and now Quiltbag is ending. I believe Professor Farnsworth can sum up how I'm feeling...
Alice Macher wrote:I hereby found the new religion of MeganKoumorism. Bow down, ye faithful, and worship her!

MeganKoumori's Hunchback Fansite Here
MeganKoumori

Postby timemonkey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:
Bardlp wrote:
Lia S wrote:
Bardlp wrote:Sorry to see QUITLBAG go, but I support your decision.

:lol: I’m glad this sad news at least led to a typo that made me giggle.

I hate everything! :D

I sort of think that was DCorsetto's intention, sort of;
Clarice was supposed to be more 'librarian' and less 'dom

She's a pro-dom, she gets paid to beat on people in sexy ways, and she doesn't get how safewords work. Other aspects of her character aside (I actually quite like the not-knowing-how-to-find-a-bottom-who-is-also-submissive-and-boyfriend-material subplot), that's a pretty huge problem. If your bottom reds out it means "If you do that one more time I'm coming down off this cross and tearing your ovaries out with my bare hands", not "Oh, okay, I'm satisfied now". That's like being a mechanic and not knowing that if the car blows up you may have done something wrong.

I've always felt that Danielle wrote Clarice as someone who ended up getting some pretty skewed ideas of what dom and sub are (after all, she hangs around with -Candy-, who is pretty messed up), not that the author didn't know it herself. Clarice has just always struck me as someone who only ever read a website or two on it , decided that's who and what she was, and never bothered to check further into it (I can't help but think of a rather infamous example elsewhere on the web, where someone who has some very narrow and rigid definitions for sexualities put up a web site that lots of people went to and thought it was a help for their confusion - only to end up needing a lot of therapy, thanks to this self-absorbed person.)

I don't think Clarice is like that, she seems to have been doing the dominatrix thing for quite a while and very much enjoying it. It's not the character's fault the author misunderstands something and usually all that is required is to let the author know they have erred.

Maybe Clarice uses a different system for her sessions, several words that mean different things, and she did point out the client she was with at the time just liked using it.

I also consider Candy joining the club, and her friendship with Clarice to be one of the worst moves of the enitre comic and that putting an attempted rapist in position as a Dom is pretty horrifying. But again, I place that as a move based on the author'[s lack of understanding of the Dom/sub culture, she thought it would be a healthy outlet and character development, as well as funny.
timemonkey

Postby Doc Harleen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Gutted. Just gutted. I know I haven't been on the forum much as of late, but the strips and this forum has meant a lot to me. I'll be sad to see the comic go before it was due, and it's all the more painful when it happens to one of my favourites (same thing happened to K. Sandra Stanley's Other People's Business). I wish you all the best in your future projects, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the community doesn't fade away. (I like you guys...)
Doc Harleen

Postby NobodySpecial » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Sorry to see it not pan out, T. I will be keeping my ear to the ground, though. And an eye on the forums.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
NobodySpecial

Postby FlyingFish » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:42 am

MeganKoumori wrote:Doug Walker retires the Nostalgia Critic and now Quiltbag is ending. I believe Professor Farnsworth can sum up how I'm feeling...
AND City of Heroes is closing.
:cry:
FlyingFish

Postby Bardlp » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:14 am

timemonkey wrote:I also consider Candy joining the club, and her friendship with Clarice to be one of the worst moves of the enitre comic and that putting an attempted rapist in position as a Dom is pretty horrifying. But again, I place that as a move based on the author'[s lack of understanding of the Dom/sub culture, she thought it would be a healthy outlet and character development, as well as funny.

The really horrifying thing is that that happens. Fetlife, a website sort of like Facebook for kinksters, pretty regularly tells people that if they want abusers to stop contacting them they (the end user) should go to cops because Fetlife isn't going to get involved in "he-said-she-saids" (even if someone is violating the ToS). In meatspace, if the abuser is well established in the community and the victim isn't (and sometimes if he is), there isn't much for a victim to do except leave the community or go to the cops.

So ... yeah. I see where you're coming from, but I think Danielle hit that one out of the park -- even if it was a happy accident.
Bardlp

Postby Trefle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Bardlp, that happens IRL...? ....Brr. The RL drama of S&M community.....that's...terrifying.

Hmm, I certainly didn't consider that before; that she might have been inept in her professional dominatrix job (regardless of what she likes)
OTOH, Danielle Corsetto has been known to make characters with...mm.. less-than-perfect views on sexuality and dealt with them with a human way; whether it Erin's permission for Jamie, Darren's promiscuity, or just...Hazel.
In a way that can be considered part of Clarice's character; in fact, it may be in character for her to act like that, as Zano had said.
Trefle

Postby Mr. Brightside » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 pm

I hope we've all learned a valuable lesson here: never compliment anyone.
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Mr. Brightside wrote:I hope we've all learned a valuable lesson here: never compliment anyone.

So does this mean we get to deliberately go in the opposite direction from compliment? Or would that just be too much?
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Bardlp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 am

Trefle; It happens everywhere. I'm just more disappointed in the kink community than in the vanilla community because we talk big about responsibility and consent and empowerment -- and then totally fail to be any better than anyone else at living up to it.

Good observation, Mr. Brightside! *is later arrested due to anti-moral-of-the-day behaviour*
Bardlp

Postby Trefle » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:33 am

Bardlp wrote:Trefle; It happens everywhere. I'm just more disappointed in the kink community than in the vanilla community because we talk big about responsibility and consent and empowerment -- and then totally fail to be any better than anyone else at living up to it.

Good observation, Mr. Brightside! *is later arrested due to anti-moral-of-the-day behaviour*

yeah; it's sad. I thought the S&M community would be more responsible and consenting. That'd be like a homosexual community making a sexist joke (it happens, but definitely sad / smells more of hypocrisy)

And the fact that they are expected to hold clamps and bindings and other things that may or may not be more dangerous, not to mention the excess restraint and control over someone's sex / pleasure / worse, LIFE, than ordinary people, that is quite....disturbing.
Trefle

Postby Freemage » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 am

Relevant column is relevant. (It's a Pervocracy link. Pervocracy is the antithesis of work-safe, if they care about text as opposed to pictures. Also, probably assume a trigger-warning there.)
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion