The unofficial bad day thread.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

The unofficial bad day thread.

Postby NobodySpecial » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:22 am

This is to keep the happy thread and the comic threads relatively sunny.

So let me start it off with my day.

I walk into the store with the master register down. One register up, no gas, no credit cards. That doesn't get resolved until 12:30 AM.

Also, seems the owner bought the inventory of a store that was being foreclosed on and decided last night was moving night. So now we have enough product for TWO stores in an area that barely fit our normal inventory, and on top of that we had a couple of big deliveries. It looks like a warehouse blew up in my backroom. Since I am fat and lazy, this makes me very unhappy all night. Then, of course, comes the morning, when many of the customers are...shall we say...mentally occupied. Plus I have a sinus headache and a bad leg.

Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
NobodySpecial

Re: The unofficial bad day thread.

Postby Otaking » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I got my wife home from the hospital last night, which was really great, of course no progress but just another action to get her out of constant vomiting and pain.

I got a knock on the door at 4am which was a police officer, looking for the property owner (who is my father..it's 53 acres and we each have a house on it). A car had hit our culvert by my driveway, flew completely over our fence at an almost parallel angle (we knew since the fence was unbroken and the car was inside it) about 75 more feet, and flipped upside down with the front and back bumper areas mostly disintegrated into parts strewn over the 75 feet. The culvert is protected by 6 inch diameter steel pipes which one was cut out of from the impact along with a chunk of the guy's rim. It had also cut our electrical pole guy wires and due to the tension the pole had snapped completely in half, however it remained upright next to the lower half until the utility repaired it. The driver had crawled another 20 feet out of the car and was lying in some mud. I grabbed some bolt cutters and cut our fence to help get the guy out on a stretcher (he was lucid and talking to the medics so miraculously it looked like he'll be fine along with a little dog he had in the car..his parents came to collect his things and the dog) and cut another section to tow the wreck out. Later my father and I stayed up till 5:30 repairing the fence (we have some livestock)

Then this morning my wife needed to go back to the ER. They gave her IV pain meds and anti-nausea injections and then discharged her again..she can't keep anything down so none of her oral meds at home work and suppositories are also a problem for other reasons. We're about to go to yet another hospital two hours away to spin the wheel of ER and maybe Gastroenterology again if we can get any to see us. Otherwise we're in for maximal pain and suffering tonight with no way to control it again.

So, mostly, a typical run-of-the mill bad day for me but with the added weirdness of the wreck.
Otaking

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Delurking for this, I really need to express this.

First, I screwed up something in my personal life that probably could've been pretty good (not just once, but twice, so now I'm really feeling like a piece of shit. Not helping when I have to force myself to think about something else, either.) Also didn't need the reminder that all those years I spent getting a fine-detail understanding of right and wrong, and helping others versus helping myself, were years I missed out on the finer points of "Good thing to say, bad thing to say." Fucking lovely, I just realized: I'm a reverse Stan. Whee, way to sink lower, self.

Then the other day, I had to toss out a role-playing sourcebook I've had for a long time now, thanks to water damage. Now I'm having to go through a couple bins worth of possessions (also having to deal with water damage in said bins) - and so far the count on ruined books is 6 (plus another sourcebook. So long, Cyberpunk. =\). Some of the other items, I'm annoyed they got ruined, but it's not a huge deal. But two of those books, I've had since I was 13, and they were some real favorites of mine because my mother sent them to me during a time I had to live with my grandmother (she's retired military, I couldn't very well stay with a sitter for a good three months, so off to granny's in Virginia it was.)

And money is tight, so replacing is not really in the cards for a while. (if my Discworld books bought it, I'm saying hell with it and buying an e-reader.)

Oh, and there's the class I'm taking on Tuesday and Thursday; the teacher has no issues at all with adding more assignments to the syllabus three weeks in, nor in the future. And this, despite the fact that he still hasn't put the tests we're supposed to take, up on the site. So now I'm pretty much having to bury myself in studying and essay questions, just so I have a good excuse to continuously blow off the class (seriously, it's 90 minutes of time I could be using to better effect, as I'm ahead on the reading material he lectures on.)

My car is going to need just under $1,000 worth of repair work, thanks to the suspension, gas gauge, seatbelts in front, and brake pads all acting up, and of course, that's a grand I don't have.

Bad day? I'm having a pretty lousy couple of weeks, at the present count. It's showing no signs of abating, either.

And back to the shadows, with me.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Freemage » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 am

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:Delurking for this, I really need to express this.

First, I screwed up something in my personal life that probably could've been pretty good (not just once, but twice, so now I'm really feeling like a piece of shit. Not helping when I have to force myself to think about something else, either.) Also didn't need the reminder that all those years I spent getting a fine-detail understanding of right and wrong, and helping others versus helping myself, were years I missed out on the finer points of "Good thing to say, bad thing to say." Fucking lovely, I just realized: I'm a reverse Stan. Whee, way to sink lower, self.

Then the other day, I had to toss out a role-playing sourcebook I've had for a long time now, thanks to water damage. Now I'm having to go through a couple bins worth of possessions (also having to deal with water damage in said bins) - and so far the count on ruined books is 6 (plus another sourcebook. So long, Cyberpunk. =\). Some of the other items, I'm annoyed they got ruined, but it's not a huge deal. But two of those books, I've had since I was 13, and they were some real favorites of mine because my mother sent them to me during a time I had to live with my grandmother (she's retired military, I couldn't very well stay with a sitter for a good three months, so off to granny's in Virginia it was.)

And money is tight, so replacing is not really in the cards for a while. (if my Discworld books bought it, I'm saying hell with it and buying an e-reader.)

Oh, and there's the class I'm taking on Tuesday and Thursday; the teacher has no issues at all with adding more assignments to the syllabus three weeks in, nor in the future. And this, despite the fact that he still hasn't put the tests we're supposed to take, up on the site. So now I'm pretty much having to bury myself in studying and essay questions, just so I have a good excuse to continuously blow off the class (seriously, it's 90 minutes of time I could be using to better effect, as I'm ahead on the reading material he lectures on.)

My car is going to need just under $1,000 worth of repair work, thanks to the suspension, gas gauge, seatbelts in front, and brake pads all acting up, and of course, that's a grand I don't have.

Bad day? I'm having a pretty lousy couple of weeks, at the present count. It's showing no signs of abating, either.

And back to the shadows, with me.

You have my sincerest sympathies on the RPG books. I lost virtually my entire 1st-edition Shadowrun collection to mold. It was... painful.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:18 am

Freemage wrote:You have my sincerest sympathies on the RPG books. I lost virtually my entire 1st-edition Shadowrun collection to mold. It was... painful.

[delurk]The two novels that it hurt to lose? They were Shadowrun novels. I feel your pain, man. ;_; (mold is some of what I found *growing* in the bin, too. o.O)

Also, the count is now up to 9 novels that have been deaded(wasn't finished with the bin at the time.) One of them was the third Unschooled Wizard book, by Barbara Hambly. I just finished re-reading the first two last month, and was wondering where the third one was. That one got a sincere, loud, and emphasized "God DAMN IT!"(startled the heck out of my mother XD) when I realized I had just found it (attached to the back of a Super Nintendo game that could no longer be sold for money, to boot. R.I.P. Super Street Fighter II and Mega Man X.)[/delurk]

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 am

Not a bad day, more like a moment a couple days ago, but it keeps coming back to bug me so I thought I'd vent here.

I work in a grocery store; I think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere as well. At said store, we have 5o-lb bags of dog food for sale, as you do. A couple days ago a lady came in to purchase a bag of said dog food, and I was on front at the time (the dog food is stacked up against the front wall, for ease of access) so she was all "can you get someone to help me with this dog food?" As I was the one on front, I said "Sure, which one are you after?" and strode over to help. Her reaction? "Oh, I don't want to put you out or anything."

What? Put me out of how? Doing my job? What? What would you have me do instead? Leave the front (which I'm not allowed to do), go find one of my (male) coworkers, make them stop what they're doing, to come up and help with a bag of dog food I've no trouble with helping with in the first place?

Help me out here, I don't see what you're asking.

The basic gist of her objection was that, as a lady person, I'm not expected to be able to handle a 5o-lb bag. I know this because I have to deal with it every time I help someone with dog food, because no one thinks a lady person should be able to lift that comfortably. Hey, guess what? I might be pathetically out of shape, but even I am not so weak that I am not capable of lifting a paltry fifty pounds. I would not offer to help, in fact, if I could not lift such a paltry weight, so stop thinking I've just got something to prove (was actually accused of this once. "Don't hurt yourself just to prove something to me").

(And the joke's on you, customer lady, because both of my other coworkers that night were lady people as well. So ha.)

All right, I feel a little better now. Carry on.
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Valerie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:Delurking for this, I really need to express this.

Well, hey, at least you can learn something from it? If it's something that you said, you know not to say things like it anymore? I dunno.

My day actually hasn't been that bad so far, just struggling with the computer, still. I ran Malwarebytes again, but it didn't seem to do anything, and I still can't reinstall Eset. The internet connection is up and down, which is a problem because I really need to register for a food management course and register to vote. I think it's because my younger sister is here, so there are like four people on the computers and the connection is just sick of our lazy asses and wants us to go outside or read a book or something.

So I took the hint and am reading "The Tale of One Bad Rat." S'pretty good so far, I think.

Anyway, since the internet is obviously working at this exact moment, I'll see about registering for those classes now

Bubbles: I'm dealing with a lot of sexist BS at work lately, too. All my coworkers are male and think it's perfectly fine to talk about which customers they wanna bang when I'm standing right next to them. And other things that I won't go into here,
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm

[Vanish fades]
Valerie wrote:Well, hey, at least you can learn something from it? If it's something that you said, you know not to say things like it anymore? I dunno.

Yeah, I do at least learn from my mistakes that way (and never make the same mistake twice.) Of course, said learning kind of didn't do the relationship/friendship any good by that point, but I guess that's kind of just part of being human. *shrug* Now I just hope she eventually decides "okay, maybe he's not that bad", or something. I dunno. >.> (yes, that's probably foolishly optimistic of me...)

there are like four people on the computers and the connection is just sick of our lazy asses and wants us to go outside or read a book or something.

Uh yeah, that's probably more traffic than the router can handle right now (depends on the router, but most inexpensive ones can only handle so much active traffic at once before it finally starts saying "Okay, know what? Screw you guys, I'm on strike. Time to activate 'you'd swear this was dial-up!' mode. =P")

And *facepalm!* at the coworkers. Mind if I apologize on behalf of my gender? >.<

[reapplies Vanish]

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Valerie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:[Vanish fades]
Valerie wrote:Well, hey, at least you can learn something from it? If it's something that you said, you know not to say things like it anymore? I dunno.

Yeah, I do at least learn from my mistakes that way (and never make the same mistake twice.) Of course, said learning kind of didn't do the relationship/friendship any good by that point, but I guess that's kind of just part of being human. *shrug* Now I just hope she eventually decides "okay, maybe he's not that bad", or something. I dunno. >.> (yes, that's probably foolishly optimistic of me...)

there are like four people on the computers and the connection is just sick of our lazy asses and wants us to go outside or read a book or something.

Uh yeah, that's probably more traffic than the router can handle right now (depends on the router, but most inexpensive ones can only handle so much active traffic at once before it finally starts saying "Okay, know what? Screw you guys, I'm on strike. Time to activate 'you'd swear this was dial-up!' mode. =P")

And *facepalm!* at the coworkers. Mind if I apologize on behalf of my gender? >.<

[reapplies Vanish]

It probably depends on exactly what was said/done. Some things are easier to forgive than others. Might be best to just move on and learn from it, if it was that bad.

And don't apologize for your gender. There are idiots on both sides of the fence.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Lia S » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Valerie wrote:And don't apologize for your gender. There are idiots on both sides of the fence.

As well as sitting on the fence, or climbing over it.

---

I don't know if this helps, but considering the number of people in the world, antagonizing a few of them is not something to worry about too much as long as you learn from it. At least that's what I think, my former friends may have a different opinion about my behaviors :P .
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks guys. I feel way better after just venting a little, and honestly, that's not the worst kind of customer I have to deal with. (Protip: Do not put your groceries on the belt and walk away and leave them, particularly if said belt is moving and another customer is unloading their buggy. And then call and yell at the supervisor about rude cashiers when you come back to find they've been moved out of the way.)

Yessss, the computer in the office doesn't have this site blocked*. \o/

*I'm not slacking off, I'm on break. Before anyone starts worrying or something.
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:24 pm

[Vanish ends] Stupid spell, stop fading out on me...
Valerie wrote:It probably depends on exactly what was said/done. Some things are easier to forgive than others. Might be best to just move on and learn from it, if it was that bad.

It wasn't something utterly terrible - just one of those fine-line "er, no, shouldn't do that" kind of things which, having had rather little actual experience* in this particular field [read: courting/dating/getting to know someone one is interested in/call-it-whatever-you-like] I didn't know it's on the list of "Don't. Just trust me." Which really really didn't help my standing in her regard. To the point that I got verbally (and admittedly, slightly deservedly) blasted hard enough it took a lot of my self-control to not just blast back (I have at least, learned that much - never fire back at an angry woman.)

Lia S wrote:I don't know if this helps, but considering the number of people in the world, antagonizing a few of them is not something to worry about too much as long as you learn from it. At least that's what I think, my former friends may have a different opinion about my behaviors :P .

I'd also agree on not worrying about it, and as Val said, just moving on - if it weren't for this pesky bit about my still regarding her pretty highly, and my wishing to eventually be back in her good graces. I have few enough friends as it is. >.>;;

I have also, after reading LeBubbles' and NobodySpecial's posts, got to count my good fortune that I'm not doing a grocery store/convenience store job. Mostly because around here, those stores tend to get held up, and sometimes the clerks get shot. I've gone this long without bullet holes, I'd like to go a tad longer, thankee... x.x (also, I doubt I could be nearly as patient with a boss or a customer like the ones you two have described.)

*I have had *one* relationship in my life. Yes, it lasted a long time, and we ended up building something pretty amazing - but when one only has that on one's "resume", as it were, one can end up having a lot of trouble with the rest of the stuff that goes along with dating and the like, later on. =\ I've also only had two "almosts" - one didn't happen because of sheer bad timing all-around, the other ended up dying out because she had enough issues to open a magazine shop. (and this is coming from me, a guy who knows he's got some things to work on here and there >.<)

ETA: I do just fine on friendships - it's just when the element of being attracted to someone is added, that things then get complicated. So maybe it's no real wonder that after discovering that, I've tended to keep it to myself, when I find a woman attractive. I've at least managed to keep screw-ups to a lower number than I expect, that way.

[recasts Vanish - screws up and uses X-Magic command, and out of sheer force of habit, also casts X-Zone afterwards]Oh shiiii- *poits into another dimension*

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby MudFlap33 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:[recasts Vanish - screws up and uses X-Magic command, and out of sheer force of habit, also casts X-Zone afterwards]Oh shiiii- *poits into another dimension*

Hey, better Vanish/X-Zone than Vanish/Doom!
adamiani wrote:Hormones are the real unsung heroes of this series!
MudFlap33

Postby Valerie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:[size=85]*I have had *one* relationship in my life. Yes, it lasted a long time, and we ended up building something pretty amazing - but when one only has that on one's "resume", as it were, one can end up having a lot of trouble with the rest of the stuff that goes along with dating and the like, later on. =\ I've also only had two "almosts" - one didn't happen because of sheer bad timing all-around, the other ended up dying out because she had enough issues to open a magazine shop. (and this is coming from me, a guy who knows he's got some things to work on here and there >.<)

I've "only" had five SOs, including Morgan. One of those lasted two weeks. Another lasted a couple of months, one lasted about a month, and another lasted about nine months (that was how long it took me to grow up and realize it wasn't going to work). Morgan and I have been together about 2 1/2 years now. October 10th, 2009 is when we started officially being boyfriend and girlfriend.

Of those, I kissed three (closed-mouth, at that) and went father with one (guess which).

Point is, it's not about numbers. Each person you date is different. Some you'll mesh with, some you won't. You just have to learn what you can from the failed relationships (including "almosts") and see how things work out from there.

As usual.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Valerie wrote:*Good point about how one looks at things.*

Fair enough point. :) Maybe I'll see what I can do about learning a tad faster... XD

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Next

Return to General Discussion