11/09/11 - HAHAHAHAHAHA!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: Gisele, TCampbell

Re: 11/09/11 - HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:30 am

sun tzu wrote:I gotta admit...Around the time of "The Popsicle Wars", I was getting the jarring impression that the population of Bellevile had spontaneously decided Sara was the best person ever, for no reason.

I'm assuming you mean the part of "The Popsicle War" before the rape libel, but even then, I don't recall any spike, within the comic, in Sara's popularity or respect. I could imagine people at school noticing her more because of her makeover, but that was some time before "The Popsicle War" started.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Ollie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am

Tamar wrote:As for "crushes," I believe sun tzu meant Lisa's ever-changing celebrity crushes. Apart from that, we know from T's post about their FWB relationship that she came to like Stan a lot, but drew the line at allowing herself to fall in love with him, and asked him to do the same. Also that she had an easier time with sticking to that rule than he did.

Aww. I didn't see that. I hope it comes up in the comic, I'd love to see more of that.

also, meeehh to the celebrity crushes. If you're not feeling crushed by it, it's not a real crush.
Ollie

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:40 am

@Ollie: For your reference: [1] and [2]. Thanks to Freemage for creating the thread and copypasting the first post into it from the Q&A thread for easier access.

Oh, and in a part of T's first post that Freemage didn't copypaste (I think it was at the beginning), T said that some of Lisa's and Stan's history probably will be addressed in Quiltbag.
Alice Macher

Postby Ollie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:44 am

ah, grazie!
Ollie

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:54 am

You're welcome, Ollie!

And yeah, totally agree on the celebrity crushes bit. Nothing wrong with her having them, of course; it's something most people do at one point or another, but P&A treated those pretty much as a running gag. Although her RDJ crush did reveal a touchingly warm and compassionate side to Lisa. Still, even there, she couldn't ever actually exercise the empathy she felt for RDJ, because she'll never meet him. (And, he's married.)
Alice Macher

Postby Mec » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Valerie wrote:I don't wanna start a fight or anything, but I really have to ask. How is Sara like Cyndi? They're both decent planners, sure, but I think the similarities stop there.

They both got to second base with Daphne?
"The fair Ophelia! -- Nymph, in thy orisons be all my sins remembered."
Mec

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:39 pm

^ Mec wins the thread.
Alice Macher

Postby sun tzu » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Alice Macher wrote:
sun tzu wrote:I gotta admit...Around the time of "The Popsicle Wars", I was getting the jarring impression that the population of Bellevile had spontaneously decided Sara was the best person ever, for no reason.

I'm assuming you mean the part of "The Popsicle War" before the rape libel, but even then, I don't recall any spike, within the comic, in Sara's popularity or respect. I could imagine people at school noticing her more because of her makeover, but that was some time before "The Popsicle War" started.

It was a variety of small things, like Charlotte in the 2nd panel here.
sun tzu

Postby Mr. Brightside » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:09 pm

I didn't get the feeling that was new - I mean, look back at "Omega Sisters," or pretty much Aggie's entire arc.
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby Valerie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:17 pm

sun tzu wrote:
Alice Macher wrote:

It was a variety of small things, like Charlotte in the 2nd panel here.

Eh, Sara's basically always been roughly as popular as Penny, I think. They're best friends, they run in the same clique, attend the same parties, etc. This is a case of Charlotte (and the rest of the IG) being familiar with them because they're the enemies. Charlotte's super-religious and probably liked that pre-makeover Sara seemed very reserved and righteously angry when she did talk. Penny she probably saw all kinds of flaws in, and Michelle's always been boy-crazy. Katy-Ann pissed Charlotte off because they had such different views on the same book. Brandi's promiscuous, so basically the same problem as Michelle... So, of that group, pre-gay Sara is the least hate-able to a typical fundamental Christian.
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.

Information on child abuse and neglect.

The Christian Left

Chat About
Valerie

Postby lokisdottir » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Re the Sara-Daphne breakup, I liked the way Sara finally manned up (to sound like Rich) and admitted she was being a brat and a coward about trying to make the breakup Daphne's fault. Sure she dithered for weeks before, but as a master ditherer I can understand the avoidance of something so painful. Besides, given how jealous Daphne gets I thought it was reasonable for Sara to try to leave Lucy out of it altogether. It really was about Sara's issues, after all, and it wouldn't have been fair for Lucy to take the blame. Also, given the image much of the television-viewing audience now has of Lucy, I really don't think Daphne's disbelief/scorn would have helped an already awful situation.

Also, Mec: *snerk* You are made of win.
Alice Macher wrote:I hereby add lokisdottir to my Internet crushes. ♥

Valerie wrote:
Mbadb wrote:
danslepoubelle wrote:
Dang lokisdottir, post more often

I second that emotion.

Third. <3
lokisdottir

Postby MudFlap33 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Mr. Brightside wrote:I didn't get the feeling that was new - I mean, look back at "Omega Sisters," or pretty much Aggie's entire arc.

Agreed. Sara was regarded several times as being the most "approachable" of the Pennies by outsiders (even when they didn't really trust her *because* she was a Penny). There's some validity to it, because, even pre-coming out, she did approach people like Aggie on a few occasions, which probably is why she had this kind of reputation. Also, she's one of the few characters we saw who had two different "groups" of friends in the comic (both the Pennies and the Peacies during the Popsicle Wars, until they merged, partially her doing)--recall that Katy-Ann says she doesn't have just one group of friends, but we only see her with the Pennies and its subsequent mergers; those other groups of friends didn't end up playing a role. Sara's did. This probably made her appear uber-popular during that arc.
adamiani wrote:Hormones are the real unsung heroes of this series!
MudFlap33

Previous

Return to General Discussion