[1-30-12] She's who I want to do me.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: Gisele, TCampbell

Re: [1-30-12] She's who I want to do me.

Postby Hexr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:32 pm

CBrachyrhynchos wrote:
Adrishiana wrote:Enjoy reconciling that with your rampant jealousy issues! <3

Well, given that Sara was being deceptive about an affair, I hardly call those jealousy issues irrational.

On the other hand, Sara was being deceptive about an affair because of aforementioned jealousy issues, unless I am gravely mistaken.
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
Hexr

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Hexr wrote:
CBrachyrhynchos wrote:

Well, given that Sara was being deceptive about an affair, I hardly call those jealousy issues irrational.

On the other hand, Sara was being deceptive about an affair because of aforementioned jealousy issues, unless I am gravely mistaken.

I'm assuming that Sara told Daphne about the two day crush before she left for Hollywood, if only because Sara was at least trying to be very careful with how her image was presented during her time in Hollywood and would probably not have spilled such a thing about Penny on national TV (unless, of course, she didn't name Penny at all and Daphne figured it out, but I think Sara would have avoided talking about anything deeply personal if at all possible considering the cameras on her at all times).

If I remember correctly, she didn't even tell Daphne that Lucy was rooming with her before the emotional affair began because she figured that Daphne would read more into it than, at the time, existed.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby mindstalk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Thing is, Sara could be right, or she could be wrong but creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Not that I remember any jealous behavior from Daphne until the breakup. *Sara* was the one who reacted to Fred and Daphne kissing...
mindstalk

Postby CBrachyrhynchos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Hexr wrote:
CBrachyrhynchos wrote:

I don't consider that to be much of a mitigating factor. Most people in relationships are potentially jealous. I'm both deeply sympathetic and critical of Sara because I've done the same thing, and in the end, it just made things a lot worse.

To use a more positive example, about five years ago, my partner became jealous of a client I was working with (it happens). At that point, it was my responsibility to rebuild trust: no appointments after business hours, no appointments outside of the client's office, no letting appointments go overtime, and meeting my partner after every appointment.

Unless you're willing to quash the crush in its infancy, honesty is usually the best policy, and Sara owed Daphne a straight answer rather than passive-aggressively trying to manipulate Daphne into a fight, or becoming evasive on the subject.
CBrachyrhynchos

Postby CBrachyrhynchos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:08 pm

mindstalk wrote:Thing is, Sara could be right, or she could be wrong but creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Not that I remember any jealous behavior from Daphne until the breakup. *Sara* was the one who reacted to Fred and Daphne kissing...

In fact, Sara was trying to goad Daphne into a bad reaction, and failed to get it.
CBrachyrhynchos

Postby CBrachyrhynchos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 pm

But back to the current strip, I think Sara could benefit greatly from some low-key, non-committed dating and hanging out with a variety of people. There's a lot that Sara can learn about herself just by doing first dates with people (and the occasional friendly hook-up.)
CBrachyrhynchos

Postby Valerie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:Yeah, that part kind of puzzles me a tad, too. "Sara - why are you telling your first girlfriend who your first crush was? That's... a little odd, especially since said crush is your best non-girl-loving friend that your girlfriend isn't too fond of. *baffled expression*"

My first crush was a boy in kindergarten named Craig. He drew a firetruck for me. I'd better not tell my husband, if he uses any sort of Daphne-logic, since I'm pretty sure the Penny-crush was around kindergarten for Sara and was possibly for reasons just as trivial.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Valerie wrote:[ I'm pretty sure the Penny-crush was around kindergarten for Sara and was possibly for reasons just as trivial.

She was nine, but agreed on the trivial part, and on Daphne's reasoning being odd, there.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Freemage » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:04 pm

I've always kinda wondered when, exactly, Sara told Daphne about the "two-day crush". I see several possibilities, and all of them cause Daphne's actions to be given a different spin:

1: Between coming out to her friends and Charlotte's video. You know--when Sara was having her period of just letting everything spill out of her mouth because DAMN it was a relief to talk about it, and when Daphne was trying to invite Sara for "coffee" and was generally mooning over her and developing all sorts of Nice Guy resentments that built up into an overdose of stupid pills? No, it doesn't remotely excuse Daph's reaction to the rumor, but it might begin to explain part of it.

2: Between the video, and her decision to start dating Daphne after all. This would've been during the period when they were trying to re-establish their friendship and Daphne was working to regain her trust. Daphne is the type of individual who will self-critique by calling up a past failure; I could see Sara making a casual comment to the effect of, "Well, okay, the rape thing was just stupid, but I can't deny that my first girl-crush was on Penny. Hell, she was my best friend, so it's not that weird, you know?"

3: After getting together, before No Exit. This would've been similar to the above, I suspect, but probably with a bit more after-the-comment conversation. Discussed briefly, then set aside.

4: Post-Hollywood, pre-break-up. In which case it was probably a subtle attempt to goad Daphne into a hostile reaction, in order to prompt a fight, but Daphne was trying too hard to NOT make that sort of scene, so it flopped.

Hm... To the Q&A thread, Robin!
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby retrophrenologist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm

This thread has crossed the Daphne Discussion Derailment event horizon!

It's too late for us, save yourselves!!! :)
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm

retrophrenologist wrote:This thread has crossed the Daphne Discussion Derailment event horizon!

It's too late for us, save yourselves!!! :)

Good point; I'd rather discuss Michelle, since redheads rev my engine. :mrgreen:

Anyway, to be back on track for today's comic, it actually amuses me that Sara just came right in, got in bed, and started her canoe right down that river, swamping the poor little man(woman if that's your preference for that phrase.) Without even checking to make sure her roomie is asleep, or even there. Lisa was right. XD
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:Anyway, to be back on track for today's comic, it actually amuses me that Sara just came right in, got in bed, and started her canoe right down that river, swamping the poor little man(woman if that's your preference for that phrase.) Without even checking to make sure her roomie is asleep, or even there. Lisa was right. XD

Well, she isn't doing it with someone on the phone, and also, maybe she's the quiet sort of masturbator.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:09 pm

I just assumed that Sara at least directed a cursory glance over Lisa's bunk before stripping down to panties only - while it's entirely possible that Lisa and Sara are just unusually comfortable around one another, few people are quite that comfortable baring most of it all to people they aren't otherwise intimate with.

ETA, the ETAening: Freemage, I appreciate the Nice Guy reference to Daphne's behavior.
Last edited by Adrishiana on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby CBrachyrhynchos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Alice Macher wrote:
Valerie wrote:[ I'm pretty sure the Penny-crush was around kindergarten for Sara and was possibly for reasons just as trivial.

She was nine, but agreed on the trivial part, and on Daphne's reasoning being odd, there.

I don't find it that odd given the circumstances. Sara just admitted to lying to Daphne for weeks. She admitted that there's a "friend" involved. Sara's continuing to be evasive and contradict herself. So what's she hiding?

1) A play for BFF, newly out, apparently single Penny? (Penny didn't even know if she was in a relationship with Aggie at that point.)
2) Unknown LA Woman on a cast that Sara publicly didn't get along with?
3) A drunken night of Straight for Rich?
4) Lisa?
5) Aggie?

I've been on both sides of that particular argument, and I think Sara got off easy.
CBrachyrhynchos

Postby Ameyal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:25 pm

weirdfish13 wrote:...under that outfit, those are some shockingly boring underpants.

Nah, she just put the thong backwards.
Keep smiling! It makes people wonder what you've been up to :D

Shameless Plug-in :D
Ameyal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion