Dress This Mess

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: Gisele, TCampbell

Dress This Mess

Postby TCampbell » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 pm

We promised ourselves we'd keep the fashions simple on this strip compared to its predecessor, both because that's truer to the college on which it's based, and because it fits our skill set better. But this is one time where we want to come up with something that's just exaggerated enough to send a clear message, without making it look like we've shifted the setting to clown college.

So, fashionistas in the audience, I ask you plainly:

What will Sara and Lisa's "most slutastic clothes" look like?
TCampbell
Site Admin

Re: Dress This Mess

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 am

Lisa's shirt will be one of those that were popular some time ago, with the well-defined abs and chest airbrushed on the front. You decide if the torso is male or female.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:21 am

T, you know I love you and Jason and I love your work, right?

That said, the notion of a reader-participation fashion suggestion thing with a "slut" theme doesn't sit well with me. And although I can only speak for myself, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are others who feel that way.

It's one thing if one of your characters uses the term in a way that one shouldn't, i.e. associating a style of dress with gendered moral judgements. But this goes a bit beyond that, I think. That's all I'm going to say about this.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 am

Alice, I don't necessarily disagree with you, per se, but the fact that T. is quoting Lisa (who, generally, gave me the impression that she's using "slut" in a positive taking-the-word-back fashion, for whatever that's worth to you personally) may moderate the sting a bit.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:16 am

Okay, for Lisa, I'd suggest a sheer white blouse over the bra from the Avatar phone-sex scene, possibly done in that tied-over-the-bra-line thing. Skirt similar to her usual one, but shorter. Underwear (should we get another panty-flash) should be brightly colored--red or pink, probably of the lacy variety rather than a thong. Red heels, not too outrageously high, but more than she normally wears. Overall effect should hint at, without quite screaming out, "Naughty Catholic Schoolgirl."

Sara probably has more options, since, y'know, she went through her "Milan" phase in high school and might be able to draw that out. I'm gonna say black mixi leather skirt, matching knee-high boots (moderate heel--you don't need to oversell when you're in those sorts of boots) with buckles up the sides. Shirt... hell, go with the shirt from this strip. Overall effect: A somewhat Dom-y vibe, a side of herself that she doesn't let out that often, but which does exist (See: Make-outs with Daph, her desire for a relationship with someone 'simple').

On "slutastic"--I agree it's a problematic phrase. I'm hoping that my concerns about this particular storyline are wrong, for related reasons. However, at this point, I'm assuming T. was making a reference to the strip, with the understanding that it was going to be Lisa pushing for a particular look.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby Valerie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 am

Backing up the slut talk. I hate that the word even exists, but Lisa's trying to use it in a positive fashion, and T's just quoting her here.

As for what to wearrrr~
I kinda like Freemage's suggestions, honestly. Sara would do something black and lacy while Lisa does something like a more skin-showing version of her normal outfit. If you wanna keep it simple, maybe a short-ish skirt and a top with spaghetti straps? And her old smiley pin, please? <3

Oh, and makeup. Lisa could do with some pink lip gloss, I think. Sara's normal makeup should be fine. Maybe toss a little mascara on them.

I dunno if it's been obvious, but I moved recently and am super-busy. Got my old job back and doing a lot of repair work on a house. So I'm not/won't be around too much for maybe a week or two.
Last edited by Valerie on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby TCampbell » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 am

To what others have said about "slutastic":

Yeah, and it's in quotes for a reason. It means "the clothes Lisa is having them change into," and I only use the word to show the frame of mind Lisa's trying to get them both in. I'm not big into making value judgments about women who seek sex... I mean, I feel like most people who've read 100 pages or so of my stuff must know that.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Pinkachu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

I'm not sure what a rush party is so I'm not sure if Lisa wearing raver gear is unacceptable but that is my suggestion. ie; bikini top, booty shorts/skirt, thigh highs (or leggings, tights, fishnets whatever) plus all the colours of the rainbow!

As for Sara... I like what the others are suggesting but lets add a corset too? >:3
Pinkachu

Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:01 am

Pinkachu wrote:I'm not sure what a rush party is so I'm not sure if Lisa wearing raver gear is unacceptable but that is my suggestion. ie; bikini top, booty shorts/skirt, thigh highs (or leggings, tights, fishnets whatever) plus all the colours of the rainbow!

As for Sara... I like what the others are suggesting but lets add a corset too? >:3

Rush party = parties hosted by Greek organizations (sororities and fraternities) seeking to attract new recruits.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby Twitcher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 am

Lisa would wear something bold, and neon, multicolored makeup, maybe some henna tattoos, her hair would be wilder than usual, and she'd wear it down, in a style reminiscent of Jessica Rabbit.

Sara would be classy casual, with clothes specifically chosen to accentuate her curves. Platforms, maybe? I have a feeling that both of them will want to feel tall.
Twitcher

Postby Valerie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 am

Twitcher wrote:her hair would be wilder than usual, and she'd wear it down

Ooh, ooh, yes. Lisa needs her hair down for this.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby oenone » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:29 am

I think Lisa would go straight up raver goth for her smexiest outfit.

Think fishnets/really cool stockings + dramatic kneehighs

http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.279615071.jpg

But only the bottom half. The top would be a cute corsette/half-corset

[idk if the image is sfw so here's a link: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8a8_XF6mqnI/T ... -06-10.jpg ]

Or Lisa could be like the girl I see sometimes at club, who wears serious fluffy leg warmers with tremendously awesome heels, fishnets, a white fox tail, and a fluffy bra top, and fangs.

Anyways, I see Lisa as going more goth raver because it's a slightly dated/retro-esque style (really 90s imo) that still leaves a lot of room for movement, and that incorporates for wackiness with a kind of cyberpunk sexy/dangerous edge.
Alice Macher wrote:
Oenone wins the thread.
oenone

Postby bunnyThor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:05 am

I can't decide between jumpsuits and motorcycle helmets or bodypaint and glitter.

So let's split the difference with cat ears, tube tops, and sweat pants.
bunnyThor

Postby bunnyThor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Actually, they could both get the effect that Lisa is going after just by exchanging outfits and "workin' it".

90% of dressing for effect is in stance and attitude.
bunnyThor

Next

Return to General Discussion